"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Disney Movies Anywhere's selection of Christmas specials seems pretty random: Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July and Jack Frost, but not The Year Without a Santa Claus? Charlie Brown and How the Grinch Stole Christmas also look surprisingly AWOL.
    (In fact, they don't have any Dr. Seuss TV specials, except for The Lorax.)

On an amusing note, the row of christmas specials and movies on their front page lumps Die Hard in with some family fare.

2. columbiaharmeowny

columbiaharmeowny Un Poco Loco

That reminds me of the Christmas children’s book parody of Die Hard that came out this year...but in the case of Movies Anywhere listing it with family films, that’s pretty odd. Sure, it takes place during Christmas (from what I learned about said book), but just because it’s set then doesn’t mean it’s for kids.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

That is interesting, I did see another site list Planes, Trains, and Automobiles as a "kids & family" film despite it having the 19 f-bombs and the "you play with your b***s a lot" scene intact. Just because all those edgy jokes on the Internet say Die Hard is one of the best Christmas movies shouldn't mean it belongs with those classics; that is an interesting oversight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

which ALSO reminds me that there's a Christmas book I saw in a bookstore just this week, it's a Doctor Who/Mr. Men parody called "Doctor Tenth Christmas Adventure" or something.

5. Dsneybuf

Maybe afterwards, a defense of Frosty Returns? I'm not a fan of the Frosty series in general, but I've felt intrigued with your choice of this as the best entry.

6. Norman Krasner

Rapsittie Street Kids aired in syndication, mostly on weekends it seems, it didn't actually on the WB network but WB+ which was mostly a pre packaged channel for smaller markets (now CW+), it probably also aired on some WB affiliates as weekend filler

https://www.newspapers.com/search/#query="Rapsittie+Street+Kids"

#606 Norman Krasner, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  7. twilicorn

but I suggested it to him as a tribute to June Foray - a "compare and contrast" sort of thing with the original airing with her and Paul Frees as all of the kids, and the current version where most (but not all) of their kid voices are dubbed over.

8. Dsneybuf

Why exactly can't Peter follow up such an article by reviewing another Frosty special?

9. columbiaharmeowny

columbiaharmeowny Un Poco Loco

I have two suggestions for specials that you should review from this year, both based on franchises aimed at girls.

Trolls Holiday: Trolls could well be considered DreamWorks’ Frozen: like Frozen, it was a musical movie that was a surprise success and spawned a popular franchise. So naturally, they had to make a Christmas special. You gotta see this for yourself, because it’s weird and it tries to be “hip with the kids”.

Olaf’s Frozen Adventure: This one should definitely be reviewed, due to the unique nature of this special: It was going to air on ABC, but they thought it was too theatrical to air on TV, so they attached it to Coco, and people hated that decision. The only problem with this special is that I don’t know if it will play on TV in the United States this year, or if any of the international channels showing it or if the iTunes version that one country got will have the English audio, so you may have to delay reviewing that special to 2018 or 2019.

ETA: ABC will air this special on December 14th.

#609 columbiaharmeowny, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  10. twilicorn

I've suggested a few times that you review Christmas Dreams, a CBC special from 2009 that has aired on Bounce TV for the past few years. It's about a girl who happens upon a magical store around Christmastime, and features everyone singing a bunch of semi-obscure Christmas songs such as "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep" and "Maybe This Christmas". Now that Portland gets Bounce, would you be so kind as to record it if it airs again this year, review it for the Island of Misfit Christmas Specials one day, and maaaaaybe send a recording my way?

11. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

12. Dsneybuf

Whoa, you and the Nostalgia Critic reviewed the same thing on the same day. I don't know which review to watch or read first...

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

Dammit! I had a feeling that was coming, but I gambled on his putting out that review closer to Christmas.

This just proves my point that I had to get it out fast. Soon everyone will have done this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dsneybuf

He actually revealed the release date on November 28 or 29 (check the description):

15. Norman Krasner

The Town that Santa Forgot by Hanna-Barbera, aired on NBC in 1993 against a Family Matters rerun

another possible misfit The 12 Days of Christmas aired after this against a Step by Step rerun, NBC aired yet another possible Misfit Charles Dickens' David Copperfield the next week against the whole TGIF lineup

#615 Norman Krasner, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  16. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Idol Time Countdown!

I KNEW it was this one. I do remember seeing this on a TV at an OfficeMax when I was little (their TVs played ABC, the network where it aired on in my area). Boy, that animation was worse than I remember-Plotagon and the now defunct XtraNormal look better than this! This looks on par with the Jimmy Neutron Happy Family Happy Hour videos!

17. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

I haven't seen this yet, but to be honest I'm kinda disappointed that the Nostalgia Critic picked this as his first Christmas review this year. It's such low-hanging fruit. A number of other reviewers have already touched it (as it has been done here).

I kinda miss the days when the stuff he did was a little more obscure. I mean, I hadn't heard of Santa Claus: The Movie before he did it and he made some really nice recommendations in his Christmas Top 12 lists (some of which are real gems, I myself recommend "A Very Cutlip Christmas", "The Draft Dodger", and "Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean", and I'll be checking out Joyeux Noel this year hopefully).

18. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Everyone kind of already has by this point, really. I think your take was literally the last one that could add anything new. The Nostalgia Critic's review of it really wasn't anything special.

19. Dsneybuf

Phelous also reviewed it, though his video will remain exclusive to his Patreon supporters, until next week.
    I had it on VHS, but I don't remember watching it as often as, say, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, or even "I'm Dreaming of a White Ranger".

20. twilicorn

I want to see Jontron review this special, though given his notoriously long gaps between videos we probably wouldn't be seeing it for a while yet.

Looking at it now it reminds me of another thing Jon reviewed - a Christian PC game called The Zoo Race:

And the way you described your fantasy "worst Christmas special ever" actually seems more suited for a creepypasta. If anything, the Candle Cove Christmas special wouldn't be too far off.