The Mistreatment Of Daffy Duck

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by JabarR, Apr 30, 2015.

1. rajzfilm

rajzfilm Member

This is how I feel about Daffy's portrayal:

- Who Framed Roger Rabbit: we have the 40's Daffy, which I love.
    - Tiny Toon Adventures: Plucky wasn't exactly like 50's Daffy. He was actually quite cool and friendly and won 50% of time.
    - Taz-Mania: the platypus brothers were like 40's Daffy being a genius inventor.
    - Space Jam: the best protrayal of Daffy since 1949.
    - Baby Looney Tunes: this show NEVER existed.
    - Looney Tunes Back in Action: he was 50's Daffy... but he wasn't stupid, he was wacky like 40's Daffy.
    - Duck Dodgers: he was LAZY... which for me is totally out of character. He's supposed to be EAGER! And he was STUPID too... Still, he was half-competent and somewhat wacky.
    - Loonatics Unleashed: Danger Duck was a cool and the show is underrated.
    - Bah Humduck: the 50's Daffy getting reformed is quite entertaining.
    - The Looney Tunes Show: they ruined all the characters, including Daffy. He was a MORON.

2. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

It's hard to really complain about Duck Amuck since it's an iconic and ingenious short. Perhaps the only thing wrong with it is Bugs torments Daffy for no reason (perhaps why Jones felt the need for Rabbit Rampage). :p

Same for Rabbit Fire and Duck Dodgers. They're brilliant shorts standalone, but then the premise got milked for nearly EVERY CARTOON HE WAS IN. What was originally the most versatile character of the Looney Tunes roster and perhaps even the Golden Age era as a whole was now shoehorned into the same formulaic approach as all of Jones' other creations. I mean it's clever and funny, but it gets boring repeated over and over.

I heard Jones actually got kinda antsy when any project didn't use his version of Daffy, though I don't know if the sources are reliable.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

The animator in Duck Amuck was supposed to be Chuck Jones himself, but Joe and Jane Average Moviegoer wouldn't know who Jones was just by glancing at him. Jones opted for Bugs because he felt that he was the only other person who knew Daffy well enough inside and out to torment him so precisely.

Anyway, as ToonReel mentioned, it's hard to get mad at Duck Amuck because it was so meta; it was more of an experiment than a standard short, really. Jones stated that he wanted to show that Daffy would still be Daffy, acting and struggling as he normally does even on an empty screen, without the added benefit of traditional props, sound, music or costumes. As an author noted, Duck Amuck could be seen as Daffy's Book of Job.

Rabbit Rampage didn't work as well because Bugs doesn't make a good victim; he's funniest when he's winning, plus making Elmer of all people his omniscient tormentor didn't work at all.

#23 Silverstar, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  4. quiteliterally

Maybe it's because I happened to see Rabbit Rampage long before I'd even heard of Duck Amuck, but I'm in a minority that actually prefers the former to the latter. It helps that I'm rarely on the side of the characters in Loony Tunes shorts who typically come out on top. From my perspective there are enough examples of Bugs one-upping Daffy out there, but seeing Elmer have the upper hand over Bugs for an entire short is a nice little novelty.

5. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

While I think Rabbit Rampage pales in comparison to Duck Amuck, I don't think it was because of the character. I liked formula breakers and seeing a character in a different light. I think those odd times Bugs was the frustrated loser added an extra depth to him, constant winners are harder to find endearing. I liked Elmer getting a dark horse victory too (I'm mixed whether Daffy getting revenge would have worked better though). It maybe didn't work as well in this case because as mentioned, Jones wasn't really accustomed to altering the dynamics. You wanna see a good bitter Bugs, watch Clampett's Tortoise Wins By A Hare or Mckimson's Rebel Rabbit.

It's the same for the odd times Daffy won even in his later form (eg. Ducking The Devil).

#25 ToonReel, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  6. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

I liked Daffy the most during the early to mid 1950's, before his selfishness completely consumed him by the 1960's.

7. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

I suppose because I have always viewed cartoon characters a bit like actors who take on a persona depending on the script (Who Framed Roger Rabbit may be responsible for this), I can take Daffy and other characters’ changes of persona on the chin. For example Bugs Bunny is more of an antagonist when pitted against the Tortoise but is the one we cheer on when pitted against Yosemite Sam.

Daffy I prefer in his earlier shorts when he is just mad and going crazy but I also enjoy his more villainous greedy role in his cartoons with Speedy Gonzales.

Daffy is one of my favourite WB characters because he can be so versatile and still have the essence of Daffy.

I also think no matter what WB does with Daffy these days nothing comes close to Duck Amuck for sheer entertainment in 7 minutes.

8. SolotheYoloRolo

SolotheYoloRolo New Member

I always liked earlier Daffy too, but I thought early-mid 50's Jones Daffy was pretty funny.

In the early 50's shorts like Duck Dodgers and Drip-Along he still seemed pretty whacky, just in a different way. I love the Daffy-Porky pairings Jones did. Not too big of a fan of his Bugs-Daffy pairings which tended to bring out the worst in Daffy.

I liked him in the Dodgers TV show too. He wasn't a big greedy dick like in the late 50's-60's shorts, he was more of a lovable jerk kind of character. Pairing him with Porky definitely helped too.

9. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For the most part Daffy is funny on his own and really that is what would be more better to see, and Duck Dodgers really showed him well.