The Weekend Box-Office Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Clown Prince, Feb 3, 2013.

1. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

Suicide Squad has terrible reviews, so I think the numbers will be around $110-$130 million range. We have to remember that this is a little known property, and that Guardians made $94 million back in 2014. This company also made a movie that had an amazing opening earlier this year.
    And Twenty One Pilots.
    TWENTY ONE PILOTS.
    As for Nine Lives, I've barely seen anything get worse reviews than this. I'd say it's going to be somewhere between $5-$25 million. This genre is dead, so this movie will be an absolute box office DISASTER. This is more of a "movie that everyone will forget soon", right next to ParaNorman and The Revenant.

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

To be fair Paranorman was way better than Nine Lives.

3. SparkleMan

August 5-7 Box Office Top Ten:
    1. Suicide Squad $135,105,000
    2. Jason Bourne $22,710,000 (-61.6%)
    3. Bad Moms $14,204,000 (-40.4%)
    4. The Secret Life of Pets $11,560,000 (-38.9%)
    5. Star Trek Beyond $10,200,000 (-58.8%)
    6. Nine Lives $6,500,000
    7. Lights Out $6,005,000 (-44.4%)
    8. Nerve $4,900,000 (-48.1%)
    9. Ghostbusters $4,800,000 (-52.6%)
    10. Ice Age Collision Course $4,300,000 (-60.9%)
    2 other movies, the Multiple Maniacs 2016 re-issue and Five Nights In Maine opened at 33 and 34.

4. SparkleMan

Nine Lives did HORRIBLE.

5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

To be fair I don't think anyone expected Nine Lives even the studio behind it to do well. Thus why they opened it against Suicide Squad. It could of easily been snuck in later August with less stiff competition or even early September against pretty much nothing else noteworthy but no they wanted it to open against Suicide Squad to pretty much just get out and be done with.

Honestly Suicide Squad is the one who should be wary. Yeah turns out it's overall number was 133 million (the 135 was a generous estimate) so yeah it did better then Guardians of the Galaxy but... with such terrible reviews and how Batman v Superman played out, I'd be surprised if this movie wound up getting up to 300 million. Heck I'm pretty sure though it's technically higher then Deadpool's weekend box office (and remember Deadpool was an R rated move that sort of limited some members of the audience since a good chunk of Suicide Squad's gross came from kids under 18) Deadpool also had 150 million when you factor in it's Monday release while Suicide Squad will probably have 140 something million at the end of today and be a continious falling climb. Again BvS until the Jungle Book had pretty much NO COMPETTITION in it's run and still had major falls while honestly Suicide Squad actually has a bet heartier compettion.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Guess what, Suicide Squad is #1 again. Should've been Kubo but that's #4. And nobody tell me "well of course it underperformed, it wasn't promoted enough." I've been seeing ads for it constantly these last two months.

Maybe Laika needs to start making CGI movies about rapping anthropomorphic toilets or something.

The real flop, actually, is Ben-Hur -- they're still trying to decide if it came in at #5 or #6. Nobody wanted a Ben-Hur remake at all, including me and probably you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SparkleMan

It's a remake of a remake of a remake. What would you expect?

8. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

That's great news for DC fans. Now they won't be in a panic anymore.

9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I admit I had some issues with Kubo and the Two Strings (mostly in the third act) and it's not as good as Paranorman... yeah it deserved a lot higher placing then it got and it is pretty sad the only major non CGI release this year (stuff like Little Prince are more limited release and Killing Joke was an event as that was meant to be a direct to DVD animated flick) got such low numbers. To be fair though Kubo was advertised quite a lot, it's kind of a harder sell for an American audience. Even stuff like Coraline and Paranorman are at least contemporary stories and Boxtrolls you could argue had the box trolls that kids might think of as cute. What did Kubo have to advertise itself?A kid with paper powers, a sassy talking monkey, and a goofy beetle warrior... which sorry aren't enough to really sell in this current demographic. I do hope though Laika continues making stop motion movies as really they seem and Aardman are the only major studios left to do that and one can hope this movie does a lot better overseas but yeah this is a pretty disappointing weekend.

Ben Hur especially flopped since it cost 100 million to make. War Dogs and Kubo might be able to eventually make their money back but Ben Hur even around the world isn't going to do that and honestly this was a movie when I first saw ads and bits for it knew was going to be a bomb because it just seemed like such a bad idea for a movie nowadays to do... and yeah it's lack of success obviously proved that point right.

I will admit sans Deadpool no other super hero movie this year was able to three peat so SS has that going for it but that doesn't mean it's a success. That just means the compettition is just incredibly weak. Suicide Squad still fell over 50% this weekend and though it fell slightly less then BvS...BvS lost it's third weekend to the Boss which got near 24 million it's opening weekend, which would of easily crushed what Suicide Squad did this weekend as well. It's just that all of the following compettition turned out to be even weaker then expected then Suicide Squad being that powerful a factor. Though since pretty much nothing is coming out next week (unless like millions of more people are looking to don't Breathe then I think they are) SS could even four peat but again I'm still not sure it's final gross will even match up to Guardians as again BvS couldn't pull that off and SS hasn't yet climbed higher then what BvS did in two weeks.

10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

Sword and sandals only works if you have crazy gimmick and/or cgi monsters.

11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Noone is saying Kubo wasn't promoted enough. What did happen was it got some of the absolute worst ads I've seen since Bushwacked.

12. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Last weekend's new releases (Light Between the Oceans and Morgan) tanked hard. The latter didn't even crack the top 12!

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Did Morgan ever bomb, and unlike Light Between Oceans, I saw it promoted fairly frequently.

Happily, Kubo stayed afloat and earned a little more than it did last week; it's got legs and knows how to use them. It still has a way to go to earn back its budget, however.

14. SparkleMan

The 6-second ads surely didn't help.

15. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Blair Witch may not have cost much to make, $5 million, according to The Hollywood Reporter, but an opening less than $10 million (estimated $9.7 million) is definitely not what Lionsgate had hoped for when they put the Blair Witch name on the movie. Also notable is Blair Witch received a D+ Cinemascore, and consider that last year's Fantastic Four had a C- Cinemascore. Sully remains #1 with an estimated $22 million.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Accountant was #1 this weekend with an estimated $24.7 million, according to Deadline, but I think more of you may be interested in knowing about another wide release this weekend. Just like last October, there will be a new entry in the Box Office Mojo worst opening weekend list for a movie at 2,000+ theaters, as Max Steel is only estimated to make $2.1 million this weekend. Max Steel is based off a Mattel toy line and had two animated series before this movie. It is not as bad as the Jem and the Holograms opening weekend last year, but you can see there was not much demand at all for a Max Steel movie.

17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It doesn't help that it was basically delayed for two years. They;re only releasing Max Steel now to cash in on the Power Rangers film next year.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jean74

Jean74 December to Remember!

Max Steel is flopping big time at the box office!

19. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Indeed and it is one of the several films to have 0% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1