The possibility of seeing X-men/FF return to Marvel Animation?

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Mar 13, 2011
Ratings
424 1
Union, NJ
For a good awhile now the Internet has been on fire with talks of Disney buying 20th Century Fox. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/dis...al-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html
Meaning the X-men/Deadpool /FF live action movie rights return to Disney. For the past couple of years it seemed like Marvel was against having Fox related properties in animation (besides the Deadpool short). We might see these characters pop up again. Anything you guys wanna see? Could be movies, shorts, TV shows on XD or any streaming services. Personally hoping for a new X-men cartoon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KombatMaster94

Dec 10, 2012
Ratings
Glendale, CA
I wanna see a dark, mature X-Men show on Disney XD which would basically be the Avengers: EMH/Spectacular Spidey of the X-Men. It should take cues from all the classic and Ultimate comics and the X-Men movies. I had that in mind to make myself, but I'd like to see that happen. On top of everything else, it has to be well written and well animated with a great art style.

Mar 13, 2011
Ratings
424 1
Union, NJ
I wanna see a dark, mature X-Men show on Disney XD which would basically be the Avengers: EMH/Spectacular Spidey of the X-Men. It should take cues from all the classic and Ultimate comics and the X-Men movies. I had that in mind to make myself, but I'd like to see that happen. On top of everything else, it has to be well written and well animated with a great art style.
Disney's new streaming service could also be the home of mature animation

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,913 45
Sherman Oaks CA
If the Disney/Fox deal goes through then I would expect the embargo on X-Men and FF in animation would probably finally end, if not immediately :).

Ideally I think it would be good to finally have an X-Men cartoon aimed at kids out again alongside all the other Marvel cartoons on Disney XD. I may not be sure that the current Marvel Animation could do the X-Men justice, but I think it's important to get them out there in a prominent way for kids to see again (same with FF) :D.

It would also mean we could get team-ups with the Torch and Wolverine in Marvel's Spider-Man, which would be pretty awesome :cool:.

I'm not sure what this might mean for the Donald Glover Deadpool cartoon on FX though.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,136 4
177A Bleecker Street
It's felt way too long since I've seen animated X-Men. The classic X-Men and FF teams have been my two favorite superhero teams forever, and they've been big reasons I love the Marvel Universe to this day. I never felt as though the movies fully did either team any justice, and animation was always where I thought they could shine easily, so it has sucked watching Marvel shelve the way that they have. I always look at the threads for series ideas and such and I rarely post in them because I'll most likely post about wanting to see a new X-Men or FF series, etc, and it feels like the same old song at this point. As rushed as the last episode of AEMH might feel, one thing I always loved about it was that it was the one moment in Marvel Animation that had the most characters that I loved on display, doing their things (if I'm not counting Super Hero Squad ). I looked forward to Marvel having control of all of their characters in animation for a long time because I felt it was much more likely to happen than in film, and at one time I thought it could be done a lot better in animation. When they did get all the characters in animation, they gave themselves more embargoes than DC ever did and that has never stopped being terrible. It will be a great day when all of this nonsense gets resolved.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

Greg91

Reporter
Dec 30, 2013
Ratings
1,765 5
Canada
Now that the Disney/Fox deal has gone through, I am curious to see if the X-Men or Fantastic Four will guest appear in something like Marvel's Spider-Man or just get their own show. That also brings the Deadpool show from FX into question. Would that continue without Disney or would Marvel be more involved?

I'm just glad kids will finally know about the X-Men outside of maybe the movies. It's so weird to think that kids have been growing up without the X-Men and Fantastic Four, because when I was a kid, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Hulk and Spider-Man were the big name characters. Who was Thor or Black Widow? Who were the Guardians of the Galaxy or the Inhumans? Hopefully that changes.

To be fair, most kids growing up after Wolverine and the X-Men ended almost 10 years ago will probably miss out on the X-Men as well as the Fantastic Four in their childhood. I guess they'd really discover the characters as teenagers/young adults, but hopefully the characters will mean more to them at that age.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,191 6
A Valid Location
Something I've been wondering about - even with the deal, other than the Deadpool cartoon already in production, we probably won't see anything else for a while. Unless they were working on stuff featuring the X-Men and Fantastic Four related characters in secret all this time, which I kind of doubt.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,527 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Finally, the stupid embargo will be over.

I haven’t been keeping up with comics much lately, so maybe they can do undo the whole “shrunken mutant population” bit and bring almost all the mutants back.
With X-Academy, X-Force, X-Factor, and X-anything else, we’ll get a huge assortment of characters and teams to enjoy for a long time.
Being the Pokémon fan I am, I would love a series where we see Xavier and Magneto, travel the world, and meeting new mutants.
Of course, not have it EXACTLY like Pokémon, but the formulaic structure would work well for a show.
Each episode can focus on one mutant. That can work as either a TV series, or a short form digital series.

Whatever they do, I hope the whole minority allegory gets downplayed. In a time when media wants to focus on acceptance and collaboration, we’ll see mutants integrating with society and using their powers to get jobs and junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,913 45
Sherman Oaks CA
Something I've been wondering about - even with the deal, other than the Deadpool cartoon already in production, we probably won't see anything else for a while. Unless they were working on stuff featuring the X-Men and Fantastic Four related characters in secret all this time, which I kind of doubt.
I think we're probably still a ways from new X-Men and FF cartoons, though hopefully they won't wait until Marvel Studios possibly gets around to doing their own stuff with those properties before they release cartoons for them, but we might see smaller guest appearances or mentions in the other cartoons :).

Like, I could see Peter mentioning Reed Richards or the Baxter Building in Marvel's Spider-Man, or they might finally bring back Wolverine, Thing, and Doom for guest appearances ;).

Maybe we'll finally get the long-awaited Spidey/Torch team-up :D?

Troy Troodon

Jan 16, 2014
Ratings
1,630 8
So now that Marvel technically got the rights back to Xmen and FF, hopefully that means we'll be seeing them and related characters return to animated format sooner or later.

On that note, even though the Deadpool movies will still be rated-R, can we still see family friendly appearances in the cartoons? I mean Wolverine has had his own fair share of alternating between broader audiences and mature audiences; same for Lobo, Harley Quinn and more recently John Constantine and Swamp Thing, so why not Deadpool?!

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,136 4
177A Bleecker Street
Doom was my favorite part of Avengers Assemble S1. How cool would his comeback have been now that the show is better? They've got everything planned for the next season though.

There's no idea when we'll see these characters though. There are already a lot of characters they've had that we never see in animation. Granted, these are the big guns coming back. I just hope the Marvel Entertainment higher-ups lift these embargoes and let things roll as they should. How cool would it be if they got the ball rolling on some shorts, movies or series now?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,913 45
Sherman Oaks CA
Doom was my favorite part of Avengers Assemble S1. How cool would his comeback have been now that the show is better? They've got everything planned for the next season though.

There's no idea when we'll see these characters though. There are already a lot of characters they've had that we never see in animation. Granted, these are the big guns coming back. I just hope the Marvel Entertainment higher-ups lift these embargoes and let things roll as they should. How cool would it be if they got the ball rolling on some shorts, movies or series now?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I wouldn't be surprised if the next entry in that "Marvel Rising" project includes some Mutants in the roster :).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,136 4
177A Bleecker Street
so is this deal a good thing or a bad thing for having any hopes of seeing x-men return to animation? its been a while.
It should help on that front since Marvel Entertainment shouldn't have any reason to uphold an embargo against those characters now but we will see. Currently, Marvel Animation avoids the Marvel Netflix characters due to their shows being aimed at adults and I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone with authority use the excuse before that they were avoiding the X-Men for similar reasons. If that's still the company attitude, it might take something like the greenlighting of a MCU X-Men project or a soft PG-13 X-Men movie to help get something done. The X-Men were probably Marvel's biggest brand at one point, before the movies, and I would love to see it made strong again. That would necessitate getting more kids back into it and cartoons are a big part of that.

Not to be too political but Disney having this much corporate power in our media is scary.
There's part of me that thinks this merger can be one big mess but it will be interesting.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,527 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Not to be too political but Disney having this much corporate power in our media is scary.
Is it though?
Owning a large market share on something accessible like entertainment is not nearly as bad as monopolizing necessities like foods, cars, and healthcare. So long as Disney doesn’t buy a cable / satellite company, or ISP, one shouldn’t be worried. There are at least four other major media companies out there, and numerous smaller ones, like the properties Fox keeps, and various content creators on the internet. Disney doesn’t even control a major news company that’s on the same scale as CNN or Fox News. So its not difficult to find alternatives for which you get your media. It’s as easy as changing the channel.

Besides, for as long as they had Marvel, Disney always had the rights to make cartoons to X-Men and Fantastic Four. Marvel just avoided it for borderline petty reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Dec 9, 2006
Ratings
60 1
P.A.
It is awesome that Disney now has the rights to Xmen,Fantastic Four,Deadpool,and etc to appear in Cartoons and Video Games again
Maybe we can get Disk Wars Avengers and Future Avengers Anime on DVD or Streaming Website