"The Walking Dead" Season Eight Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Space Cadet, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

A new season of AMC's highest rated show airs tonight at 9 PM Eastern. Here's the synopsis:

Episode 8.01: "Mercy"

2. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

I believe this was a great season premier to start with - possibly the 2nd best premier I've seen after the S5 premier. Almost every character active in the show appeared (didn't see the junkyard dogs), Judith aged a lil bit. Hoping for even if just "one" instance this current season we have some dialogue from her - excluding the dream sequences. We still are uncertain to the whereabouts of namely Sherry and Heath.

Caught onto some of the homages from past episodes but not all of them. Totally missed Carol and the flower bits. The only two really that I did catch onto was Rick telling Negan if he's going to make him count. A homage of the premier last season of course but still a funny lil one. The only other easily noticed was the herd surrounding where Negan and Gabriel are trapped with the aerial pan-out. I caught onto others as mentioned in Talking Dead.

I'll be curious as to Gregory's future on the show. Pushed down the stairs by Simon, then gets away in the vehicle Gabriel had. Figure he's lost his chance to get back into Hilltop so what does he do from there? Would The Sanctuary actually let him back in? Shoot, he could try and keep his way there to be reunited with that painting Simon took back a while ago. Maggie is definitely Hilltop's choice. I enjoyed the declaration of such and Gregory's reaction toward that - as if he had a say in the matter.

Curious about the guy Carl left food and a sorry note for whether he's a savior or somebody else. Was fun watching Carl trying to detect the whereabouts of him chatting. Thought he might ambush Carl but Rick stepped in in good time. Hope he enjoys his food.

I liked the whole planning of venturing over to The Sanctuary, but more to the point, the plan involving Morgan, Daryl, Carol and Tara elsewhere. Fun to watch Daryl on his bike setting off the explosives - especially the one referred to on TD as "Dix-plosion".

I think my favorite part of the episode though was the gathering of people from Alexandria, Hilltop and Kingdom as Rick, Maggie and Ezekiel taking center stage with their addressing for the upcoming war. It felt very good whatever dangers end up being. I wont take away from Negan and his people outside when they all arrived, but just the speeches given made me feel more optimistic for this season than the last.

3. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

A new episode airs tonight at 9 PM Eastern. Here's the synopsis:

Episode 8.02: "The Damned"

4. Dan's Revenge

Another great episode leading off with a lot of action, and hardly any let-ups throughout the episode, very-very action packed!

Not too much I took out of this episode except I wonder if Eric will survive and if Morgan is the FTWD version of Daniel, and then a couple Rick moments...

1] Gracie. I paused my eating during this cause I wasn't sure if the writers had the gull for Rick to take away the life of an infant. I didn't believe that'd be the case, so happy Rick had some sense to ignore her - only problem, she's now indefinitely ignored as it appears. Say goodnight, Gracie. I'd like the chance Gracie appears in the show again though unless we perhaps bear witness what a walker baby looks like.

2] Morales... wow. Never expected to see him. I made a pure assumption he and his family would simply remain as an unknown status. After the treats from episode 100 last week, #101 gives us another. Too bad though he ends up being a savior. Hopefully we hear about life from Atlanta to now as like me, many will be curious to know the backstory.

To add on... never saw Negan or Gabriel in this episode. Would have liked to know how they were coping since being trapped. Obviously others didn't appear but at least let us see Negan taunt Gabriel. :p

5. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 8.03: "Monsters"

6. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

The way some of the people are being very ruthless, it's getting hard to root for Rick's side. Shame how the baby's father was killed for protecting his daughter. And Rick gave his word to spare that guy and Darryl kills him anyway, despite giving Rick what he needed.

7. Dan's Revenge

Anti-climatic death for Morales I thought. Not exactly sure what other kind of death he could have had, but was expecting him to go much later. At least we got [obvious] confirmation of his family's deaths, though I'd of been interested in a little more detail.

Comic relief with Gregory returning to Hilltop. I suppose I can accept Maggie letting him back in as I'll be intrigued to see how others side from those we saw by the gate confront him if at all. Way to take action Maggie! Good stuff.

The Paul/Morgan fight... hmm... Morgan may be losing it a bit, though he used to be like that but now it's no mercy.

I'm with ShadowBeast a little bit into how violent Rick's side is - unfortunately though it's a full-on "kill or be killed" scenario and no chances against the saviors will be taken. Too bad about Todd though being killed, seemed like a pleasant fellow despite shooting at/toward Rick for attention.

Well done Kingdomers in not losing one of your ranks!................... until eeeyah. I do enjoy Ezekiel's character a lot though but next week's episode seems sort of bleak for them.

We now know Eric's fate, and it to me was a decent send-off being too far to see, which learned later why on Talking Dead. Another bromance is dead, and the only one I can think of remaining is the one Negan/Gabriel currently have. I call it that because it's now been two consecutive episodes they didn't appear in. Suspiiiiciiioooouusssss...

As heard on TD, it makes very much sense Aaron take Gracie with him to Hilltop. Keeps him sane and has a purpose of keeping her safe. It is rough though her father was killed protecting her, and to think Rick hesitated to kill her off... Hope she can be well taken care of. Perhaps by Enid when not on watch? If anything it'd be good for when the Rhea baby is born, as those two could potentially grow up together.

Wonder how Coral's been as we haven't seen him in a bit either. Enid's keeping rather busy with look-out, so perhaps Carl might be trying to find a new eye?

Still many unknown whereabouts I wont get into but hope something's known of some in the next few weeks - at least by mid-season.

8. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 8.04: "Some Guy"

9. ShadowBeast

I knew about Shiva being killed off, from the comics. But it was still heartbreaking to see. I was expecting a far larger amount of zombies though, since a tiger would be far too strong to be held down with the amount that took her down.
    I'm getting a little annoyed with the "Ninja-assassin Carol" thing. It feels a bit too unrealistic, which aside from zombies, the creator tries to be realistic with the series. Another thing that was unrealistic was that, only the major characters from Ezekiel's group survived in the end. They could've had a couple of no-bodies survive as well.

10. Dan's Revenge

"We shall not lose one of our ranks!" Well, ya gone lost... I duno.

Didn't like seeing the death of Shiva later on. Felt she could have lasted a bit longer. The only positive... is no more CGI production costs :p

Enjoyed the brief moments with Rick and Daryl taking out those couple saviors.

Carol did well in being surrounded before coming to the aid of Ezekiel and Jerry - and had a decent laugh at Jerry's reaction to the broken axe. That axe had one good final blow taking out the geek-looking savior - whom I thought had a split personality.

Still no Negan/Gabriel... the bromance must have gotten too real for TV.

Ezekiel not talking to his citizens upon return is an obvious message to the other Kingdomers. Curious when we'll see those people's reactions and what progresses with the king.

All I can recall by memory from last week and a late reply :p

11. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 8.05: "The Big Scary U"

12. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 8.06: "The King, the Widow and Rick"

13. Dan's Revenge

The Big Scary U
    So we finally got a glimpse of what went on between Negan and Gabriel, and it was indeed a bromance - one of which they weren't too far from each other and talked. It got great later on as Negan confessed to Gabriel a bit of back history, and then their escape back into the sanctuary was a good watch.

Rick and Daryl in action... and fighting each other like schoolkids. Can't say I liked it but in an all out war there'll be differences. Too bad about the weapons, though.

Fun to see how the higher up saviors (and Eugene) in meeting together but mostly after the kind-of flashback from earlier upon Gregory's arrival. Eugene careful to cover evidence of his finding which at one point thought it was a blood blister... yeah. If there's any group I like seeing tear each other apart, it's them saviors. Especially when all the workers made their way up despite not being allowed to, then Simon and others having to try and clear a mess up. Almost felt bad for Simon too when Negan wanted to talk with him. Gabriel is left there to do whatever, but at least he'll be near to Eugene.

The King, the Widow and Rick
    Dumb move Rick going to the junkyard dogs. You got stripped naked and locked a container of some sort. Nice reference in the "A" on that container, but also - and can't remember if it was discussed in Talking - if it being written above a peek hole had a separate meaning which was still funny.

Carl meets up with the new guy Siddiq. I like him so far, but also enjoyed Carl's reaction after he asked him the first question and straight forward "237" is the answer -- +/-. Just hope he's not really a savior in disguise though and leading Carl on.

Carol and Henry... but more to the point Carol and another kid. As far as kids go (around Carol) he seems most stable. Lizzy would be 2nd only to her mindset, but at least still trained to use weapons. Fun note heard of him being the actual younger brother of the girl who played Sophia - that makes this pairing more fun imo. Hope he doesn't end up as a walker in a barn though. Don't see much long-term focus on kids aside from Carl - and seldom Judith - so hope Henry lasts as long as he can. Speaking of Judith... who's watching her?

Hope we see Ezekiel come to very soon including Jerry proudly standing near him again. I at least want to see him apologize (because he'd feel he needs to) to his community to see how many can forgive him. In that regard I hope all only due to those who chose to fight. They knew their consequences. Still though, Ezekiel did state not one of their ranks shall fall, so as a leader should know the aftermath consequence of his words.

I liked Gregory being included as a prisoner of sorts with the saviors. Things could turnip interesting. Verbal indifference between Maggie and Paul but fortunately straightened out. Good luck to Aaron and Enid on their little journey.

The scenes with Michonne and Rosita were fun to watch from discovering a couple saviors trying to help their own. Add another savior to the list blown up by a rocket, and what a direct hit from Rosita that was! A little cliche the way the female savior went but whatever helps the trio communities! If it were me though I might attempt to lead those walkers to the junkyard dogs. Obviously nobody knew Rick was going so it's on Rick if he gets caught up in that. No, the walkers wouldn't be able to enter but could surround the place for a good period of time. Shoot, those junkyard dogs have almost everything they could need in that place. Lots of good hiding spots to boot.

And now about something spoken on Talking Dead last night about TWD and FTWD cross-over...
    We now know Morgan will appear on Fear and as of this morning (Nov 27) he began filming. Doesn't sound much like a crossover as when he appeared last night he stated having goodbyes with the cast of TWD. I can't grasp whether or not it was for show to keep the viewer guessing or if he's really going to be a regular on Fear. One thing I told myself - the second actually - is "Wow, he's going on a less-viewed show! GL!. The other thing I asked myself ... "so... how will he exit TWD?

Two episodes left in 2017. Yikes. Hope the mid-season finale will be satisfactory even if it's a 2-month break. I also hope the latter half begins February 11th. Why? Because the finale would fall on April 1st - April Fools' Day!

14. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 8.07: "Time for After"

15. Dan's Revenge

Going back to last week's episode, I'd forgotten Gabriel was put in a cell, then seeing him there from the recap of this week's it dawned on me.

Well, I'm confused a little about Eugene's loyalty. I feel he's doing exactly what he can to be back with Rick's group, but also wants to stay protected as a savior even if it means Dwight doesn't like his idea of getting the walkers away from the sanctuary. (c'mon Dwight!) It was a cool glider plane set up and glad we saw Eugene navigate it even if a little bit.

A good moment for kicks was Negan wanting to shake Eugene's hand and he trying to kiss his hand. Kind of wondering whether or not Negan might be playing him for a fool. I don't believe so, but there's still possibly more of Negan we haven't seen.

So Daryl's plan goes into motion with now just Michonne and Tara with him and then Morgan elsewhere radioing in. Dark crushes through walkers and then into the sanctuary so the walkers may have a belated Thanksgiving feast. Among the few saviors to be chewed off the show, I was thinking Tanya would be done with after giving Eugene those couple bottles of wine, then having him see her being torn apart by walkers. Didn't happen though, and as far as we all know, Negan's wives are safe. Hope Rosita makes it back. She could be followed by numerous saviors.

Wish we'd of gotten a glimpse of Simon in this episode and possibly him being told by Negan he's now his #3 - which is still a comfortable spot. I hope next week we do see him. I don't like him as a character, but for me he makes his scenes very fun to watch.

As soon as Rick overcame the walker brought out by the dogs, and showed up the few and pinned down Jadis with his hands still tied, I feel Jadis and those dogs will listen and possibly respect Rick. I believe Jadis realized who she was dealing with and will go along with his plan. Whether or not she turns against will be a potential question.

That brings us to the preview for the mid-season finale when they end with saying the moment (of how the show ends) everyone will be talking about. Usually I don't buy into hype like that, but this time I'll bite. They wont want to regret those words if it's actually nothing and alienate fans (again). I think whatever goes on possibly good or bad, it'll be worth the talking after. The bigger question is if it'll leave the next two months with a sour taste that the show could have more claiming to stop watching (but really stick to it) or that for a mid-season, the latter half can't come sooner. My only theory is Judith kills everybody between the four colonies and among them all is the only remaining survivor. That'd be a plot twist, right? That episode is potentially also Siddiq's first action of war. Would be sad if he made it to Alexandria only to be killed off so quick.

Not spoilers but doing this last part as so anyway.
    Most have heard Morgan will be going to Fear, so I seriously hope his departure isn't the "moment everyone will be talking about" because that would alienate way too many fans such as myself whom many of us have already learned that news. It's still possible though but I don't believe it. Holding it still though as potential.

Additionally, I really believe someone beloved will depart, and I can only come down to my own three personal victims. Daryl (the raged outcry if that happens...), Carol, and Judith. Don't like saying Judith's name is that, but why not? She was killed shortly after birth in the comics, and though it'd be morbid to do that on screen, there's no rule they can't do that. Maybe they wont show it on screen, but the worst case scenario is we see her either acting as a walker, or just her [pretending to be asleep] corpse and Rick/Carl's reaction. We do know by the mid-season finale preview Negan and saviors do show up at Alexandria.

--- If not any of the three I listed, then who really could it be that'd make so much hype like this? I will always doubt Rick's death in the series (unless saved for the series finale) because - and I've mentioned this before - they were going to focus on a particular character in the long run, and if they were to kill off Rick, the focus would have had to of been on someone else at the very start. Yes, we've seen other series were the initial lead has left or died off, but in TWD universe, I believe whomever the focus is on keeps them safe. I also doubt anything happens to Carl and Michonne.

I'm not antsy enough to want the mid-finale to be here already. I'll savor what's happened so far and then possibly get butterflies throughout next week's episode.

16. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

The mid-season finale airs tonight at 9 PM Eastern. It is a 90 minute episode. Here's the synopsis:

Episode 8.08: "How It's Gotta Be"

17. ShadowBeast

This was an awesome mid-season finale. It's about time the Saviors started fighting back. It was getting boring seeing the season being one-sided most of the time. I hope Gavin survives the war, he has shown sympathy towards the Kingdom even before the war. I still think Daryl was partly at fault for the Saviors's escape since he allowed the Walkers to no longer surround the building. I loved the fight between Rick and Negan, especially where Rick went out the window western-style. I was not expecting Carl to get bitten since he's still alive in the comic. I wonder how Negan is gonna take it since he liked the kid.

18. Dan's Revenge

(I took this long to reply?)

Trying to recollect what I remember...

Would have liked to have known the whereabouts of the scavengers after the shootout at the sanctuary. Only saw them at the start with Rick and that was it. Rick eventually made it back to Alexandria.

Enid and Aaron set out for Oceanside and we barely get a glimpse of them as trigger-happy Enid takes out Natania, though she was about to kill Aaron anyway. Enid could've had least made her put down the spear. We see little of more of Oceanside including the distraught Cyndie before we don't see what happens next.

The fight between Rick and Negan was a good one. I as well enjoyed Rick out the window. Guess the match is a draw until they meet each other again.

Jumping to the big part, I realized well enough in advance it was a Carl-centered episode, but I really didn't expect he'd of been bitten. Really sucks :(. I really thought something was going to happen to Judith and that would have played out how AMC put it "the moment everyone will be talking about". Still alive going into the next episode, but wow, we're losing a big one from S1.

Hope Carl goes out with a bang.