The "Screw Attack" thread (may contain adult material)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by TKnHappyNess, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Top 10 Hardest NES games. I find it humorous that many of the choices in the list were covered by AVGN as well, who also complained about their difficulty.

2. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Super C is harder than Contra? The last time I played it I got to level 3 without even losing a life, is it really that difficult?

TMNT already breaks their self imposed code. The game is hard BECAUSE of terrible design decisions and controls, not legitimate difficulty. Same with Bayou Billy, Silver Surfer, and Fester's Quest.

Battle Kid, I can see. Even if it's not my kind of difficulty. I hate 'precision or death' gameplay. Same thing with Ghosts & Goblins. Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon III NES, and Battletoads are more reasonable choices for me.

Better choices for most of those would have included Shatterhand, Vice Project Doom, Super Spy Hunter, Castlevania III, Journey To Silius, and Gimmick. Games that are hard because they just are, without being broken.

Not one of their better lists.

3. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

I've gotta agree with Desensitized about this list. A lot of their choices are games that, IMO, aren't hard by fair design, but by flawed gameplay that leads to cheap deaths. Granted that, I haven't played all of the games that they listed, but I at least know for sure from what I have played of games like Silver Surfer and the original TMNT that those games definitely aren't hard by proper design (well, you could argue that TMNT isn't that cheap aside from its ridiculous jumps, but its still not well-designed difficulty, IMO).

I've always wondered why no Mega Man games ever make any of the top hardest NES games lists, though. I suppose I'm probably the only person who thinks that they are that hard. In all honesty, I still find the first 2 Mega Man games to be harder than the first 2 NES Ninja Gaiden games, personally (I'm sure that makes me the weird one here, of course :p ).

4. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

IMO, the first Mega Man game is the only really hard game there, and that's mainly because of the lack of passwords, e-tanks, and annoying bosses (Fireman is pretty badly designed, try fighting him without taking a hit... Can't be done), though 2 is a pretty tough game on hard difficulty. I find MM games are standard NES difficulty, all together.

TMNT did have some pretty poor collision detection, though. Bad spawn points for enemies too. I can't count how many times an enemy spawned mid jump and shoved me into the sewers in level 3. So annoying.

5. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

I don't know. Stuff like the disappearing and reappearing blocks still don't hit me as standard difficulty, personally. Maybe I just suck, though. :sweat:

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I find the ones over enemies like Iceman's level more annoying than the ones over bottomless pits. It's like Capcom is laughing at you with those. :D

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

VGV Reviews Super R-Type. No shooter should be so cruel as to force you back to the start of the level if you die. I mean, come on.

8. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

Top Ten Multiplayer Games. Local-only, or no online play if you don't know the term until now. And, console-only (PC will get a list soon/eventually)

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-screwattack/706037

LOL at the ending.
    Also, someone beat the Battletoads challenge from the last Top Ten

9. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Nice list, even though I do disagree with the notion that Melee is better than Brawl. Maybe it's because I found unlocking stuff in Brawl better, and I do like the cast of characters more than Melee, and the fact that Brawl has managed to hold my interest to the point that I decided to pick up and play the game again. Other than that, can't argue with Wii Sports getting 10, Halo getting people to LAN Party (hell, even some of my class mates got together to play the game.), and the rest.

EDIT: Also, more about the Brawl bit, Craig said Brawl added 9 characters, I counted and got more than that, like 15: Diddy Kong, Wario, Toon Link, Pit, ROB, Olimar, MetaKnight, Dedede, Wolf, PKMN Trainer, Lucario, Ike, Lucas, Snake, and Sonic. I'm not even counting Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard as separate characters, or even Zero Suit Samus,

#689 Daxdiv, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I generally don't bump this thread unless I have something worthwhile to say about the VGVs, but the latest one on "Trojan" was great. Not only did it have a relatable story about swapping games with other kids your age, but it had a fun comeuppance ending. Always like the videos where Craig does more than just narrate to the clips.

Also, the long-awaited Top 10 Multiplayer Games (online) is up!

11. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Screw Attack's Top 10 Sexiest Outfits. I'm glad Mai Shiranui got on there, but why did Craig use footage from Fatal Fury 2? Her outfit was modest in that game compared to the KOF games!

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Providing a nice contrast to Top 10 Worst Robot Masters from last year, Craig looks at his Top 10 Robot Masters. Not too bad a list (as with Craig, I LOVE Gravity Man's level, and Cut Man is indeed all kinds of awesome), though a couple I might've put on my own list:

* Bubble Man: Easily the prettiest stage in MM2.
    * Hornet Man: Just a stylish, challenging stage all around, and bee stings hurt, so how appropriate for a boss.
    * Pharaoh Man: Cool stage, cool boss.
    * Ring Man: He's tough as nails. His stage isn't too easy, either.
    * Tomahawk Man: Love the Western motif to his level.
    * Wave Man: See Bubble Man, only for MM5.

And while Sheep Man was... odd (and before you ask, yes, I get the reference) and pretty easy to defeat, his stage graphics and music more than justify his existence.

BTW, I hate Guts Man's level. Those dropping platform things at the start of the level are just evil, not helped by the simultaneously slippery and sticky controls of the first game.

14. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Hornet Man more so than any other stage in MM9 was the one where it finally clicked in my head. "Mega Man is back!" The stage is challenging, well paced, has a great mid-boss, and the boss battle is just challenging enough. Also, the music is one of the best in the series. While every other stage in the game is also great, that one was, IMO, perfect.

Even though the game gets too much hate from people who should just play the 8-bit remake, Slash Man's stage is pretty awesome with great music. I'd argue the same with Tengu Man even though I don't really like 8 as a whole, either.

Disagree with him on Blade Man, though. That was by far the most boring level and boss in the game. Also, Guts Man gets disqualified for those poorly programmed platforms that lead to cheap deaths. Easily one of the worst parts of MM1 next to the lack of hit stun.

Agree with him fully on Gravity Man, Shadow Man, Quick Man, Gravity Man, Skull Man and Metal Man, though. Cut Man's level was kind of boring to me, though. It does have great music, I'll agree.

15. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Magnet Man has one of the best themes in Mega Man history. And yeah, Cut Man is the man. Not a bad list overall but I can think of a few more Robot Masters I'd have included like

Wood Man: Love this guys stage and I love his theme.
    Splash Woman: She deserves points just for being the first female robot master. Plus, I like her design a lot.
    Snake Man: His theme song alone warrants a spot on a list like this.

16. Daxdiv

I'm not surprised at Metal Man being #1, in fact, I would be surprised if it wasn't on the list. Considering how OP it is. I'm pretty sure that I used that weapon more times than I can count. I agree with most of it.

17. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Wow, I can't believe I forgot Snake Man as a favorite. His stage is a lot of fun, his stage music kicks ass, and the overall look of the stage appropriately evokes images of snakes.

Only downside? His weapon is kinda lame.

18. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

To be honest, I would have agreed with any robot master from 3. I think they're all pretty awesome.

19. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Same, except probably Top Man. His "weapon" is, as Craig stated in the last video, probably the worst MM weapon of all time, next to Charge Man's slide.

I do like the look of Top Man's stage, though, even if it debatably has nothing to do with tops and looks more like a greenhouse.

20. Daxdiv

To be honest, when I was playing Mega Man 3, I kept questioning what the point of Top Man's power was? I've haven't beaten the game yet, but so far the impression I get from Top Man's weapon is either it's a joke, or I'm not using it right.

#700 Daxdiv, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.