The PlayStation Network update thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Captain Highwind, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnigmaticWarrior

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Summer Wars with this entire debacle going on right now. :sweat:

2. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Well this sucks. I was planning to buy the 2nd Ratchet & Clank: Future game since I ordered the other 2 off Amazon. I guess it's also a good thing cause if I had bought it a week ago like I planned, my credit card could've been compromised.

3. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

My Toonzone password is my oldest one.... I hardly use it for anything anymore, so that one is safe.

Otherwise I guess I just disagree with Tycho but that's probably because I like not linking everything together so I go out of my way to avoid that kind of "everything's down" situation.

4. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

If or when the culprit gets caught. I hope they get dealt a swift and harsh judgement.

5. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

I'm still not convinced anonymous isn't involved, at least in part. It seems suspicious that they whine about attacking Sony and then backed off as soon at the outage started.

6. Keiichi

Keiichi Prof Lurker

Xbox Live has been hacked in the past and had account info stolen as well. Yet it didn't hurt MS. As much as this sucks these things happen. No Computer Network is hack proof much like no house is burglar proof. If someone wants to get in they are going too.

7. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

Boy, am I glad I don't on a Playstation. ;)

Seriously though, I hope they get this all squared away so people can play their games online again soon, I also hope that nobody gets their credit card numbers or identities stolen as a part of this hacking. Nobody seems to know when the service is going to be back up which is going to cause a lot of frustration with PS3 owners, but one thing I'm really wondering is if all this is going to hurt sales for the PS3 moving forward?

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Let's not bring console wars into this, even if you were half kidding or meant it as an innocent aside.
    True, but some are calling this the biggest data loss ever, and Sony hasn't been doing the best job with PR throughout this. I find it hard to disagree.

At any rate, I hope they catch the person who did this.

9. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Looking over this info at a lot of sites, I think a lot of the blame falls under Sony. I mean, I actually saw a sample of what the info looks like when you buy something with the card and the data for that was unencrypted. Sure I will admit that the hackers are to be blame, but that does make me question what Sony was doing during that whole breach? Playing Invizimals?

I am sorry for those that should keep an eye on it, since if this happened to Microsoft or Steam, I would be just as angry as well.

10. Matthew Williams

Matthew Williams Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt

Fair disclosure: I'm an owner of all the systems, but the one I use most is the PS3. I think of the three systems out there it's the best value for money. That said, this is a massive disaster.

While I don't blame Sony for the hack, they are certainly to blame for a lot of the problem. Namely the general security of the network, and the lousy PR job they've been doing.

First, the security. Yeah, the PS3 was jailbroken this year, but security's been a problem for the company since the PSP, which has been hackable since day one. They've been far more lax than Microsoft when it comes to these types of modifications, and it's come back to bite them in the rear. Worse, the fact that there is a firmware that allows you on the developer network is extremely troubling. I don't care how secret it is, that network needs to have the same security measures on it that the public network does. Period.

Secondly, though, they've done a lousy job with their PR. Taking down the network was absolutely the right thing to do, and I can believe that it took them until Monday to fully realize the extent of the hack - but if they suspected the problem was potentially a hack, they should have said it. Is it really that hard to just say this:

I realize they don't want to cause panic, but that statement would have been worlds better than "We are aware that some services are down". And it avoids their other major mistake, which was giving a timeline of "a day or two". "Indefinitely" should have been the timeline from the start.

I think, unfortunately, this is a problem stemming from the company's culture, and it's the same mindset that's given us $600 consoles and statements like "rumble is a last generation feature". Sony believes that they are infallible because they are Sony, and their continual missteps this generation are the direct result of that.

I'll continue to support and buy games on the PS3, but god damn - this is a mess, and a lot of it is their own fault.

11. Novapocalypse

Novapocalypse Active Member

If it weren't for the Blu-Ray player I would take my gaming business to Microsoft. Way to go, Sony.

12. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

13. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

"people will be a bit more wary about using their credit card on PSN, so obviously we're nervous about sales."

Yeah, that's pretty huge... if I'm Sony, I'm going to be trying to think of a way to regain trust... and part of that is going to be a gesture of goodwill, something bigger than just reimbursing lost time. Here would be my three-part approach:

1. Make sure everyone is reimbursed for every loss that can be calculated
    Hulu Plus, DC Universe, what have you. This part is a no-brainer, but just make sure that everyone's on the same page.

2. An offering of apology/goodwill.
    Give every Playstation account the option to download either a free copy of God of War 3, DC Universe Online, or save it for something that hasn't come out yet. Make that last one Infamous 2 if they're super-dedicated... the next Ratchet and Clank or Twisted Metal if moderately dedicated... or if they're simply not going to give away a big one, it looks like the next small one that noone has yet is White Knight Chronicles which is ready to roll in Europe in May. Whatever they do, the goodwill offering must have no strings attached if we're going to accept it as sincere... meaning don't try to combine it with the next part.

3. Make us an offer we can't refuse to use our credit card again.
    We've been buttered up with a goodwill offering, but we're still a little nervous about pulling that card out again. Pretty simple. Buy anything with your credit card, even a couple of rockband songs or that cheap angry birds game, get $30 in Playstation credit. Give us an incentive to give them their credit card number again, and once we've made that leap most of us will return to business as usual.

14. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

^Some of us don't care about God of War 3 or DC Universe. :)

But here's something though, say they take my identity since I'm a latino with a latino sounding name. They give it to some guy desperate to cross the border and work, as a false ID. Everytime that guy's employer pays into SS, it goes to ME. Happened to my aunt.

15. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

1. I think we're all in agreeance with that. Hulu has done so already. SOE announced a special event for PC subscribers to their games and "make good" plans for PS3 users of DCUO and Free Realms. All that's left are Qrocity and PlayStation Plus subscribers, and they will most likely get something even though Sony hasn't announced anything for them yet. And who knows if MLB would do something for their PS3 subs.

2. Yeah, they're not going to give away a $20 game to every single PS3 user, let alone a full-priced $60 new release; a $10 downloadable title is probably expected since that's what MS gave to XBL users when it got hacked. That is, if they even do it since PSN is by large a free service - the head of the ECA kinda doubts that Sony would offer up a free game to PSN users. There's even talks about a class-action lawsuit or three popping up soon. (Source)

3. I doubt that fully. You're not using your debit or credit card to directly buy the content; you are only buying virtual space bucks or points. The best bet is to advertise an alternative to giving Sony your debit/credit card. There's already prepaid points cards in stores, along with DLC. Heck, you can buy codes for PSN content (games and add-ons) through the web sites of Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop. Also, since Gamestop is doing this with Xbox Live content, Sony can allow the gaming monolith to sell certain PSN-3 and PSN-P downloadable games and PS3 add-ons in their store, with the codes printed on the receipt. Also, if they can figure out a way, make PayPal an option to add funds to your wallet. I don't know if it happened but since only MS can make PayPal purchases for MS Points on xbox.com, I doubt Sony is at the same level; been a while since making PS fun money purchases.

16. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

There's really nothing they can do that will satisfy everyone, it's more about the gesture. Giving away God of War 3 to everyone who doesn't already have it, and trying to provide a decent alternative to everyone who doesn't, is a pretty good one. DC Universe is one good alternative for Sony, since it will return money from the people who like it and decide to subscribe.

Simply giving away Playstation credit is a little more complicated, since many will spend it on stuff Sony doesn't own. Giving away one of your own games is losing potential money rather than spending out of pocket.

It's a little easier to spend out of pocket if you're going to see a return on that investment, and that's where the third part to spend money to persuade the customer to part with their credit card information comes into play.

17. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I hope they do give something special to Plus subscribers like me. It isn't much money, but I still didn't get to use a service I paid for.

They will not give away God of War 3. You don't even want DCU online, it's not very good and it's already in its death cycle/headed to free to play.

18. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

SONY Now Being Sued

IMO, instead of blasting other companies (notably; Nintendo). Which Tretton rudely did. Him and his company should have taken the initiative to find ways to protect PlayStation.

Considering that he's all "big talk" when it comes to live conferences.

And now, they're being sued for not informing us of the breach (users of PSN).

19. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

Uh, you do realize that while giving out a game that cost anywhere between $30 (God of War 3) and $60 (DCUO) is a good gesture, it's also stupid, crazy expensive, and unrealistic. When Xbox Live went down in 2007, did they give every paying XBL member Gears of War or Halo 3? No. They gave them a $10 XBLA game. Be lucky if you only get Angry Birds out of this fiasco since Sony might not honor anyone who isn't a PS+ sub. And, if they don't honor the PS+ subs, then that is crazy.

And, yes I do see where you are coming from with the whole "spend X amount of money, get free credit" thing since Xbox Live did it late last year. However, there are some flaws in your thinking.

-again, to re-iterate, you're not buying the content directly. You are buying fun bucks.

-$30 rebate? Unrealistic. When MS did it, it was mainly "Spend $20-$30, get $10 free!"

-even then, you can get the rebate by using prepaid cards and inputing the codes there - all the while avoiding giving Sony your Visa card. That's why it will be better to highlight alternatives to getting PSN content like from Amazon, which you can do right now.

20. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocksā„¢

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.