The "Cartoon of the Week" Nomination thread!

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
885 14
Springfield, MO
Welcome to the

"Cartoon of the Week!"
(nominations thread)

There is a whole world of animation from TV days gone by. So let's celebrate them!

Each week (usually on Mondays) we'll list a cartoon from the days of yesteryear, or occasionally a memorable episode of a cartoon, and just launch a discussion thread for it.

So if you have an old cartoon, or a specific episode, that you want to discuss for that week, post your nominee here, or send one of the moderators for this forum a private message! We the mods can either launch the thread each week, or you can launch it yourself if preferred! We'll operate on a "first come, first serve" method, most of the time, but I think with this weekly method, we will get through several nominees fast! If there are no nominations a certain week, we the "Saturday Morning Forever" mods will nominate a cartoon.

So let's get started and list some choices for "Cartoon of the Week!"

ToonReel

Oct 24, 2013
Ratings
The Dreamstone is an interesting case. It was a now obscure but fairly ambitious UK project, and the timing would fit since it's now getting a rerelease by Monster Entertainment. There's also a lot to talk about concerning it, it's such a bittersweet show, it has so many awesome unique details and is incredibly funny and yet gets really simple formula elements frustratingly wrong (it was a show that REALLY loved it's villains more than it's heroes and wasn't remotely subtle about it).
[video=youtube;3jmC4g_RoKw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jmC4g_RoKw[/video]

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
885 14
Springfield, MO
The Dreamstone is an interesting case. It was a now obscure but fairly ambitious UK project, and the timing would fit since it's now getting a rerelease by Monster Entertainment. There's also a lot to talk about concerning it, it's such a bittersweet show, it has so many awesome unique details and is incredibly funny and yet gets really simple formula elements frustratingly wrong (it was a show that REALLY loved it's villains more than it's heroes and wasn't remotely subtle about it).
[video=youtube;3jmC4g_RoKw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jmC4g_RoKw[/video]
Wow, never heard of it. Did it ever air on TV in the USA?

ToonReel

Oct 24, 2013
Ratings
Wow, never heard of it. Did it ever air on TV in the USA?
I don't think it did actually. From what I heard it's only American exposure was a single VHS. To be fair, it hasn't aired in the UK in ages. You can find almost all of the show on Youtube however. I'd advise watching the awesome two part pilot at the very least.

Sep 1, 2014
Ratings
I remember The Dreamstone. It had a score by Mike Batt, which was pretty awesome. There was also the follow-up series, Bimble's Bucket, which was basically a variation on the very same thing.

ToonReel

Oct 24, 2013
Ratings
I remember The Dreamstone. It had a score by Mike Batt, which was pretty awesome. There was also the follow-up series, Bimble's Bucket, which was basically a variation on the very same thing.
The same team also did an adaptation of The Snow Queen, which added and revised many elements and characters to work in a similar fashion to The Dreamstone (eg. the Snow Queen was now a Zordrak type evil overlord with Urpney type troll minions). They really seemed to like that formula.

Dan's Revenge

"I don't need a job, I need money." - Dan
Apr 17, 2011
Ratings
736 5
Wherever You Are ;)
www.toonzone.net
What's the limit for how long ago the cartoon was?
Wonderfly I believe (unofficially) cancelled the idea probably by the end of February 2015 as hinted to the last post before yours - possibly a lack of interest by others or maybe he got bored of it. Only he knows!