The Wonderful World of YouTube Part VI

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

It didn't take long for me to declare that an improvement over Homestar's Halloween special last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

so there was an episode of the show True Jackson VP which guest starred Stefan Karl (Robbie Rotten's actor) and also featured the characters from Yo Gabba Gabba. I have yet to watch the full episode (a two-parter) and figure out the proper context for this:

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. AllenJ

AllenJ Member

This guy is currently my favorite political satirist. I strongly recommend checking out his other videos. (And yes, that's his real name.)

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

"The What NOW Caper"....believe it or not, an epic detective mystery movie starring nobody except the 1980s staff of NOW Comics.

I'm not sure if it was meant as a tie-in or what, but the opening scene where Ralph Snart overhears the board and quits his comic actually happened in a Ralph Snart comic. It was the very one I got in trouble for owning.

I found another NOW comic -- a Real Ghostbusters issue -- at random during Portland Retro Gaming Expo, and it had this subscription ad on the back I remember. My mom made me rip the cover off my Slimer comic because this was there. She thought she'd banished Ralph from the house, but now he was BACK....

[​IMG]

6. twilicorn

all of hollywood history has been leading to this moment

7. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

Meanwhile, Wink Martindale and his team have uncovered an unsold pilot from the wacky world of Jay Wolpert- prepare yourself for Pandemonium!

8. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Nicktoons Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

KhalidSMSahin makes amazing edits on cartoons.

9. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

Happy Thanksgiving.

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

In retrospect, July 25th through August 29th, 1990 on Fox was one crazy month of television. The networks aired all six episodes of a show they had briefly produced called "Molloy." I had assumed Jennifer Aniston's first TV role was on "Ferris Bueller," but it was actually here because it aired a month prior. Molloy herself was played by Mayim Bialik, making this some kind of alternate universe pre-Blossom. The show was made in 1989 and by the time Fox aired it, Bialik had already been signed by NBC and couldn't make any more episodes even if they wanted any.

And every night "Molloy" aired, Fox paired it with one of their unsold pilots. One of these was "Hollywood Dog," a bizarre-looking cheap attempt to ride the Roger Rabbit wave!

This is all worth an article eventually, if I ever get around to it.

11. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Actually, "Molloy" was cancelled after four weeks, leaving the rest (including the pilot) unaired. Jennifer Aniston did not appear in the pilot, so it's possible that the show was retooled after that. Also, Mayim Bialik has said that she hates this show. Beats me why.

"Hollywood Dog" was funny, so it could've made for an interesting show.

12. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Does she like Blossom Russo? Because there's barely any difference between that character and this one, despite the setting being completely different. Both are basically sass-holes, so....where is the problem?

"Molloy" had to already be cancelled; it just doesn't seem likely to me that you would air a series in the middle of the summer, next to pilots, if you had plans to order any more of it.

13. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Yes, which is why I can't figure this out.

Sorry, I meant in the context of taking it off the air.

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Okay, half the time this is on Youtube and half the time it isn't. It's there now, so be sure to watch. A little bit of Disney animation lost to time.

15. twilicorn

I realized that the Prince and the Pauper short was actually 25 minutes long - meaning the current kerfluffle with Olaf's Frozen Adventure (which was about the same length as the Mickey short) coming before Coco was just history repeating itself. I don't think anyone complained when the Mickey short ran for longer than people would like.

16. Dsneybuf

Well, the movie it accompanied didn't do so hot at the box office, so how could people complain about something they didn't experience themselves?
    Tellingly, Disney still hasn't started selling these features together on DVD or Blu-Ray.

17. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

He hit the nail right on the head with this one. When I saw Coco I got two trailers in a row that used "Feel It Still." Same friggin' songs are in everything.

18. Dsneybuf

Speaking as an Imagine Dragons fan, "Thunder" sounds like one of the worst songs from the band's latest album, Evolve (which I overall find the second-best of their first three albums). I even prefer most of the songs I don't hear on the radio as often, such as "Whatever It Takes", "Walking the Wire", and "Mouth of the River". The popularity of "Thunder" also surprises me because it comes near the end of Evolve; the songs that came near the end of Imagine Dragons' first two albums remained mostly obscure.

19. twilicorn

I saw a movie about six years ago and before it, two of the trailers in a row used Katy Perry's "Firework" (they were "Prom" and "Soul Surfer" in that order, that I do recall). And the same song was on the radio when we were driving home. Life is weird that way.
    (By the way, I saw Coco last week and oddly enough, none of the trailers attached to the one I saw used "Feel It Still". But that could be because we have slightly different trailers in Canada.)

20. poparena

poparena Member

Whoops, almost forgot to share these. A few new episodes of Nick Knacks, first on Nickelodeon's 1989 Thanksgiving special that eventually led to the creation of Nicktoons:

And then, going all the way back to 1979 with "America Goes Bananaz," Nickelodeon's first variety show.