"The Fountain" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by James Harvey, Nov 22, 2006.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

20.0%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

20.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

What if you could live forever?
    [​IMG]
    "Death is a disease, it's like any other. And there's a cure. A cure - and I will find it."

Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz

Director: Darren Aronofsky

Release Date: November 22nd, 2006

Plot Summary: The Fountain is an odyssey about one man's thousand-year struggle to save the woman he loves. His epic journey begins in 16th century Spain, where conquistador Tomas Creo (Hugh Jackman) commences his search for the Tree of Life, the legendary entity believed to grant eternal life to those who drink of its sap. As modern-day scientist Tommy Creo, he desperately struggles to find a cure for the cancer that is killing his beloved wife Isabel (Rachel Weisz). Traveling through deep space as a 26th century astronaut, Tom begins to grasp the mysteries of life that have consumed him for more than a century.

Comments?

2. Wow! No one has responded to this movie yet? I caught it last night and I thought it was great. It definately needs to be watched more than once and if you don't understand it there's still so much to observe and so much is left for interpretation. I have a feeling it will get ignored during the award season but all the actors did a splendid job and the movie itself was midbending and breathtaking. I absolutely loved it!

3. JohnCrichton

JohnCrichton An astronaut!

THE FOUNTAIN.... Do You Get It?

I'm not quite sure I understand it, and I really hate those films that "leave it open to interpretation", cuz that just sounds like the director going, "I don't even know... it was too much of a story for me to tell and I'm going to cop out by saying leaving it open to interpretation is a part of my brilliant vision."

Way I saw it was that the Spanish Explorer story was the one written by his wife.... the modern day Tom did find the Tree of Life from that experimental extract and then tracked it back to its origin.

He became immortal and somehow interlaced her DNA.... to the Tree........... and sometime far into the future...... he got that bubble thing and went to that Nebula that... had elements in it to............ revive........ people?

*scratches head*

Umm.... it went nova?

And like...... the chain reacton made.......... another world?

Crap.

Did anyone else understand this movie?

4. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

I didn't get some of the movie myself.

In my interpretation Jackmas was the Spanish explorer who gets to be immortal and passes this also to the Queen who turn into his wife. In the future, or our days, she gets sick and even the immortality can save her. And he passes his entire days trying to bring her back. In the end he discover that the only way to meet her again is dying.

Which I didn't get was the fact that he was the first human, in that part where the native american recognizes Jackman as the first human born from the tree.

5. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

My interpretation is that the "real" story took place entirely in the present. The past presented was her book, and the future presented was his ending to her book.

6. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Man, this is a great movie. I just read the graphic novel and that got me thinking about how much of an effect the film had on me the first time I saw it however many years ago. Not sure if I've ever even seen it more than that one time, but it's one of those things that you just can't stop thinking about. I came across this director's commentary track that Darren Aronofsky made that I guess doesn't come on any of the home releases. It's worth a listen if you enjoyed the movie. Will definitely have to get the blu-ray for this one.
    http://www.weisbrodimaging.com/blog...ountainCommentary/FountainCommentaryTrack.mp3