The Official "The Dark Knight" News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i'm sure it's way to early for a robin rant, BUT....

you simply can't ignore robin. he first appeared a year after batman first appeared, he's been there ever since and will be there forever. he's an important part to the batman mythos. he can't be denied a proper on screen treatment. if robin is to big of a chance to take, then at least introduce dick grayson and focus on dick in the film and save robin to the last 5 minutes or the next film.

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

3. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

I have no problem with them ignoring Robin and, despite the fact that he has been a large part of the Batman mythos, I don't think he's ever been an extremely valuable one. He's had his moments, but more often than not, I think he just detracts from Batman as a character. I'd be open to them trying to introduce him, but I doubt Nolan will while he's in charge.

4. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I'd rather just Dick Grayson instead of Robin. We don't need both.

5. Silly McGooses

I think that once they introduce him, there's really going to be no avoiding going further with the character, but who knows?

6. socialcrawl

socialcrawl New Member

Trailer is such a tease .I can't not wait until the movie hits the theaters.

7. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

As I speculated it before, Nolan could have declared such ideas because:

1. He really thinks that way

2. He might wanted to give Robin a try, but since he was taking the franchise over a campy mess perpetrated by Joel Shumacher, he wanted to make a stand as being as less camp as possible. And since Robin has a potential of being very camp, he preferred to deny him of existence back them.

8. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

If Dick is old enough it may work but then again, Bruce will need to be older for him to come off as a wise(r) teacher.

9. Silly McGooses

For me, Robin needs to be quite young for the character to work and bring out the more fatherly qualities in Batman--one of the only interesting results of Robin's presence, IMO, but if he is so young, then it would just be creepy and unrealistic onscreen.

10. Steven C

Steven C Active Member

No Robin the the Nolan Batman movies pls!!!!!!

11. FightingDreamer

FightingDreamer Mutant on the Rise

Eh... I don't know about Robin. I think if you're gonna introduce him into Nolan's Batverse, introduce him in one of the later films (if we get that many). Otherwise it's probably going to feel like a sop to the fans.

12. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

To be honest,if they were considering using Dick Grayson, I would like them to skip straight to Nightwing.He is a more serious character to be honest.

13. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

Can't have a Nightwing without Robin. That's just blatantly ignoring/butchering the journey of the character.

It's all moot anyway, as Nolan isn't doing him. Maybe next time, I'm certainly open to his inclusion.

14. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

I don't think Nolan will ever include Robin in any of the moviees.

15. sdp

sdp miscrave

Hope the scarecrow isn't just in some lame scene, I mean I hope he has a bigger part than just "oh here I am, oh I'm caught". Unless its done very well. Of course I don't expect him to be a main villain again.

They've mentioned many times no Robin, mostly since this movies are about young bruce wayne. And yeah its hard to introduce nightwing without Robin, and you'd first have to establish Robins close relationship with bruce before breaking them away, though It'd be a great spin-off movie Nightwing...hmmm

16. Robin2099

Robin2099 Active Member

Robin can be an interesting character in the cartoons but not so much in the live action world. If you make him too old, their isn't a point to him because it makes you wonder why Bruce would take in a high schooler. By the same exact token if you make him too young, then it will just become campy. I mean the thought of Bale fighting on screen with a thirteen year old with a costume like his is making me role my eyes already.

But I do like Robin, he just doesn't really have a place in this version of Batman.

17. dark knight acolyte

dark knight acolyte Deep in the Shadows of Gotham

There will be three movies in what will end as a compact, well-made consistent trilogy, and the third and final movie, I'd bet in mass $'s, will in no way include, reference, or even hint at Robin.

And that's the way I'd want it!

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

New Promo Art
    [​IMG]

19. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

But I still think Dick Grayson can fit. Just because Dick Grayson is there doesn't mean there HAS to be a Robin.

20. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

The same exact reason why he's always taken him in. He sees himself in Grayson, and knows the kid's potential. He is to Dick, what Alfred could only hope to be, because they both share a common tragedy that eventually shapes their entire lifestyle. It goes far deeper than that, but the basic concept is there. I don't see how that would not work in live-action. It's very poignant.

I wouldn't be in favor of that visual either. That's why I'd like it more if Robin was around 16-18, young enough to still need guidance, but old enough that it's be "plausible" he is roaming the streets alongside Bats.

This version of Batman is no more drastically different than the "Dark" Batman that has been in the comics for decades. Yet, he's managed to uphold a sidekick and not make it campy. Go figure.

I see no purpose in that. Why even include him in the first place?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.