The Diary of Amber Quinnman: Sneak Peek Entry One

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by Storm, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonWes

JonWes New Member

Zhang Khan

Hey all, here is my design concept for Zhang Khan. I followed Storm's loose instructions on his look. He has a tatoo on his left art and his clothes are red and black and he has symbols on his sword (which actually mean "silent blade"). I included a rough color version of it just to give you a sense of the color.

I wanted to move him away from typical martial arts gear while retaining some of the "look" He has padded clothes, but they are made to give him a great deal of flexibility and ease of movement. He has a sleeker design, and his only weapon is his sword (the thought being that it's the only weapon he'd need).

I wanted to do something different for the tattoo as well, and not the same old same old. There are several different design ideas to choose from. The final picture shows how the tattoo would continue onto his torso. Let me know what you think. The idea was to make him deadly looking but also sort of sexy and attractive. Sorry for the geocities-ness, but my server doesn't seem to want to work today.

http://www.geocities.com/trekartproject/zhangkahn.html

2. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

love it! he looks majorly awesome...and quite lethal. Going from the left, I like the first and last two tattoos you've drawn, and I like the way the tattoo goes across on the first pic you have of him on that same page as well.

Glad to have you Dorky Fresh! Your style is simply amazing and it's wonderful to have you with us.

~Barb

3. dorky fresh

dorky fresh Guest

Hello everyone...

Storm gave me an assignment a few days ago to draw a concept of a character and here she is...

[​IMG]

I'll let Storm explain who she is and her purpose. Take it away, Storm!!!

4. Calico

Calico Didn't you get the memo?

*leaps around maniacally* Woohoo! I'm so excited to see Michael 'in person'! You did a great job dorky fresh :D Love the T-Shirts!! Your other sketches are really fantastic too.

Welcome to you and to the other new artists, Jon and Nicole! You guys are doing a great job. :)

5. Storm

Storm Active Member

:looks at DF's lastest character design:

That's Marie Chen. She is a recurring character in the AQ universe. She plays a major part in Amber's life when it come to letting go "excess baggage". She helps Amber with most of her ups and downs in life. Marie knows about Amber's past life. Marie is a very confident character and is a very nice character. Hopefully as the series progress Amber and Marie will top Tony Soprano and Dr. Melfi's moments, hehe. Enjoy!

- Storm

6. MaTibay520

MaTibay520 Guest

Hello, I'm Erwin, one of the new artists on this project. Here is a little rendition I made so far:

[​IMG]

7. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

woh, absolutely splendid there MaTibay! And glad to have you here at TZ and on the Amber crew!

~Barb

8. JonWes

JonWes New Member

Lots and Lots of pics

Cool stuff MaTibay!

I like the design for Chen a lot dorky fresh!!!

Okay, lots of pictures here. First of all, here's a group shot I did of all the characters designed so far (Chen came in after I had done the rough and there was no where to stick her in:)

[​IMG]

Next up, I'm going to post the original design for zhang khan, since I know that geocities tends to crappify the pictures. Click on all the following for larger pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay. Now, Storm wanted a cloak to add some mystery to the character. Here's my attempt at giving him one. If the cloak happens though the holster for the sword will have to move... the pic to the right is my attempt at putting it somewhere out of the way. A belt holster is the only thing I can think of.

[​IMG]

After I did the cloak thing, Storm wanted me to get rid of the abs showing. So now it's all one peice. I tried to make little scrunchy, flexible areas by that region to maintain some sense of flexibility (which is what the separate peices were for in the first design) and I think it looks okay. i also showed the cloak again. Also, Storm didn't like the direction of the other tattoo designs. And suggested the XXX tattoo from the Vin Diesel movie. Of course, we can't really use the EXACT one for copyright issues and we just want it to be it's own thing. So I started there and tried to play around with it, without making it look like some silly tribal tatoo. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

And finally, some passes at McCloud, Cambridge, and Chen (though I was going from memory for her and see that her hairstyle isn't right and I didn't quite get her... better luck next time.)

[​IMG]

9. Storm

Storm Active Member

Wow..... great stuff on! I'm loving the AQ "poster". It reminds me of the X2 poster. I love the Zhang pic especially the last two. The cloak is awesome (and yes it will be in the first story arc) I'm liking the final design. Great, great, great. I like the Matt, Chen, and Lucas pic. Anyway nice stuff Jon!

- Storm

10. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

oo, that poster is sooo cool! All these amazing sketches and stuff are really getting me excited about this project...and anxious that it's still so far away!

~Barb

11. Storm

Storm Active Member

Happy to say that I've completed issue one! Yay! I'm going to start issue two later today. To give the low down this is what you can expect: humor, sad moments, action, and thrills :)

- Storm

12. JonWes

JonWes New Member

Thanks Barb, I feel exactly the same way. :)

13. Storm

Storm Active Member

Zhang Khan by Dorky Fresh

Here is DK's verison of Zhang Khan: The Silent Assassin

[​IMG]

14. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a sketch I did at work. I was scrawling on a piece of lined paper at work and I liked the look that shot up. No it doesn't conform to the way Amber is shaping up, but it wasn't an assignment, I was just having fun. And I love challenging anything established!! :p So this was just a fun mess around - I wanted to try a more girl next door look. I like her cutey ears! :D As I said, just a bit of fun.. :p

[​IMG]

15. Kylewayne

Kylewayne Mrs. Outlander00

Cute! She looks cute as a button. Girl next door with an attitude me thinks...after all she is holding a gun. :D

*bounce bounce bounce*

16. Storm

Storm Active Member

Great picture! She really does look like "the girl next door". You did Amber justice!

- Storm

17. NGoff

NGoff Guest

Ya'all's art is lookin' awesome! I wish I could rank 'em out as fast. :(

Whelp, I manage another in my spare time of Naria....

[​IMG]

If you get the 'X'---click--->:bubbles:

-Nicole =)

18. MaTibay520

MaTibay520 Guest

Here's a preliminary design for Piper King, a recurring character.

[​IMG]

19. Storm

Storm Active Member

Info on Piper King

Piper King is Sector 18's trainee historian. Like Robert Connors she attends college at day and S-18 during her off time. She's a redheaded Brit with freckles. Piper and Bobby are current a couple. Piper is witty, smart, and cute. Piper was a character I created when Calico had her "WF Fan-Fic Awards" and TZ member Panther won for best author, as a grand prize I decided to have the winner to be drawn into an AQ issue but suddenly I really was fond of this character and decided to make her a recurring character. Great stuff MaTibay520 that is how I pictured Ms. King.

- Storm

20. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

Oh wow, Naria looks gorgeous! I love the detail of her hair, it's awesome. Love the Piper sketches Ma, she looks so cute and spunky!

~Barb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.