"The Blacklist" Season Five Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, Nov 15, 2017.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Blacklist "The Kilgannon Corporation"

I love Aram calling Dembe his role model.

Red's description of Dembe leads me to understand exactly why he had the disbelief he did last season over the idea of Dembe ever betraying him. It's because he challenged Red's perception about the world being a terrible place. He wasn't with Red because he owed him, but rather because he could make him better. And Red tells him that if he had died he would have known Dembe was wrong. And as Dembe says "But here I am."

I love that Red and Dembe managed to get the little girl back to her father. I hope her parents feel foolish now for initially fearing Dembe.

Kilgannon Junior selling out his mother while she listened was so shocking that even Red was taken aback. It was clearly a total bluff, but it was one of those threats that you never risk it on the off-chance that it's not. The fact that it didn't work, and Junior tells Red he wanted to kill his mother himself, leaves Red dumbfounded. The only thing he can do is tell her "I'm sorry" in sympathy. Which is why she decides to help him. I do not blame Red for instantly putting a bullet in Junior after all that.

The one weak spot of the episode was the stuff with Tom. The woman he was working with getting shot in the back left a sour taste in my mouth. We'll see what happens with it next week.

Mostly good episode. ****.

The Blacklist "Ian Garvey"

This episode was so sad. The Sound Of Silence was a perfect song for the end. I can't write an extended review for this because I don't know what else I could add. But that was amazing. *****.

#2 Fone Bone, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Blacklist "Ruin"

Are they trying to play it as if Liz is going to a dark place? Because newsflash, all of those deaths she caused were justified. She says it doesn't matter that they were bad guys and that it was them or her. In reality, that's all that mattered.

I just loved her taking out those guys. They never knew what hit them. You might think that poison is dirty pool, but's it precisely that they never saw that coming which is why they were never going to win. I could tell anyone that if four men show up inside your house unannounced, they have ill-intentions, no matter what unlikely story they give you. The fact that they believed Liz bought it for as long as they did meant they never saw her coming. Because she never bought it.

They seemed a little nervous when they found out she used to be FBI. They would have crapped their pants if they found out she was Red Reddington's daughter. Because even if they wound up killing her, they would be on Red's hit-list next.

I love that she named the dog Kate. And it's the fact that they killed the dog which is why I'm a little upset the writers think she should lose sleep over that. Personally? I think she should be proud.

A little wrap-up with The Blacklist: Redemption was better than none at all. Just based on the series finale, you were led to believe Tom mistakenly sided with his crooked father, and it's good he DID realize pretty early on that his mother was innocent.

I can't believe Ethan from Lost thought he was going to win, and didn't surmise that there was probably a larger reason WHY he was doused in gasoline. I am amazed it never occurred to him that she planned to light him up. Sucks to be him.

Ryan Eggold is no longer in the credits. So unlike Megan Boone still being credited every episode after she "died" two seasons ago, I think he's actually dead.

And yes, Grace is a ghost. Perfect ending. I loved her erasing all traces of her. Personally, I think she's part Kaplan's daughter too.

Pretty good episode, I think. It was a lot more fun than the premise and episode title would have you believe. ****.

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Blacklist "The Informant"

I'm glad Ressler tried to take responsibility for his actions but I am less glad that he still got away with it.

Red bribing the hacker with an appointment with a premiere tattoo artist is another example that Red uses more carrots than sticks.

Glad Aram and Navabi are still together.

Decent week. ***1/2.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Blacklist "Abraham Stern"

Elizabeth Keene is getting good at killing people. She is still a amateur about covering it up. I could have told her the mistake immediately. She left the apartment TOO clean. Noticeably so for a criminal. And so she just gave the authorities a big fat reason to search it. And she forget to get rid of the rag. I'd take Liz to protect me in a fight? But to cover up a crime? I'd look elsewhere.

I love Red's wonderful scene with Dembe at the beginning. He's so happy, and extolling the virtues of treasure, mysteries, and The Gold Bug, and then CRASH! He's robbed by Nathan Lane. GUEST Star Nathan Lane, NOT Special Guest Star. If I were Lane, I'd be ticked. He's too fabulous for this show to not be considered a special guest.

I love that Red is trying to get Harold to see this adventure as fun. And Aram is totally on-board that idea. Harold could learn from him.

Red is quite the Luddite. He says he misses rotary phones. Can I just say how much I hated rotary phones, and for the precise reason Red hated the 0? They take forever to dial, and if you mess up the 11th number on a long distance call you have to start all over again. And if those numbers had a bunch of 8's, 9's, and 0's that was a chore. Using those things was less like using a communication device, and more like being forced to take piano lessons. Except with the rotary phone, you have nothing to show for it. Nobody is going to applaud a recital for people who dial the correct phone number on the first try.

I love Stern saying the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and then us cutting to Liz plunging a body down the tub. I had the same WTF reaction as her to the electronic eyeball.

Stern telling his story to Red was amazing because you got the sense Red was the one person on the show who could fully appreciate it. His father left him the coins so he wouldn't become a criminal. And yet here we are. I love the notion that he spent them on candy. And off course, he the remembers the specific candy: Fireballs. I love that the show always has details like that when characters like Red and Stern are spinning their various yarns. It makes it like you're almost in the room with Red and Stern.

I'd like to think that Red would not have betrayed Stern if Stern had not betrayed him first. But that is JUST a crazy theory, and one I'll keep believing so I can sleep at night. If you did not feel bad for Stern after that money got sucked from the room, you are a monster. He was right about one thing. This WAS his father's legacy, and Red had no right to horn in it. Except Red acknowledges no-one else's rights but his own.

I love that after Glenn has the heart attack and Liz has stolen the penny, she repeatedly asks the EMT's if he needs the aspirin. That was actually clever. She just committed a major crime. And deflected suspicion precisely by drawing far too much attention to herself. I think Liz is pretty dumb at crime if you go by her covering up the murder (at least at first) but that was smart.

Speaking of which, I did love how she fixed it. She used the entire investigation towards her own ends, which is precisely what Red always used to do to her. Can he be mad? Nope, but he's also the only one smart enough to figure out the truth and call her on it. I am impressed Harold believed Red's (true) claims of innocence of taking that evidence at the end. Were I him, I might not have, or at least suspected something larger was going on.

I love that Red warns the nurses on the get-well card that Glenn is a "licentious cad". And he is. Good for Red.

And the ultimate treasure is, of course, Winston Churchill's hat that he wore during the Blitz. I think it looks totally goofy on Red, but he'll take amazing from Liz and like it.

This was pretty much the perfect episode. I was nonstop smiles during the entire thing. *****.

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Blacklist "The Cook"

Let me get this straight. A serial killing arsonist priest who murders women who tempt him lustfully? This show has pretty much the best random villains of the week of any show on television. There are a ton of shows with better villains than this. But none with better one-and-done villains.

Culture snob Red opines that Yoda seems far too short to be effective at swordfighting. The sad thing is, it's true. Somebody as tiny as Yoda being a Jedi master is actually ludicrous. Lucas should be ashamed.

I love that the mother dislikes Red so much. But I really like her.

Navabi is right. Aram is cute. I love Harold being jarred into agreeing with that essentially just to stop things from being even weirder. That is not an opinion he'd ever offer unasked.

One of my favorite things about Red is that he hates lying to Liz, and bends over backwards not to. I cannot imagine another person just straight up telling someone they loved "I have a secret, and I can't tell it to you." They'd lie about it. But he won't do that. Which is refreshing, and also tells me that Liz can at least trust HIM. He would be outright lying to her if she couldn't.

For the record, it's pretty obvious the secret is that he killed Liz's mother. Why else would things have gotten quite so personal on Mr. Kaplan's end last season? Which begs two questions. 1. Can Liz forgive this? Would she even care since she didn't know her mother? 2. How long does Red think he can keep a secret like that? It would probably be less damaging just to tell Liz that specific thing than have her find out on her own. This is what Dembe has been advising recently, and I have yet to see a Blacklist episode where that guy was wrong about anything.

We'll see. The mythology of this show can be all over the map. But their "Blacklisters Of The Week" are always great. ****.

7. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Blacklist "The Invisible Hand"

This episode mostly contained criminals in way over their heads. The stuff with Liz and Oleander and The Invisible Hand stuff didn't interest me too much. But the stuff with Red and Anthony was great.

I love's Red's quip that a person must be extremely confident in their genitals to name themselves Big Willie. I kept wondering why Red was trying to teach this guy good leadership after he accidentally killed the wrong guy. It's because he wants to hire him.

And even if he's technically using Anthony, it not like he didn't pay for the procedure. Anthony is dumb though to get involved with something like that when he has no idea what he's doing. Next thing you know he's looking at severed body parts and puking in the corner.

The notion that the cop investigating Liz for murder being in on Tom's death annoys me. Did they HAVE to make him a bad guy? Liz DID kill a guy and cover it up. I would actually like to see the drama of that played out, but if the cops investigating it are dirty, it's almost as if the murder was justified. And I'm not cool with that.

See you after the Olympics, Red. ***1/2.