The Official "Wii U" Talkback (Possible Game Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by defunctzombie, Nov 18, 2012.

1. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Well that was disappointing. Outside of Starfox Zero, Fire Emblem games and Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario crossover that was really boring. At least puppet show was entertaining. And who ask for a Animal Crossing party game anyway? Seriously who?

2. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

A lot of spinoff games... but I'm not even mad. The two Animal Crossing spinoffs look fun. That 3DS Zelda looks fun. The games we already knew about, I'm still excited for. Good E3 all around.

3. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Mario Party fans who didn't like Mario Party 9 and 10?

4. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

My goodness. The decision to delay Zelda to 2016 was freakin' dire.

They're pretty much putting out the last fistful of finished AAA Wii U games, and a few low-budget filler titles. Anything else not as far along is going to the next console.

5. Scrappy-Fan92

Nintendo seemed to be focusing this Digital Event on the stuff that was coming out in the immediate future. I don't think Zelda U will be the only remaining "AAA" Wii U game post-early 2016.

6. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

Looks like the actual release dates for Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wooly World are official.

Mario Maker - September 11, 2015

Yoshi's Wooly World - October 16, 2015

Both dates are a Friday. Oh, well.

7. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

That leaves an almost four-month drought between Splatoon and the next major release (Mario Maker).

The smart thing to do would have been to put Yoshi in the middle of the summer, when Japan and Europe are getting it.

8. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

And maybe some Mario Kart 8 crossover DLC to keep people engaged.

Though there IS a BIG update for Splatoon in August that will introduce new game modes for ranked battle, team matchmaking and custom friend lobbies. That's gonna be fun.

9. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

"More crossover DLC"? I really hope not. The reason I'm not getting the existing DLC is because I bought Mario Kart 8 to play "Mario" Kart, not "Nintendo Kart/'Smash' Kart"...

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

10. Undrave

It's not like the crossover content is overwhelming. We got Link, Villager, Isabelle, Master Cycle, Triforce Tire, Hyrule Glider, City Tripper, Streetle (those latter two not really exclusive ideas to AC), Animal Crossing tires, Paper Airplane Glider, Excitebike track, Mute city, Hyrule Circuit, Big Blue and Animal Crossing.

Compared to all the Mario options we got in the DLC packs it's not terrible. It's not like I don't want more Mario Content in there. Mostly one other crossover driver (INKLINGS!) and one track for that driver. Maybe another F-Zero track because Mute City and Big Blue are friggin' AMAZING!

Or maybe just some more content representing other areas of the 'Mario family' games, like DK tracks, SMB2 USA inspired tracks (and Birdo's return), maybe Paper Mario inspiread content (Mister L as a driver?), Mario and Luigi inspiread tracks (how about racing INSIDE Bowser!?), racing around the island from Mario Baseball? Diddy Kong Racing is ripe for hommages too! Maybe Pauline could be a fun inclusion?

Any new Mario Kart 8 content would be welcomed is my point, but I know there would be more hype for crossover content.

Maybe it would placate the Metroid fan to see Samus' ship as a kart? Or maybe just outright include Samus as a driver?

11. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

My theory with the late release date in America for Yoshi has to do with the Amiibo compatibility for the game (i e. the ability to unlock various Yoshi designs based on Smash Bros., Super Mario, and Splatoon characters) and how the next major Smash Bros. wave is being saved up for September in America in order to take advantage of the holiday toy season.

12. Alonso Torrejon

According to the tweets from Twitter, a certain Sonic Boom game and Mario & Sonic game will not be released this year. Why is that?

13. Scrappy-Fan92

^Can you find one of those tweets?

14. Alonso Torrejon

15. Scrappy-Fan92

^Hmmm, we'll see. I suppose it's for the best if these games get delayed for more polishing.

16. Undrave

I downloaded the Freedom Planet and Typoman demos, they're pretty darn cool. Anybody else tried the Nindies@Home specials?

17. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Splatoon sold a million units worldwide already.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I don't think anyone expected this to sell as fast as Mario Kart 8 or Smash (they passed this mark within week 1) but for a brand new IP on this platform that seems pretty good, I think. Buzz is good so far and I've had fun even though I don't really go in for shooters, and there are signs Nintendo's going to support the game with new stuff for some time. All it needs now is some legs and I don't think it's crazy to count out Splatoon 2 down the line for whatever Nintendo's next platform is. I think the components are there to make this a strong second tier franchise.

19. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

It's only the seventh or eighth (IIRC) Wii U game to cross the million-seller mark, so that's a pretty big deal.

It's going to do well, but I don't think it's going to get non-owners to buy the console, the way Pokemon and Wii Sports did. As well as Splatoon is selling, you'd expect the Wii U to have crossed the "10 million sold" mark already.

#919 Leviathan, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  20. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

• Like Like x 1
    #920 MDawg, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015