"The Gifted" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I personally love the moment and it might have been my actual favorite thing in the episode. When the blood started gushing, I was like "Here we go." This is the point in genre where the Black Savior dies on the operating table with the people he either got shot for, or love the person he got shot for, unable to do a damn thing but bask in his heroic selflessness, with tears streaming down their faces that it's coincidentally the black guy who always suffers for their righteousness. And then Lauren's all like "Lemme try something" and suddenly and for the first time ever, the Dead Black Savior is no longer dead. Because they have super doctor powers now. How awesome is that?

• Like Like x 2
  2. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

It's helpful to watch this show with closed captioning to identify mutants before they use their powers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Nice reveal the X-men picked Thunderbird to lead the Underground because they knew this 'war' was coming before they vanished.

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted “got your siX”

I kind of feel that the conflict felt a bit heavy handed and forced, particularly the stuff in the truck with Andy and Reed. But conflict in X-Men projects often feels contrived. I just assumed because it hadn’t happened on this show before, that it would never happen. Apparently the sermonizing affects even the good X-Men stuff.

I think Polaris is the worst leader ever. I don’t know. “You’ll always be fighting. This is survival, and this is the new normal,” does not strike me as an empowering message for a leader to give. Frankly, Magneto was better at this. Magneto always promised victory, light at the end of the tunnel, and the idea that the Mutants would win and crush humanity, and it would all be worth it. That strikes me as a far more appealing message than “It will never be worth it.” But maybe that’s just me.

I noticed they went back to the idea that Reed was always the shoe in Monopoly. People who watch superhero shows don’t notice or care about those kinds of things, but as someone who is only interested in the character drama, I kind of got the feeling the family was finally whole again entirely from that. Which makes it a good call-back.

Good riddance to Blink. She was NOT pulling her weight. They can do without her.

The fact that the Mutants on this show can use their powers in unexpected ways either solo, or with each other (such as Eclipse darkening the inside of the truck, or Lauren and her new boyfriend making the truck fly while camouflaging it) makes me truly comprehend exactly how inadequate Heroes was for five seasons with the same premise. This is episode 6. NONE of the Evos on Heroes ever worked this well together. And I’m starting to think that is a shame. Tim Kring sucks.

Who is Thunderbird’s father? Didn’t get that reference.

This was a little too much “He’s a mutie! A MUTIE!” to me. **1/2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. reflection01

The genre has come a long way since Heroes. It played its part.

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted "eXtreme measures"

Mostly favorable impression.

I like what hot water Eclipse is in with Polaris. Because if the situation was different, they could just break up. But they can't. They live close quarters in a shelter with each other, and work together, and are expecting a baby together to boot. Polaris does not have the luxury of dumping him. They are going to have to figure out a way to live with and deal with his crappy decisions. There isn't much other choice.

I think giving the Senator the stroke was so stupid and outright badly written. Let's say that the plan to do that actually DID work. Wouldn't it have been easier and raised less suspicion to not give her the stroke in the middle of the conference where she is forbidding government interference to this extent? Because even if I hadn't seen the guy in the corner squeezing his fist, my first thought upon seeing that would be "foul play". No question. Turner might not have even questioned a stroke if it had happened earlier in the day, and not in front of a ton of witnesses while she was the stalling the very program that the stroke givers wanted to proceed. I think the writers did it to make a statement about how scary the guys Turner is working with are. Instead, I think they are sloppy. Their theatricality is going to get them caught. It's not sinister, it's stupid.

I was less surprised that Wes was a criminal, and more surprised that he admitted it to Lauren. He did NOT have to do that. She would have believed him if he had denied it, so it was perhaps in his best interest to lie. Except, it seems like he actually cares about her, so he doesn't want to do that.

Blink is one of those characters who always works my last nerve, but I'm hoping that changes next week. When she said that this is her fight now, as bad as I felt for those Mutant kids who died, at least they finally got Blink to give a damn. It's been a long time coming, and the character will be better off for it.

Trask huh? That's a bad guy name for sure. If Reed's father worked for them, his father is probably garbage.

Good week. ****.

#26 Fone Bone, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, the scene with the senator getting the stroke was cliche, they just wanted to get the wheels spinning in Jace's head about who he jumped in bed with but didn't out much thought into the execution.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

New The Gifted! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on FOX.

[​IMG]
    "threat of eXtinction"
    Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on FOX
    The Mutant Underground receives more refugees, but problems arise when a spy for Sentinel Services is found among them.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted "threat of eXtinction"

I did not see Grandpa Strucker being a Mutant coming. It's really good for one reason. The previews showed the character telling Reed to protect the world from Andy and Lauren. Now, if he's a human Trask Industries company man, that line is merely trailer bait, and I have about as much to worry about as Luke Skywalker turning evil in the Original Trilogy. But if he's a Mutant, who has seen what those specific powers can do, suddenly I take the dire warning very seriously. It turns out Caitlin is worried that she and Reed will wind up on different sides of the Mutant War than their children. Maybe they will. But it's possible Andy and Lauren will become SUCH a threat, that Caitlin and Reed will be staying in the Mutant Underground simply to have a chance of stopping them without killing them. This is all theoretical at this point. But the warning from the preview is far more credible coming from a Mutant instead of a human turncoat.

I have mentioned that I love how the Mutants on this show use their powers together in interesting ways. Well, it turns out, if it's not Andy and Lauren trying to figure stuff out, the old hat Mutant Underground will do it too... without the producers feeling the need to explain what is happening to the audience. We are trusted and expected to keep up with it on our own. And as fast and confusing as Eclipse and Blink's scene with Chloe was, I love that the producers didn't spoonfeed it to me either.

Frankly, this show uses specials Powers together better than any MCU project, including Captain America: Civil War, where that should have happened a LOT. Hell, the X-Men movies don't tend to do a lot of power combos either, so it's especially impressive that this show does it on a TV budget.

This show is getting really good. ****1/2.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes. This episode was a nice reward to fans and addressed the Strucker surname, as well as filling out the canon in this show. Reed finding out about his father being a mutant, working for Trask to get rid of the gene, suppressing his gene, Fenris -- I'd be stuttering like him, too. Now that this brother-sister super power's been revealed, I can only wonder if it's somehow connected to the Dallas incident or is a red herring and they're going to be separate things. Though I can see them totally blowing up a lab or prison related to Sentinel Services but only makes things worse for the mutants in the eyes of the public.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

New episodes return! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on FOX.

[​IMG]
    "outfoX"
    Monday, December 4, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on FOX
    The team strategizes a risky plan to assist mutants who are being held in the Sentinel Services' custody.

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted "outfoX"

The ending surprised me. I expected things to go down a LOT worse. I fully expected the Struckers to blow that building to kingdom come and commit their first mass murder. Them getting captured instead was an unpleasant surprise. I'm especially impressed Andy had the willpower to drop the hand on his own. Another unexpected moment.

I think Esre is working for the Sentinels. I think she's the second asset inside their building. Yeah, Watkins made a GOOD guess about what was going on. But there was no way he could have gotten that massive amount of soldiers and firepower together unless they had a second confirmed source as to what was going on. Esre has been far too snoopy, nosy, and narrow-minded for me to believe she is doing anything but being a hindrance on purpose.

I love that Reed is offended that Caitlin asked him if he had been keeping this from her. It's a natural reaction from Caitlin upon learning that information, but damn, it's still insulting as all hell to ever ask of someone you supposedly love and trust. That's probably why she backtracked so quickly.

Reference to the Hellfire Club and the events of X-Men: First Class. Only thing better woulda be a photo of January Jones in a bikini.

That did NOT go the way I expected it to go. ***1/2.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, there's a prevailing theory Esme is part of an adaptation of the Stepford Cuckoos characters. In the comics, there were quintuplets: Celeste, Esme, Irma, Phoebe, and Sophie. And in the case of this show, they're probably mutants under Trask's control. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a reveal next episode.

• Like Like x 2
  14. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    "eXploited"
    Monday, December 11, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on FOX
    Facing a moral dilemma, Jace is forced to surrender something of great value over to Dr. Campbell, which leaves the team at Mutant HQ divided.

15. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Gifted "eXploited"

I love this show. I love that it is network television, and there are no easy answers. That's the antithesis of network television, BTW. In the comics and the cartoons, the Sentinel program and all attached to it are completely evil, and want what's worst for everyone. Here, with the exception of the burned guy in the lab, it is NOT cut and dry.

Man, Dreamer getting murdered SUCKED. And I only realized it when she was. I was actually on Turner's side when she had the brass to apologize to him, and tell him how she violated him was an accident. Turner is not the bad guy in the room when he lays it out like that. Except Dreamer is later first degree murdered by a guy he works for. And as his wife asks, "What are you doing in our daughter's name?"

The Underground better not team up with Esre and her crazy sisters as hinted in the preview. I do not think of them as common allies against Sentinel Services. It strikes me as more likely that the Mutant Underground and Sentinel Services will probably have to wind up becoming common allies against THEM. Those three women seem to be the worst people of everyone involved, besides the murderous burned scientist.

It's hard to pick a side to root for on this show, which is fabulous, and total step up from the cartoons and comics. I love that that Sentinel Services people like Turner are as righteous as the Mutant Underground, and Mutants like Esre are exactly as evil as the mad scientist. And it's the evil humans and Mutants actually driving the conflict. Turner is reasonable. He was willing to talk it out before the end. But the evil people on both sides are making a peace between the good characters on the opposite sides of the conflict impossible. The triplets are very similar to Magneto in my mind in that Magneto always winds up screwing the pooch just when things are about to settle down. Professor X negotiates a tentative peace, and that's when Magneto goes in for the human kill. That is the way the triplets are similar to him.

The difference there is that I kind of think Magneto's heart in is the right place. He just uses a chainsaw when a scalpel will do, but I think those triplets are probably legitimately evil, and fanning the flames on purpose so they can survey the wreckage between both sides, and grab power for themselves. I think they are purposefully blowing things up to make it harder for the Mutants. And even if that is something Magneto often wound up doing accidentally, it WAS always an accident. A group of women who can convince a group of humans to kill each other strikes me as a group that thinks that is their higher purpose and their end goal. Esre did not need to do that to free her sisters or the other prisoners. In a show that is not black and white, I think the one thing I hope the two sides agree upon in the future is that the triplets are bad for everyone (as is the burned mad scientist).

Turner calling the mad scientist on Dreamer winding up dead makes me regret this blow-up even more. Because Evil Burn Guy would definitely be on the hook for first degree murder if Turner had the time and motivation to launch a proper investigation. Now because of the Triplets' evil, Evil Burn Mad Scientist is going to get away with this. Which again makes it very difficult to decide who to root for.

This show is eating Agents of SHIELD and The Inhumans' lunch. It's almost pathetic at this point how superior this is to the network MCU shows. *****.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I would contend that a weakness of a show with no clear sides and its complicated nature -- makes it harder for them to craft the season finale, imo. I expecting not very much to get resolved because of it and the likely anticipation of a second season. I watched the producer's last show, Burn Notice, so I'm kind of already equipped for his style of storytelling.

It'll be interesting to learn who the Stepford Cuckoos are working for really or if they're operating on their own agenda. In that opening flashback, they tried to infiltrate that anti-mutant senator's crew but Sentinel Services closed on before she would whammy him in the meeting or whatever else they were planning. It was a nice touch that in the episode they're properly reunited, Campbell alludes to Weapon X when he introduces the Adamantium -- since in the comics, the triplets were part of a later cloning of Emma Frost. XIV -- XVI or something.

17. reflection01

I think a strength of the show is that there were clear sides and now the introduction of a new side makes it easier to craft a "which side are they on?" Fall finale that could go into the rest of the season.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I binge watched this show over the past few days. This by far the best superhero show on TV and online right now. It’s suspenseful, it’s action packed, the whole “mutants being an allegory” isn’t so obnoxiously blatant. I love the characters on both sides of the conflict. It’s just a good show all around.

I look forward to sentinel services and the Mutant Underground having to work together to take on the Stepford Cuckoos and whoever they’re working for.

I’m loving this show and can’t wait for more episodes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

New episode of The Gifted! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on FOX.

[​IMG]
    "3 X 1"
    Monday, January 1, 2018 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on FOX
    While tensions are high at Mutant HQ, nobody is quite sure of whom they are able to trust, which prompts Reed to reconsider staying at the compound.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah yes, an episode about both sides getting shady deals then getting played like a fiddle. Not surprised the Hellfire Club is in the mix trying to rebuild in secret but the Purifiers was a surprise. But then they quickly connected them to the senator one of the Cuckoos got close to in that flashback an episode or so ago. I hope to see Polaris kick a lot of butt in the season finale with her augmented powers, bout time.