"The X-Files (Season 10 and 11) (2016/2018 Television Mini-Series)" Talkback (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,998 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
X-FILES
"The Truth is Still Out There"

The X-Files have been re-opened! Agents Mulder and Scully return after 13 years to investigate a government conspiracy at the behest of a popular web-TV-show host, who introduces them to a woman who claims she's an alien abductee and shares startling news with them.

Follow The X-Files on Twitter

Fox.com - X-Files

Season 10
  1. My Struggle (January 24, 2016)
  2. Founder's Mutation (January 25, 2016)
  3. Mulder and Scully (February 1, 2016)
  4. Meet the Were-Monster (February 8, 2016)
  5. Home Again (February 15, 2016)
  6. Babylon May (February 22, 2016)
  7. My Struggle II (February 29, 2016)
Season 11
  1. My Struggle III (January 3, 2018)
  2. This (January 10, 2018)
  3. Plus One (January 17, 2018)
  4. The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat (January 24, 2018)
  5. Ghouli (January 31, 2018)

Related Threads

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
753 7
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
But the Lone Gunmen stopped a 9/11 type event months before September 11th 2001. How could 9/11 end up still happening in the X-Files universe? The Lone Gunmen are confirmed to return in this season, and I hope they don't ignore the 9/11 coincidence. The truth is out there.
According to this show's mythology aliens were supposed to have taken over the world years ago. There are a lot of unanswered questions.

Except for that guy who said Scully wouldn't age. He was right!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,998 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Felt like a strong opener, like the show never ended. Does feel like a giant mindscrew if that was the only alien that's ever been on Earth and everything else was just the Syndicate testing/employing ARVs. And the Smoking Man live! Figures.

Lord Dalek

Uncreative Hack
Aug 17, 2003
Ratings
Dalek Empire
Visit site
According to this show's mythology aliens were supposed to have taken over the world years ago. There are a lot of unanswered questions.
Judging from the fact that a bunch of characters who were killed off in the final season are suddenly back from the dead, I must wonder if any plot points brought up by Chris and Frank in Season 9 are still pertinent.

...then again, its not like anybody wants to remember season 9. Eugggh.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
644 2
Canada
I have to say, that finale was pretty good. It was nowhere near perfect, and I really am kind of wishing that Carter would hand over the reins to Glen Morgan. That said, it felt like stuff was actually happening. Way too often in X-Files, we saw Mulder and Scully fighting to prevent stuff, or the Syndicate forecasting terrible events, only for them to never occur. Here, finally, the conspiracy had real world results. I'm fine with the cliffhanger, season finales ending like that are an X-Files tradition. I do find it confusing that Scully basically declares victory after curing a few people, but they never explicitly say the emergency is over. I'd also like to address the controversy regarding the anti vaccine stuff present. No, Carter is not saying vaccines are bad. This show has been talking about the smallpox vaccine being a part of the conspiracy for a long time, and now they're just developing it further. Just because it's a hot topic now doesn't mean it's off limits for them to revisit this plot line, which I thought fit well. Overall, far from perfect, maybe a three out of five. I'd say that's what I'd give this reboot, which is kind of sad. I wanted to love it, but "pretty good" is the most of what I can say. Sadly, that's Carter's fault. James Wong and the Morgans all did their jobs well and turned in great episodes. Carter's episodes fell flat, and I'm worried he's turning into George Lucas. I love what he's created and I'll be eternally grateful for giving us The X-Files, but he seems to have lost his touch. I'll give this episode a pass overall, but I can't say the same for the other two he directed. Both had their moments, but were ultimately too sloppy to be considered good, IMO. Also consider his recent output, which really only consists of a poorly received Amazon pilot and the second X-Files movie. Neither were successful in any way, and I don't want things to continue in this direction. I would love another season, but with a new showrunner. That does me no joy, but I think it's time.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
644 2
Canada
Well it's about time. August isn't that far away, so they don't have much time to get the scripts together. That was the problem with the last season, a lot of the writing (especially from Chris Carter) was suspect at best. While I still enjoyed the season and am glad X-Files is an ongoing franchise once again, I hope there are improvements. Hopefully they've been coming up with story ideas in the past year, so that they're not just going to rush out finished drafts in a short period of time. I'd love to see Vince Gilligan and Frank Spotnitz back, but it doesn't like that's going to happen. Hopefully things turn out well.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,261 4
Framingham, MA
The X-Files "My Struggle III"

Wow, I am a little shocked how much I hated that. Has this always been The X-Files? Or have I misremembered the show completely? Or has this show always been this and my tastes have completely changed?

I don't know man, but I do know that seeing Scully battered and beaten all throughout the episode is extremely upsetting to me. And then to learn the Smoking Man raped and impregnated here? I am unsurprised this is Gillian Anderson's last season if this is the way Scully is going to be treated. Run, Gillian. And don't look back.

Yeah, I don't buy the idea that Skinner would betray Mulder and Scully for the reasons that he did. So of course, I am positive he is actually on their side. Which says to me that Chris Carter has pretty much jumped the "Skinner can't be trusted" shark. It's been over 20 years. This angle is getting super old.

As interested as I was that the season opened up with the Smoking Man revealing his name for the first time (Carl Gerhardt Bush) I found the footage of the Trump Administration far more upsetting than any previous X-Files footage. I'd rather watch Home five more times than that footage even once more. Carl Gerhardt at least tells us where the CG in CGI Spender came from.

Speaking of Spender, he looks better than we last saw him. Bless the miracles of skin grafts. He is far more helpful than he used to be, and yet he's far less helpful than a smarter person would be, which is totally in character.

For the record, the idea that the show is saying the moon landing was faked shows that they ARE running out of ideas. Yes, the show traffics in conspiracy theories. But that one is so dumb that giving it legitimacy actually damages the credibility of the franchise. What's next? 9/11 was an inside job or perhaps Obama's birth certificate was faked? Not all conspiracy theories are created equal, and the notion that the government is covering up aliens is not equivalent to the dumb idea that they faked the moon landing. One is plausible. The other is absolutely crazy. And you know you've gone down the rabbit hole with aliens visiting Earth is the more plausible thing.

I'll tell you why the fake moon landing thing is so ill-advised. If aliens landed in Roswell, America would have space technology at their disposal. That would make the moon landing MORE likely, not less. The proper conspiracy for the show to explore is to say the moon landing was orchestrated using stolen alien technology.

I am angry at Reyes, but on the other hand, I appreciated Chris Carter bringing her back. Needless to say, Reyes was one of the most unpopular characters from the original series ever, and even if Carter brought her back in an unflattering light, he still brought her back. It shows that Carter is willing to stand by his actors, even if the fans don't like them. I am not willing to give Carter much. But I'll give him that.

I hope the rest of the season is better, but with William being Cancer Man's rape baby, I don't see how it could be. **.

Last edited:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
644 2
Canada
Okaaaaaayyyy.... where to begin?

So first, let's get some positives out of the way. Complimenting the actors is pretty much a given at this point (though I thought Duchovny phoned it in), I though Mitch Pileggi and William B. Davis were particularly good in this episode. I also felt it was pretty well paced, and even exciting at times. I liked that there was actual buildup and disbelief to Mulder and Scully finding out that the CSM was alive. In My Struggle II, Mulder doesn't seem to at all question that CSM was alive. Now that they've had the chance to do it over again (And oh boy, we'll get to that), I appreciate that there's actual disbelief and fear over his return. I had no problem with Mulder not believing Scully at first, which I've noticed is something that some people online are troubled by.

Now. Let's do this, Chris Carter.

This episode was disgusting. I was sickened watching it. Watching Scully go through all that crap throughout was awful, what was Carter thinking? It was disturbing bordering on extremely creepy. And with all of that, we get the reveal about William. What kind of a sick, twisted, disgusting plot twist is that?!? Look, I never had the obsession with William that other fans have. I think that obsession comes from Mulder and Scully worshippers who want the two of them to have a child together, and that's something I don't relate to. In fact one of my complaints with Season 10 was how reliant it was on William. I understand how traumatic it would be for them to give him up, but I did get a bit sick of hearing him mentioned every 2.5 seconds. But wow.... why this? What kind of place did Carter have to go to in his mind to think that this was a good idea? I lost serious respect for him as a writer and as a human being after watching this (And yes, I did defend him the other day, leading me to kind of regret doing so though I stand by my comments). I'm shocked Gillian Anderson said yes. Everything I've read has said that she did not sign on to do S11 when she agreed to do S10, this was a separate negotiation to which she could have said no. So if she wasn't contractually obligated to do this season, why agree to this? And don't give me the "Oh, it was a science experiment that impregnated her! Yeah, did she consent to being impregnated? Maybe Carter was trying to be shocking, but this was too much. My theory is that it's all a trick. CSM is lying, he must be. There is no way things are as they seem. X-Files was always a master of the fake out, so I hope they do that here.

Man, I haven't even gotten to the plot! Really, I didn't hate it too much otherwise, though I'm kind of amazed Carter pulled the "It was all a dream!" card. I realize it wasn't really a dream, and that this episode admittedly played that kind of reveal better than others do, but it's still clear that Carter realizes all too late that he wrote himself into a corner. Also, we're getting to get a full season of Mulder, Scully and Skinner hating each other! Yay! Though really, I'll wait and see. As much as I want to see the three of them as partners, I'm fine with that kind of a twist if it serves the story well. Once again, I think there's a twist coming, and that Skinner is going to turn out a hero. Really, there's potential here. The alien virus could turn into something interesting, and I really hope they play their cards right. It's really too bad that this episode featured all of the horrifying content, because it otherwise wasn't too bad. I actually like the new members of the syndicate, and I like the idea of the syndicate becoming an ongoing concern again. Though is this a separate syndicate from the ones who were killed by the alien rebels? Though following continuity is impossible at this point. You know that flashback scene at the end that featured footage from an older episode? Well guess what? Carter changed the dialogue that was present in those scenes and got Anderson and Davis to overdub them! By the way, what was with Mulder's narration? The dialogue was horrendously overwritten, and Duchovny sounded miserable recording them.

Oh, and Miller and Einstein are back. Yippee.

Look, there's good news. I know I've spoken about the critical reviews at length, but this season is currently sitting at 86% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'll also say that we're in good shape in terms of making CSM a viable enemy again. Man oh man, do I want Mulder and Scully to get him now. That missile he to the face he got in the "The Truth" was far too kind. The critics already warned us about this episode, but the consensus is that the next few episodes are much better. Thank goodness, because there's nowhere to go but up. Shame on you, Chris Carter.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,998 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Count me another angered viewer. The reveal with CSM and the retcon of season 10 as a vision. Ugh. You two really hit everything that was going through my brain and still is as I type this. I really hope this thing about CSM is another lie and manipulation. Omg. Omg. You can't pull the rug and anger the audience with rape in the season premiere. I didn't give a damn about the Syndicate or the superbabies anymore coming into this season so another evil government experiment on a woman didn't do any favors. I admit, 'will Skinner redeem himself' has me intrigued. But I'm concerned Carter will write the show into another corner.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,261 4
Framingham, MA
I lost serious respect for him as a writer and as a human being after watching this (And yes, I did defend him the other day, leading me to kind of regret doing so though I stand by my comments).
That was with me! :D I love being right. But I was actually less surprised by how much this episode sucked than other people were. I think Chris Carter is a hack and always has been.
I'm shocked Gillian Anderson said yes. Everything I've read has said that she did not sign on to do S11 when she agreed to do S10, this was a separate negotiation to which she could have said no. So if she wasn't contractually obligated to do this season, why agree to this? And don't give me the "Oh, it was a science experiment that impregnated her! Yeah, did she consent to being impregnated? Maybe Carter was trying to be shocking, but this was too much. My theory is that it's all a trick. CSM is lying, he must be. There is no way things are as they seem. X-Files was always a master of the fake out, so I hope they do that here.
This isn't on Anderson. The scripts to this show have always been top secret, and the actors always get them just before performing them. I'm sure she had no idea this was coming when she signed her contract. But this is probably the precise reason she is leaving. Take the hint, Chris Carter.
Shame on you, Chris Carter.
In order for someone to be shamed, they must possess shame in the first place.

But I'm concerned Carter will write the show into another corner.
Carter thinks it's totally okay to write himself into a corner and then just retcon everything and act as if the audience should simply be okay with it. Let's just say I was one of those X-Files fans last season who was angered by there being no colonization after all and the first 9 seasons being a lie and bogus. I would be angrier at this episode if this hadn't been Carter's entire MO to begin with.

UPDATE:

I'll tell you why the fake moon landing thing is so ill-advised. If aliens landed in Roswell, America would have space technology at their disposal. That would make the moon landing MORE likely, not less. The proper conspiracy for the show to explore is to say the moon landing was orchestrated using stolen alien technology.

Last edited:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
644 2
Canada
That was with me! :D I love being right. But I was actually less surprised by how much this episode sucked than other people were. I think Chris Carter is a hack and always has been.
This isn't on Anderson. The scripts to this show have always been top secret, and the actors always get them just before performing them. I'm sure she had no idea this was coming when she signed her contract. But this is probably the precise reason she is leaving. Take the hint, Chris Carter.
In order for someone to be shamed, they must possess shame in the first place.

Carter thinks it's totally okay to write himself into a corner and then just retcon everything and act as if the audience should simply be okay with it. Let's just say I was one of those X-Files fans last season who was angered by there being no colonization after all and the first 9 seasons being a lie and bogus. I would be angrier at this episode if this hadn't been Carter's entire MO to begin with.

UPDATE:

I stand by my defence. If Carter was a bad creator, then he would not be capable of creating a good show, and The X-Files would have sucked from the beginning. And no, I've seen more than one interview with him where he revealed that the plot of this episode was the plan the entire time, and that the actors knew about it in advance. So my point still stands: Anderson knew what she was getting into and still said yes, so there must be stuff we don't know that's coming. Though it's all a moot point. The ratings were awful, which I found surprising. This thing trended all night on social media, and I expected viewership to be better than it was. Considering the content of the episode, I'd be shocked if things improved. I predict that we're in for a sharp drop next week. Also, Fox and Carter have confirmed they will NOT continue the show with Anderson, pouring cold water on the Miller and Einstein spinoff theory. So I'll give him credit for that, though we have to understand that this appears to be the end of The X-Files. It's interesting, it appears that it's 2001 all over again. Duchovny appears to want to continue, and Anderson doesn't. It's kind of funny how history repeats itself.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,261 4
Framingham, MA
I stand by my defence. If Carter was a bad creator, then he would not be capable of creating a good show, and The X-Files would have sucked from the beginning. And no, I've seen more than one interview with him where he revealed that the plot of this episode was the plan the entire time, and that the actors knew about it in advance. So my point still stands: Anderson knew what she was getting into and still said yes, so there must be stuff we don't know that's coming. Though it's all a moot point. The ratings were awful, which I found surprising. This thing trended all night on social media, and I expected viewership to be better than it was. Considering the content of the episode, I'd be shocked if things improved. I predict that we're in for a sharp drop next week. Also, Fox and Carter have confirmed they will NOT continue the show with Anderson, pouring cold water on the Miller and Einstein spinoff theory. So I'll give him credit for that, though we have to understand that this appears to be the end of The X-Files. It's interesting, it appears that it's 2001 all over again. Duchovny appears to want to continue, and Anderson doesn't. It's kind of funny how history repeats itself.
If Carter is truly willing to end the show after this season, and give us a definitive ending, I will eat crow. Fully. But earlier reports were not making me hopeful. I'm glad he seems to have changed his mind.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Ratings
2,262 92
Cartoon Headquarters
I'll wait till the last episode to judge the season as a whole. But in general, especially with the new seasons that try hard to be contemporary, the show has become more of a tool than a show on its own. It was always more than just a show and that fourth wall was always there, despite being rather in the entertainment space initially, but with S10 and S11 they most definitely broke it. We'll see what it'll mean for the series moving forward. I see a parallel with the Simpsons in this regard, slowly altering a show's nature as well as keeping alive something that doesn't entirely work anymore, but that would be a different discussion. Loved the original seasons before Mulder left at which point it just started getting, similarly to other long running shows that didn't plan on going that long, awkward. Tenth gave me mixed feelings and do does S11's intro. But maybe, just maybe, at the end of the day during the finale everything will suddenly make sense.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,261 4
Framingham, MA
The X-Files "This"

Suffice it to say, "This" was better than last week.

This show does NOT like the Trump Administration. The shadowy government agencies were never so lethal and evil during the Clinton and Bush eras (at least according to this show). The show is playing as if there is a hostile foreign power in charge of our government. I happen to agree, but I wonder how many fans who loved the show when it made the Clinton Administration look bad will tolerate the show saying our current government problems are ten times worse than when Bubba was running things.

I love that Langly was the one guy who figured out fake Heaven was fake. And it makes sense since he's the conspiracy guy. My one regret is that he didn't think to take the rest of the Lone Gunmen with him.

Mulder and Scully pointing out their weird birthdates was great. I'm betting the birthdays corresponding to Presidents who died was something Chris Carter did as an Easter Egg back in the day, and they could finally do something with it.

This must be the last season. Because we actually learned Deep Throat's name (Ronald Pakula). Between learning that and Carl Gerhardt Bush, the show is really answering the biggest questions this year.

Loved hearing Gillian Anderson referencing Hannibal Lecter for obvious reasons. I loved Mulder doing the noise and also making a puking motion when that guy flirted with Scully.

The shoot-out at the beginning was awesome. This episode (and the show) have been a lot more fun and action packed since it returned last year. I'll at least give it that.

I'm glad Mulder and Scully are a couple again. That didn't take very long.

Maybe the season will be okay for the episodes that aren't written by Carter himself. ****1/2.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,998 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Definitely a big improvement over the premiere. Lone Gunmen, mention of William Mulder, Deep Throat, Skinner, Russia, Snowden, Long Lines, Mueller, Spank Bank -- a lot of fun intersecting points. I hope this Erika Price and Mr. Y aren't another Syndicate. Yet, I wonder if Price was alluding to the rebel faction of aliens that torched the Syndicate back in the day since her wording about the planet being in danger. But it worried me a little that Mulder saw some appeal in the Simulation when Price spoke to him.

Nice bit of cynicism with Commander Al mentioning the body cams. Government tool meant to uphold objectivity bent to fit field reports of the corrupt. I instantly laughed (then got sad) about the Trump crack and this Purlieu Services. Loved the bit with Mulder's encyclopedic brain coming in handy at Arlington. Interesting contrast when Mulder says the X-Files were his and Skinner retorts they were meant for everyone -- unless my memory fails me, Mulder wanted everyone to know the truth someday.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,261 4
Framingham, MA
mention of William Mulder,
Price might have been referring to Cancer Man when talking about Mulder's father.
I hope this Erika Price and Mr. Y aren't another Syndicate. Yet, I wonder if Price was alluding to the rebel faction of aliens that torched the Syndicate back in the day since her wording about the planet being in danger. But it worried me a little that Mulder saw some appeal in the Simulation when Price spoke to him.
I think Mulder was just b.s.ing Price to allow Scully enough time to do what she had to do.
I instantly laughed (then got sad) about the Trump crack and this Purlieu Services.
I don't know what to think of the Trump stuff. It's good the show hates Trump as much as I do, but it's also not a show where I want to be depressed by real-world events as I'm watching it. I have totally mixed feelings.
Interesting contrast when Mulder says the X-Files were his and Skinner retorts they were meant for everyone -- unless my memory fails me, Mulder wanted everyone to know the truth someday.
Mulder DID want everyone to know. That was just Skinner reminding him of his priorities.

I'm glad Mulder and Scully are a couple again. That didn't take very long.

Last edited: