The Bat-Embargo has an in-universe explanation?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Juaco VTX7, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Juaco VTX7

Juaco VTX7 New Member

Hi everyone. In this thread I wanted to tell all of you a theory that makes an in-universe explanation for the Bat-Embargo, the reason for which many Batman rogues and allies were omitted from Justice League Unlimited.

The theory states that when the Justice Lords, except Justice Lord Batman, went into the Justice League's Earth in the two-part episode "A Better World", they went to Arkham Asylum and with the heat vision of Justice Lord Superman, they lobotomized all Batman rogues, making them to became nice and harmless. However, the only rogue that they didn't lobotomize was the Joker, who was catatonic after his encounter with Ace in the episode "Wild Cards". Eventually, Joker recovered from his catatonia and the events of Return of the Joker's flashback sequence happened.

If you ask why Harley wasn't lobotomized, the explanation is that she was retired from her crime life as seen in Batman and Harley Quinn, like Poison Ivy, who wasn't lobotomized as she presumably escaped before the Lords could lobotomize her like in their Fascist Earth.

2. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

We don't really need any elaborate in-story explanation. Most of Batman's rogues are costumed criminals looking for a big score or out for personal revenge. With a few exceptions (Ra's al Ghul, Ivy, etc.) they are not super-villains out to rule or change the world.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Juaco VTX7

Juaco VTX7 New Member

But in some way, the theory makes sense?

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think so. The Wild Cards two parter takes place after A Better World, so Joker wouldn't be catatonic by the time the Justice Lords arrived in the Justice League's universe. Plus, I don't see why they'd just target Batman's rouge gallery. It seems like too much of a stretch to provide an in-universe explanation for why they didn't use more of Batman's villains during the series. I don't know if we even needed one given that most of Batman's villains wouldn't require the Justice League to take them down.

5. Juaco VTX7

Juaco VTX7 New Member

Hi Light Lucario. I know that "Wild Cards" takes place after "A Better World", but it could be possible that the events of the former happened before the events of the latter. For example, the episode "Holiday Knights" of The New Batman Adventures takes place after the episode "Growing Pains", as Clayface didn't surprise anyone with his return after his 'death' in the Batman: The Animated Series episode "Mudslide". On the other hand, the Justice League episode "Fury" was aired before "Injustice For All", so The Shade's comments about the events of the latter doesn't make much sense as it appears that the latter happens before the former. With this reason, the theory could be right.

6. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Not to me, but your mileage may vary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I suppose it's possible, but there's no sign within the series that Wild Cards could have taken place before A Better World. There's no line about how Batman's rouge gallery didn't show up or how the Joker was still catatonic, so it still feels like a pretty big stretch to me.

8. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Hm, nah.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

9. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Yeah, I think I actually prefer this to an in story explanation.

10. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

While I can appreciate your theory, I feel that placing "Wild Cards" before "A Better World" doesn't work for continuity due to the Green Lantern/Hawkgirl romance.

While there's nothing explicitly stated one way or the other about the status of their relationship in ABW, that story was clearly written as a stepping stone toward their ultimate hook-up in WC.

Toddman

11. Juaco VTX7

Juaco VTX7 New Member

Well yeah, your statement makes sense. However, it could be also possible that they had a little fight off screen after "WC". But your statement must be correct.