This Month in Music (May)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kury Wagner

Kury Wagner Jizzyboobgirlkury

Some Indie, some English, some... hip-hop? o_O

Due to Mugen's suggestion, I picked up Mos Def's Black on Both Sides.

Also:

-Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank.
    -Travis' The Boy With No Name.
    -The Kooks' Inside In, Inside Out.
    -Kaiser Chiefs' Yours Truly, Angry Mob.

2. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

[​IMG][​IMG]
    My Helloween collection is nearing completion.

3. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

Symphony X - Paradise Lost has leaked.

"Set The World On Fire" (Track 2) is just finishing but it's already kicking my ass.

4. The Myst

Just to get this topic moving a bit again, what I've been obsessed with lately:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

Last night I went to see Cursive, Against Me! and Mastodon. It was a pretty killer show, though I've gotta say that I wasn't very impressed by Cursive. Their setlist seemed poorly conceived, and there were far too many drunk chicks slamming into me and screaming along in my general vicinity for me to really get into the band. Against Me! ripped, though. It was my first time seeing them, and they played so well and everyone in the room got into it so much that I didn't even realize that they didn't play some of my favorite songs until well after the fact. I'm a bit skeptical about their new album, but they still put on a solid live show. I almost left before Mastodon played, but I'm glad I didn't. I'm not all that familiar with them, but I liked everything I heard. I would've bought a CD of theirs, but they were charging 15 bucks for 'em over at the merch table, so I passed. If this slightly eclectic tour rolls into your area, I highly suggest you go and check it out, it's worth the semi-high ticket price.

6. The Myst

Mastodon's great. I've heard they're kinda boring live though.

Glad you had a good time.

7. Carlos

Carlos Active Member

What is your opinion on the album?

8. The Myst

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos leaked.

Pretty good. I think "Constant Motion" and "The Dark Eternal Night" (The ones that came out previously) are two of the weakest on the album so far which is a good thing.

9. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I'm a bit late but.... BLUR REUNION!

Wooo!

Graham's back! :)

Well, if all goes well. (I'm uncharacteristically positive about it.)

10. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

I'm a bit behind on leaks.

Symphony X's Paradise Lost is a masterpiece. Absolutely stunning. It's about as heavy as metal can get while still being musical, and yet it's as melodic as any classical music. Worth the five-year wait, in my opinion; my jaw hit the floor within ninety seconds of starting it up for the first time.

Kamelot's Ghost Opera is pretty good. Not their best work, but far from their worst, and it's really growing on me. It may not have any real stand-out tracks, but it's pretty strong as a full album.

Must get Systematic Chaos...

11. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Speaking of leaks, QOTSA's Era Vulgaris is... somehow not leaking despite just about everyone in the music industry having a promo copy. Curse their uncharacteristic honesty!

12. The Myst

In this month comes the release of Devin Townsend's new album Ziltoid The Omniscient.

He gave a press conference for it today in London which turned out to be a saucy puppet show followed by a bunch of sketchy details about him announcing the abolition of Strapping Young Lad and The Devin Townsend Band and his retirement from live touring.

Here's the article on that.

This doesn't seem exactly true because of what Devin himself posted on the net later...

So basically... nobody knows what the hell's going on but it looks like Devin's going on an extended sabbatical from the business.

This could actually be the end of Strapping Young Lad and The Devin Townsend Band forever or it might not. Nobody's really sure.

But um... either way, this sucks.

13. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

I'm very happy with this album. At least as far as overall consistency, I think it's their best album since Scenes From A Memory, although the second disc of Six Degrees or the titular track from Octavarium would both trump anything found here on their own.

14. The Myst

It's gonna need time to grow on me before I'll put it above Octavarium but it's a great album.

15. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

16. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

17. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

[​IMG]
    I finally managed to pick up my favorite Maiden album while on break at work today.

18. The Myst

My favorite too. I love that album.

19. Bahamut_King

Bahamut_King Member

I got the new Björk cd this week, Volta. It's amazing, more radio friendly than her last two albums. It's also quite worldly with a Chinese pipa player, a kora player from Mali, African drummers, and a 10 piece brass section from Iceland. There's really only one track that I don't particularly care for which is Pneumonia, aside from that it's absolutely beautiful. There's a lot of ambiance throughout as one song transitions into the next. The best example I can give is at the beginning of the first track Earth Intruders you hear people marching through the jungle as the tribal drums kick in, as the song ends the marching continues to the edge of the jungle and into a harbor as you hear boat horns and ships departing and the second track Wanderlust begins.

The standout tracks are definitely Earth Intruders, Wanderlust, Dull Flame of Desire, and Declare Independence (which is confirmed to be the next single from the album and the video will Björk's seventh video directed by Michel Gondry).

20. The Myst

Diamond Head made a MySpace and put two new songs on it. They sound pretty good.

Not much more to say than that. I know I'm probably the only one here that's heard of them. For reference, they're probably the single biggest influence on Metallica. Early in Metallica's career, they would perform Diamond Head covers and casually forget to mention that they were covers (>_>). They've covered five different Diamond Head songs in the studio. They also blantantly stole the riff from Diamond Head's "Dead Reckoning" for "Seek And Destroy". In 1993, Lars Ulrich actually convinced Diamond Head to get back together (They split in 1984/1985) and record a new album. They've continued to record and perform since, though Brian Tatler (Their guitar player and primary song writer) is the only original member present anymore. Losing Steve Harris (Their singer and other song writer) was a big blow but they made a pretty good album in 2005. The new songs are from their upcoming follow-up to that album.

Their albums:

Lightning To The Nations (1980; Their best one and their most famous. Includes "Am I Evil?", "It's Electric", "Sucking My Love", "The Prince", and "Helpless", all of which were covered by Metallica.)
    Borrowed Time (1982; A good follow-up.)
    Canterbury (1983; Despite being their most commercial sounding album at that point, it still failed to make any commercial impact. It's good but not as good as the first two.)
    Untitled (1984; Recorded as a follow-up to Canterbury. The band broke up soon after, the album was scrapped, and the material has never surfaced.)
    Death And Progress (1993; Recorded upon the encouragement of Lars Ulrich of Metallica. Features guest appearances from Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath and Dave Mustaine of Megadeth and Metallica. The album is even more commercialized sounding. The whole album is in the style of late 80's/early 90's Aerosmith. It's good but not great. Probably their weakest album.)
    All Will Be Revealed (2005; First album featuring Nick Tart on vocals. A lot better than Death And Progress. Sounds like a whole new band really. It's a good album though, about as good as Canterbury.)
    What's In Your Head (2007; The two new songs sound more Diamond Head-ish than All Will Be Revealed but are very much in the new style as well. Looking forward to this.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.