TMNT Talkback "Turtles Forever" (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Ian, Nov 21, 2009.

?

"Turtles Forever" is a love letter to fans. How much do you love it back?

1. Five stars

97 vote(s)
    72.9%
  2. Four stars

28 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Three stars

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Two stars

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. One star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I want to banish it to Dimension X with the Technodrome.

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocksā„¢

^ Like Speedy, I was watching this on 4kidstv.com and it was awesome! The 1987 Turtles were my favorite, they had a great sense of humor, no they had a infinite sense of humor and butt-kicking skills! Since I was getting back into watching TMNT so I can prepare for the 2012 series that's airing on Nickelodeon I decided to watch this. Honestly the last time I've seen a TMNT episode was back in 2005. It was on Miguzi. They ended this with a bang and I don't know why but it felt like they wrapped it up like the Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends series finale. We will see you again, Turtles!

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not a TMNT fan, but I thought it was okay. I can see why fans would love it. The writers really tries to make it an awesome farewell for fans; it showed in the writing and jokes and references.

3. Santino

Santino Member

I know you think it can't change back to the goofy way it was before, but even if it was just a theory of mine before, it's actually canon.

You heard right, the OT changes back after season 10. Watch "Once Upon a Time Machine". It takes place in the future where stuff is totally goofy like seasons 1-7 and the sky is not red.

Turtles Forever takes place after season 10.

4. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Too bad that's one of the two/three episodes that got skipped in the DVD releases...:sweat:

(Well, I mean, I've watched it, but...)

5. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

I loved this program. It's chock full of hilarious moments. Like when Hun got mad at retro-Raphael for talking to the audience. And how retro-Shredder kept trying to be buddy-buddy with The Shredder.

I haven't seen the old cartoon in about 3 maybe 3.5 years but they aren't always that silly are they?

6. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

There was some exaggeration, but it was necessary for the humor and comparison though. The first episode, however, did showcase the Turtles dwelling too much on Pizza.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Turtles Forever was a very good special, but its treatment of the retro turtles was not a homage so much as a crazy parody. Hopefully this was entirely intentional, because they didn't succeed if they were trying to authentically recall the 1987 series. Now yes, I'm relying on memory and I literally have not seen the original series since the 1990s. However, whatever my nostalgia may do it doesn't lead me to claim that the 1987 series was amazing or equal to the 2003 series. It certainly wasn't, though as 1980s cartoons go it started out very well. For the time, not bad.

From this perspective I say that the series was reliably silly much of the time, especially as it got older. The special's depiction of the retro Turtles' world is pretty much correct, and so is the way it makes fun of the old series' stories and how April literally had to get saved all of the time. But the Turtles themselves, I think, were not absurd.

More to the point, what they certainly weren't in the original series were the semi-cowardly pushovers that Turtles Forever portrayed them as. In the special, they'd fight one moment and get scared out of their wits or utterly stomped in the next. It was incredible how they were literally crying in 4Kids Raphael's arms toward the end. Really? Really?! What *I* remember are the 1987 TMNT charging into goofy fights while shouting "COWABUNGA!" and "Turtles fight with honor!", etc. The retro Turtles in Turtles Forever possessed 10% of that courage at best.

The way it skewered the 1987 villains, however, is pretty much how I remember things. Let's face it, Shredder and Krang became walking pushovers more and more as time passed, ultimately competing with classic Cobra Commander in terms of stunning incompetence. Rocksteady and BeBop, meanwhile, were absolutely their old selves. I thought it was perfect that their idiocy was what did in Utrom Shredder.

Anyhow, count me among those that think that the introduction of the original TMNT from the comics was easily the best moment of the special. The way they took that gritty setting and brought it to life was practically inspired.

8. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Like Antiyonder said above, yes, the '80's Turtles were a little exaggeratedly silly, but for the narrative it was necessary of humor and comparison purposes.

As for the '80's Turtles' alleged 'cowardice', you have to look at it like this: the '87 Turtles came from a world where their fiercest adversaries were annoying porcelain eating imps, gangsters who torture their victims by tickling them with feathers and a silly Shredder who argues with a talking brain like they're an old married couple and invents hyper-gravity rays which stick peoples' feet to the ground and brainwashes businessmen to become crooks in feeble attempts to take over the world. Now they've been suddenly thrust into a situation where the stakes are actually high--as in the end of everything high--and they could actually be killed. Just facing a formidable Shredder who's an actual threat and whose goons weren't easily breakable robots or incompetent birdbrains and perils that they can't joke their way out of would be unnerving enough, and in their defense, the 80's Turtles were pretty brave when the adventure started; they just didn't take it seriously at first because they didn't take anything seriously, and given the nature of their universe's foes, that's not surprising. But as the story went on, things just kept getting worse and more dangerous; the 80's Turtles slowly began coming to the realization that they wouldn't be able to just laugh their way out of this one and this could really be it for them and everyone and everything else, so bearing all that in mind, it's not surprising that the guys were a little rattled toward the end.

#388 Silverstar, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010
  9. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

As someone who has seen the original TMNT toon many times, and owns all 8 seasons, (someone get Lionsgate to release Seasons 9 and 10 already!), I can safely say I liked their portrayals.

The only scene I didn't like was the crying scene, but the rest was fine.

10. Ducard

Ducard Active Member

11. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

Oh sweet, I gotta own it :)
    I just saw it, and I've watched it three times already and never gets old.
    The comedy and action is awesome, along with the animation.
    I mean, they got the animation down with the 80's turtles, I was happy about that. Than how the 2003 Turtles reacted with the 80's turtles was extremlly funny. I loved the fourth wall breaking scenes, those were the best. I do wish both Leo's had interactions with each other, but oh wells I did like 80's Leo ideas on how to do things, dispite him not being serious as old 80's Leo. One scene I really liked, was when the 80's turtles realized that maybe they need start taking things seriously now and Leo says lets do it, the music and every thing was cool at that part. And LOL 2003 Mikey was perfect here, he cracked me up :p

I gotta give this a 5/5.

12. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

13. Ducard

Ducard Active Member

14. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

What is the supposed missing 20 mins then? D:

15. TKnHappyNess

TKnHappyNess Active Member

16. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

It means we won't be getting the scenes that were cut in the TV airing.
    The uncut verison is still on 4Kids' site for the time being, however.

17. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

The director's cut is only 78 minutes actually, so it's only missing 8 minutes. And it's just random scenes that are cut for time...the movie still works without them. Someone posted a list of the deleted scenes somewhere in this thread, but I'm too lazy to search for them.

18. cohenmarioman

cohenmarioman Active Member

Wow, only 8 minutes. I think I remember them.

One was when Karia was showing how they would upgrade the base with Ultrom technology, 2 minutes or so were cut. Another one was when The Shredder was crushing the prime turtles, he himself was being erased. He then realizes he must destroy himself to destroy the turtlles. He goes forward and tries to crush them again.

There are much smaller edits, but these I remember were quite big edits.

Uh ... 4kids isn't making money on this as far as I know.

19. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

I still can't understand why websites only limit viewing to US countries, that's why I can't watch in 4kids XP

Thanks anyway!

20. cohenmarioman

cohenmarioman Active Member

4kids does not own streaming rights to their shows outside of America, it would be illegal for them to have it available to other areas.