Thoughts on Space Jam

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by PapaGreg, Jan 26, 2018.

1. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

So Space Jam used to be my jam as a kid and I decided to rewatch as an adult and man It didn't really age well, I'm not going to go on about the croos promotion or Lola Bunny but Michael Jordan is really hard to watch, he is so boring and uncharismatic. No wonder Gary Oldman made this video.

2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The shoe commercial was boss though.

3. Lock n' Stock

Lock n' Stock Space Koala

I haven't seen Space Jam in years, I never remember caring for it much tbh. It would probably be worth a rewatch, but it probably hasn't aged well. One thing I do recall is Chuck Jones hated it with a passion.

4. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Well-Known Member

I liked Space Jam as a kid, I believe I saw it when it came out. I've seen it relatively recently too and thought it held up fine. Jordan did a pretty good job in my opinion, he kind of just played the straight man throughout, which was serviceable to me all things considered. Would love to see LeBron James' take on a sequel.

5. Milofan30

Milofan30 Member

HA I saw it in theatre with my mom as a kid, I actually enjoyed it. I thought Lola was pretty cool, I liked this version instead of the nut we got in the Looney Tunes series but that's just me. I also liked Bill Murray's role in this, he was hilarious.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Looney Tunes Show Lola is far superior but I agree that Bill Murray makes everything better.

7. Pooky

Pooky Member

This was the first time (at age 10) I was really let down by a movie. I was so naive I didn't know quite how to process it; a Hollywood studio couldn't bring out a heavily-hyped expensive movie with all my favourite characters if it wasn't good, could they? No, it's me who must be wrong! Yet from the very first saccharine scene with Michael Jordan throwing his first childhood dunk, a shuddering realisation that I wasn't getting what I had been sold came over me. What followed was a bland story and a procession of forced jokes which I could see were trying but just never made me laugh.

In fairness, I come from the UK where we just about know who Michael Jordan is and have no vested interest in basketball so I can't comment on it from that perspective. But as a Warner Bros cartoon fan it never sat right for me. For reference around the same time I saw Batman & Robin in theatres and thought it was OK, so I certainly didn't have impeccable taste (though I would still argue B&R has more merit than Space Jam)

I haven't seen it in full in about 20 years now. If I saw it now the 90s nostalgia, both personal and generalised, might be enough to make it a more enjoyable experience, though I doubt it will ever seem like a good use of the characters. At the end of the day it's harmless, and it made a lot of kids happy; just not me!

• Like Like x 1
  8. TeridaxXD001

TeridaxXD001 Member

I liked it as a kid, though I remember finding the live-action scenes boring sometimes. I haven't seen it in many years, and I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much now. It was really just capitalizing on the glory of the Chicago Bulls, and Michael Jordan in particular, though the fact that I'm actually from the Chicago area made this more tolerable. But in any case, it has to hold up better than Looney Tunes: Back in Action, which was never really popular to begin with.

At this point in history, however, Bill Murray has remained more culturally relevant than Michael Jordan (and he's from Chicago, too!).

• Like Like x 1