The "Nintendo Switch" News and Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Here's a Nintendo Switch unboxing video. It even shows how to set it all up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SNS

SNS "I am..."

3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

You can now go claim your User ID for whatever the next step is in the online process. I had to click on the lower "Log in with a Nintendo Network ID" to get to the screen.

For simplicity's sake, I just made mine the same as my other Nintendo ID. I don't want to have to memorize all kinds of different Nintendo IDs.

4. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the article is biased towards their understanding of it (they're calling it "complicated", which it isn't). They're also calling the online account system "byzantine", which also isn't fair. In short, it's just more anti-Nintendo bias that's (possibly) late to the party (OTOH, this is admittedly my first time hearing about this). Also, according to one of the comments, the user I.D. line has been there for some time.

5. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Nintendo has posted their own official unboxing video for the Switch.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

My username is going to be HarlockOfArcadia, same as my Playstation Network ID, for any who'll want to add me (capitalization isn't a thing with the account though, apparently). Let's make a sticky thread next week (and a fresh Zelda thread, so I can spam screenshots and freak out). ;)

Switch units have found their way into the hand of reviewers. I think it's Thursday or Friday that embargos start getting lifted, so there should be a flood of coverage soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Checking one of my local Gamestop today, the Swtich accessories are starting to arrive at stores. So far, all that the Gamestop that I went to had so far were the screen protectors. However, I'm hoping that one store will get the "Starter" kit (either Mario or Zelda) before the system launch next Friday.

• Like Like x 1
  8. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like a good plan. I don't know how late I'll be back from the theater and I have class in the morning, so if I miss any needed mod action, go for it. :)

Amazon is supposed to send my Zelda copy for release day, even though a glitch says "arriving 31st". Spring break starts that weekend, I'll be mad if it doesn't arrive...

• Like Like x 1
  9. MDawg

A Nindies (indie games) showcase has been announced for the Switch this coming Tuesday, February 28 at 12PM ET/9AM PT.

No Virtual Console at launch, but we get Shovel Knight and FAST RMX as launch games.
    i know it's minor to most, but I appreciate that time syncing via the internet will be included on the Switch.
    [​IMG]

Full video of a tour of the rest of the Switch's UI and operating system as well.

Another official unboxing, this time with Nintendo Europe's president.

It's getting tough to avoid all these videos and media, but I kinda wanna experience it myself. Only 7 days left!

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

For those unaware, Fast RMX basically comes off as a racer aimed at people who wish a F-Zero game would be made again. Seemed pretty good for what it was at the preview event.

Also of note is I Am Setsuna from Tokyo RPG Factory (& published by Square Enix). Came to PS4 and PC close to a year ago, & they were openly saying it was made to call back to Chrono Trigger and 1990s RPGs.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/i-am-setsuna-switch

11. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a pretty well known series at this point (kind of). It's the third in the "Fast Racing League" series.

12. MDawg

I know it's a cross-platform title, but Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is really shaping up to be a contender for breakout indie title. Here's the latest trailer showing off some dang cool features (makes me wish I had the original version).

Another title that has the trappings of a sleeper hit is Snipperclips and it has been announced as a launch day title in the US and around the globe.

Japan and Europe can get a nifty Joy-Con bundle with the game that hasn't been announced for the US though. The colors are swapped from the Switch's neon set in case you thought you were getting a completely matching pair if you happen to get that version.

#252 MDawg, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Best Buy prepping my Neon color Switch model for shipping. Forecast mostly sunny for delivery on time for Friday, which would be adequate redemption for the time they kicked my Fire Emblem Fates special edition way forward.

IGN put up a fun little montage of games confirmed for the Switch so far mid-month:

14. MDawg

The Nindies Showcase is going live in 10 minutes. You'll also be able to watch the entire replay later here.

15. MDawg

Very nice presentation that covered a ton of stuff. I was most surprised by the announcement of Blaster Master Zero, which will be available a week after the Switch's launch.

Was this game announced or anything beforehand? I can't recall any info about it before today. Nonetheless, it looks great.

Nintendo is really picking clean the only thing the Vita had going for it with this massive assortment of indie titles. Hell, it even solves the problem of me buying smaller titles on PC and just forgetting about them. I'm just more-likely to play a title like any of these on a console.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Shantae really, really needs to be on this. Switch's release might be the right time to finally try Shovel Knight though.

Was annoyed to discover today Ultra Street Fighter II is going to be $40 in May. This is double what the old HD version was, and I don't see how it can be justified even if this is the sharpest looking iteration of the game. You can get a full fledged original game for this, or even multiple indie titles depending on what they are. Capcom could've justified this if they'd actually dramatically expanded on the roster, perhaps, but variants on Ryu and Ken and some weird first person mode really aren't enough.

Still want Sonic, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Blaster Master Zero was originally announced for 3DS last year, before they announced the release date and a Switch version during the Nindies presentation. Out of all the games they showed, this one had my attention the most. I already knew about it, but it still looked exciting. Since I probably won't get a Switch until holiday 2018 at the earliest, I'll just get this for 3DS.

I already have Fast Racing Neo and Shovel Knight on Wii U so I'll skip Fast RMX and Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. SteamWorld Dig 2, Pocket Rumble, Kingdom: Two Crowns and Shakedown Hawaii looked interesting too.
    I'm guessing Shantae will appear at some point in time. Same with the Mighty Switch Force games for obvious reasons. A complete collection of all the Mighty Switch Force games would be an amazing offer.

I'm not really interested in Ultra Street Fighter II, but the price is controversial. It seems like physical Switch games all cost a hefty price, so I'm not sure if Nintendo wants all physical Switch games to cost a certain amount. It could be part of their plan not to sell the Switch at a loss, perhaps including physical games.That's just my guess.

As for Sonic, I already pre-ordered Sonic Mania for PS4 and since I probably won't have the Switch until late 2018 at the earliest, I'll stick with my pre-order, but I love Sonic the way most people seem to love Zelda so I'm definitely on it. Same with Project Sonic 2017.

18. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

19. MDawg

Full article because Forbes is a garbage rag that others shouldn't have to deal with to read stuff they yanked from other game news sites.

1, 2, 4 and 6 are such minor issues that it's an insult to the "Biggest" part of the title. 3 is problem, but I imagine Nintendo will be issuing a fix sooner or later and just how soon do you need to transfer saves that it would already be a problem three days in? 5 I think is a case of people manhandling their equipment and not really getting that you should I don't know, treat your stuff carefully maybe?

All in all, there really isn't anything here of note that you wouldn't see from better outlets.

20. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't call any of those things minor. #5 is caused by normal usage of the machine, which suggests a design flaw.

You can quibble about different things, but I struggle to recall a Nintendo hardware launch that was as botched as this.