1. If you are seeing non-stop CMP acceptance notifications, go here and we will help you troubleshoot:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-cmp-acceptance-notice.5663692/
    If you are seeing non-stop Privacy/ToS acceptance notifications, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-privacy-terms-acceptance.5663702/
    If you are seeing threads with no posts at all, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/threads-with-no-content.5663811/
    Please note that these are separate issues. Posting in the correct thread will help us resolve the issue faster.
    Dismiss Notice

Time Warner is not splitting

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by sasq, Mar 4, 2018.

1. sasq

sasq Active Member

AT&T merger has been approved, this post is now old news.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Screen Rant:

#1 sasq, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

Now this TimeWarner deal helped me understand that Turner and WB are technically separate entwrprises despite being owned by the same company.

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

What’s going to happen to CN’s relation with Warner Bros Animation if this occurs? What will happen to Boomerang?

In the end, maybe nothing will happen. Time Warner’s companies are notorious for its lack of coporate synergy compared to Disney. I was once told in art school that the companies are only together for tax benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. sasq

sasq Active Member

I have mixed feelings for Time Warner selling their assets.

On one hand channels like TCM or Boomerang could be shut down or sold to Warner Bros. before they officially put their 3 divisions for sale.

On the other hand i'm very thankful for this sale, Turner has been trying to turn Italian channel Boing into a FTA CN, complettely forgetting the fact that they're not the only owner (Mediaset owns 51%), but Italy and America have different cultures/histories and they should have respected this, i really hope we are in the last months of this ownership.

It's also very possible Sony Pictures may buy Turner, why? because Sony is the only major company with a limited number of cable channels in the US (they only own Sony Movie Channel and GSN, correct me if i'm wrong), hence why Sony could be very interested in Turner.

Not to mention that Sony Pictures has had some box office bombs and problems as of late, buying Turner and its proprieties could very well help Sony, a Sony-owned Cartoon Network could even have less Teen Titans Go! (a WB propriety) airings than a TW-owned Cartoon Network.

Sony also owns Pop Italy, which would be enough of an alarm for AGCM to force a sale of Boing (it would happen anyway).

And a merger isn't even impossible, Sony already owns TruTV UK.

5. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

Boomerang being a hub for modern WB Animation content would most likely rename.

6. sasq

sasq Active Member

Even TCM could rebrand, but in that case the acronym would remain and the only thing that will be dropped from the name is Turner, the name would become: TCM Classic Movies.

7. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

Similarly to what happened with TCM in Latin America.

8. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

This would be interesting. Very interesting.

9. sasq

sasq Active Member

Is the thing you use for information of Adult Swim Jr. offline or online? backup the data in case of Sony (or whoever buys Turner) shutting it down.

10. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Sony buying Turner would be very interesting. This would mean that the Hanna-Barbera catalog would return full circle to Sony (among other things, they would own The Flintstones again). You see, Screen Gems (the original name of Sony's TV division) was Hanna-Barbera's original partner before Taft came along. Additionally, two of Hanna-Barbera's shows are based on I Dream of Jeannie and The Partridge Family (the latter of whom--without their mom--appear in some episodes of Goober and the Ghost Chasers). Oh yeah, since Sony owns the animated Q*Bert shorts from Saturday Supercade, it would be one step closer to Saturday Supercade getting back together again*. However, I'm not completely sure I support this idea. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of TCM possibly rebranding. I mean, look what happened to AMC...

*They say that Universal owns the Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. shorts (after Universal sued Nintendo, claiming that Donkey Kong was copying King Kong), but this hasn't really been confirmed.

11. sasq

sasq Active Member

Hanna-Barbera is owned by Warner Bros., which has done nothing with it outside of Scooby Doo, however DC Comics has been speculated that it will be sold separately like WB/Turner/HBO, if this is true, Hanna-Barbera could be for sale in the same way.

Sony not only may need Hanna-Barbera to make Sony Pictures Animation's library bigger, but to also prevent the early [adult swim] series from going into rights limbo.

A name rebrand, not turning into an entertainment channel like AMC.

12. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

Unless TCM would become some sort of backronym, like "The Choice for Movies".

13. PF9

PF9 Active Member

We should hope the AT&T deal goes through. A split-up Time Warner is not what the media business needs.

Boomerangfan101 and Fone Bone like this.
  14. sasq

sasq Active Member

I agree, especially when Time Inc. is dead and there is no problem with the name Time Warner anymore.

But if they put all of their assets for sale, I think Sony would be a great home for Turner.

15. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

TCM is excellent film entertainment. I hope it never changes. FilmStruck is a streaming service made from both TCM and Criterion. If you ever purchased a Criterion disc, you know you get your money's worth. Chock full of content.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

16. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

Plus TCM is one of the fewest channels to have suffered from lack of network decay in the USA, even though it rarely averted itself. Its international branches did suffer from network decay: EMEA branches airing modern films and Latin America switching its format to a comedy channel.

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if Universal will try to buy the Hanna Barbera library. Those characters will make a great fit for Dreamworks Classics. DWA TV will have plenty of characters to make new shows and movies with, and will likely make more use of all their characters compared to what Warner Bros. have been doing. Not to mention Dreamworks TV and Universal Kids will have plenty of content to air.
    Don’t know what CN, Boomerang DC Comics, or Warner Bros will do without Hanna-Barbera, but none of them will be the same once they lose Scooby-Doo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I'm kind of on the fence about this; one concern I have is if DC is sold, who will they sell it to? Or how will it shape it's reputation and how will if affect the buyer as well as the consumer?

And if it's possible for Disney (of course) to buy it... well I could see DC and Marvel doing crossovers again in the comics, and hopefully in animation; then again The Looney Tunes might no longer be affiliated with DC for their own parodies.

That aside however, that just further adds more concern about Disney's potential monopoly with owning too much and how owning that much property can hurt creativity through out the entertainment industry, as well as make things harder for consumers since prices rise as creativity plummets.

I don't know.

19. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I don't think you quite understand. Hanna-Barbera as a company doesn't exist anymore. After William Hanna passed on, it was absorbed into Warner Bros. Animation. I'm talking about the classic catalog (which apparently also includes everything made by Ruby-Spears* before they became independent); everything made with the Hanna-Barbera name before that happened. Now, you are right in that anything made by Warner Bros. Animation would fall under Warner Bros. Television (rather than Turner), and thus would be owned by Warner Bros., but anything made by "Hanna-Barbera" or "Cartoon Network Studios" (but not "Warner Bros. Animation") would be owned by Sony if this were to happen, so what I said before still applies; the Hanna-Barbera catalog would return full circle to Sony if this were to happen. Oh, and by the way, there is a Flintstones movie. so Warner Bros. has done more with the catalog than just Scooby-Doo (it was a WWE crossover, but still).

You know, that's funny. One fantasy logo idea I once had was to have the "swirling star" logo play but with the long version of the old "Revue TV" jingle playing, with the second part of the jingle playing as it cuts to the Universal TV logo. Of course, if Universal were to buy the Hanna-Barbera library, naturally they would never do that (well, I hope, anyway)....

*That isn't owned by other companies (such as the animated Police Academy series, which is owned by Warner Bros. directly)

#19 Mandouga, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  20. PF9

PF9 Active Member

Actually if I'm not mistaken the H-B catalog (not including shows made for CN) is also under WB.