The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library vol 1 - 4 question

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
Ratings
564 6
New York
So first of all when do you think volume 1 -3 of the Carl Barks Disney Library will come out. Well it the last ones?

But my main question is about Carl Barks only Mickey Mouse comic The Riddle of the Red Hat, will that be included in one of the yet to be released early volumes? I think it should, it won't be the Complete Carl Barks Disney Library without it. Just have as a bonus comic in one of the volumes.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,464 4
Framingham, MA
I fully expect Riddle Of The Red Hat in a later volume. It is one of Barks' biggest curiosities and Fantagraphics would know how highly demanded it would be. Same goes for Pirate Gold. I would also not be shocked to see the Junior Woodchucks stories he wrote and his other writing only credits printed in a separate volume, as well as the stories he drew but didn't write. I say that because The Don Rosa Library has been super comprehensive too, and included the two-pagers he only drew, and the DuckTales story he only wrote. I assume the Barks Library is going to get a similar level of thoroughness.

For the record, Riddle Of The Red Hat is not great. But it's also not terrible enough to justify Barks never returning to the Mouseverse even once. I never understood why he disliked Mickey and friends so much. We probably could have gotten some epic stories if he didn't.

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
Ratings
564 6
New York
I fully expect Riddle Of The Red Hat in a later volume. It is one of Barks' biggest curiosities and Fantagraphics would know how highly demanded it would be. Same goes for Pirate Gold. I would also not be shocked to see the Junior Woodchucks stories he wrote and his other writing only credits printed in a separate volume, as well as the stories he drew but didn't write. I say that because The Don Rosa Library has been super comprehensive too, and included the two-pagers he only drew, and the DuckTales story he only wrote. I assume the Barks Library is going to get a similar level of thoroughness.

For the record, Riddle Of The Red Hat is not great. But it's also not terrible enough to justify Barks never returning to the Mouseverse even once. I never understood why he disliked Mickey and friends so much. We probably could have gotten some epic stories if he didn't.
So perhaps a bonus book, the Misc. stories that aren't Donald Duck or Uncle Scrooge stories. For the record, I have the earliest volume release volume 5 and covers 12/47 - 1948. Riddle of The Red Hat came out in 1945, so it predates, so chronologically it could be in one of the early volumes not released.

I don't think he didn't like Mickey, Mickey comics were a big influence on him, he just didn't like writing for Mickey and friends. Maybe he preferred to write flawed characters, Mickey is like Superman, he has to always be good, always be right, always win. From my experience of reading his Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge stories, every character is flawed, there are times every character is a jerk to one another, even the nephews (most of the time the nephews are likable, but there are occasion they are like they are in the classic shorts, which is just brats) . Carl Barks Scrooge McDuck, sometimes he is such a jerk, which may surprise people that only seen him in cartoons. You can't really do that Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. (Yeah I know Mickey was more edgy in the early cartoons, but that very short lived)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,464 4
Framingham, MA
Mickey was perfectly rascally in the Floyd Gottfredson Comics in the 1930's. In fact, he bordered on being a bad role model if you ask me. I'm guessing the fact that Disney had made the character completely square is what turned Barks off. But he wasn't always. Not by a longshot. In early Gottfredson strips (particularly Sundays), Mickey is more ill-behaved than Barks' Scrooge or Donald at their worst. But I strongly disliked the Gottfredson strips for other reasons.