"The Mummy Returns" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by mxyzptlk, May 5, 2001.

?

NEW POLL! Rate This Movie and Post Your Comments

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

the mummy returns

i thought this movie was a lot better than the mummy and anyone who liked the first one alot would probley would like this evan more. i would rate this movie 4 out of 5 stars.

:D

2. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

how good is "the rock"'s acting?

3. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Master of the Force

Yeah, the movie was actually ok. I saw the first one just a few days ago, and I liked this one better. Neither are worthy of many accolades, but both are entertaining as hell. This movie just seemed ot be more full of action, and funnier too. Very enjoyable, worth checking out just for a good time.

The Rock seriously only has like 3 lines, and none are in English. Acting? The only motions he makes are swinging of his arms to knock people around like dummies. Not bad for a debut, I guess, but I'm not a fan of his in the first place.

4. Re: the mummy returns

I've read some startlingly bad reviews for it. But, I don't put much weight in reviews anyway. The trailer(long-preview) made the film look awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing it and probably will see it tomorrow. In my opinion this is a good movie to see in the theatre. It's brainless eye candy, so indulge. :p

5. joker

joker Rock N' Roll Heart

on the rocks acting. he was only in it for about 5 miniutes at the begining and at the end he was computer generated. his lines were all in egytian all two of them. they could been jibberish for all i know. but over all i gave it a 2 out of 5. this movie could have been a lot better. there was to much extreme quenceidence and over kill

extreme quenceidence: every thing happend at exactly the right time. the kid knock a hole in the wall to save his parents even though he didnt mean to do it. the protector of pharoah guy came into frasiers house just as some one was about to die and save them. and so on and so on

over kill: to manny "things". you had the anubis warrior things. you had the normal momies. the super momies. and the little crack fiend dart shooting canibal midgets(those were kinda cool though). plus there was the one part where the mummy did the water the same way he did with the sand in the first part when he was eating the plane.....this is the same exact scene! do they think were stupid?

plus there was too much left unexplained. you had about 8 hours of movie crammed into an hour and a half. thats just holly wood i guess.

6. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

whats a momie

hey jokester what's a momie just out of curiosity

7. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

joker

what do u mean that the mummy should not have used his face in the water trick i mean kind like his trade marc move like telling superman not to use his x-ray vision cause he already used it in one of the other comics or movies.:mad:

8. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Master of the Force

There were obviously many problems with the movie, but I don't think drawing parallels with the first one counts. I remembered at least 3 scenes which were very similar to scenes form the first movie:

1) The beginning where the kid knocks over all the pillars is just like when Evelyn knocks over all the bookcases in the first one.

2) The water thing that joker mentioned is just like the sand thing int he first one.

3) When the kid is reading from the book at the end, he asks Jonathon what the last symbol is, just like the way Jonathon asked Evelyn the same thing in the first movie.

If at all, I think these devices helped the movie, only to show that they weren't taking themselves all that seriously. You can't watch this movie and expect a brilliant piece of art. It's a freakin' popcorn movie! Just go and enjoy the special effects and the action.

It was an overkill, but without an overkill, it's pretty much pointless to watch the movie. Just remember it's all for fun. Leave your brain at the door and enjoy the movie.

9. Just saw it. I might buy the DVD after all.

I didn't think the first one was very good at all. Even the action seemed half-hearted. I like the go-for-broke approach in this film. There are a lot of fight scenes that ala Crouching Tiger and big Gladiator/Braveheart war scenes, - the gore.

I also really liked how the characters were dramatic when they needed to be, but had fun as well. The cast looks at home in this one. I had a lot of fun. I'd rate it above X-Men, the Matrix, and even the melo-dramatic crouching Tiger.

I enjoy deep plots and complicated characters too. But there's something to be said for root for the sqeaky-clean good guy movies.

I liked this film for the same reason I like Jackie Chan Movies. Because I like Jackie Chan and I like action and I like watching Jackie Chan perpetrate action. I really like the hero's in "The Mummy Returns." And to like the characters is to like the movie.

10. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The Mummy Returns Gross

The movie grossed a record breaking $70.1 million dollars this weekend, much more than the originals $43.4 million opening in 1999. This is the 2nd biggest opening behind The Lost World's $72.1 million opening. It also bests Star Wars Ep.1 weekend grossing of $64.8 mill. Damn, I thoght it'd gross $50 at the most.