"The 53rd Grammy Awards" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by The Penguin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

E! and TV Guide Network are on the red carpet now and the 53rd annual Grammy Awards start tonight at 8 p.m. ET on CBS.

[​IMG]
    The 53rd Grammy Awards
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on CBS
    Current GRAMMY® nominees Drake and Rihanna will perform together, and Cee Lo Green will be joined by Academy Award® winner Gwyneth Paltrow and the Jim Henson Company Puppets in a once-in-a-lifetime performance as the latest additions to the superstar line-up for THE 53rd ANNUAL GRAMMY® AWARDS broadcasting live from the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011 (8:00-11:30 PM, ET/delayed PT) on the CBS Television Network. They join previously announced performers and nominees Arcade Fire, Eminem, Lady Antebellum, Lady Gaga, Miranda Lambert, Muse, and Katy Perry; nominees Justin Bieber and Usher, with Jaden Smith; and nominees B.o.B, Bruno Mars, and Janelle Monáe.

Mick Jagger, will make his first-ever live appearance on the GRAMMY stage, Jagger will be accompanied by soul singer Saadiq and his band in honor one of his longtime idols, recently deceased GRAMMY winner Solomon Burke. Jagger has appeared only once before on the GRAMMY telecast (with the Rolling Stones), via satellite from London during "The 28th Annual GRAMMY Awards" in 1986, when Eric Clapton presented the Stones with The Recording Academy Lifetime Achievement Award.

Presenters include current three-time GRAMMY nominee Dierks Bentley, nine-time GRAMMY winner and current nominee Norah Jones, singer/actor Selena Gomez, two-time GRAMMY winner and actor LL COOL J, current nominee Nicki Minaj and current nominee Blake Shelton.

Celebrating music through the GRAMMY Awards for more than 50 years, The Recording Academy continues its rich legacy and ongoing growth as the premier outlet for honoring achievements in the recording arts and supporting the music community.

The GRAMMYs are the only peer-presented award to honor artistic achievement, technical proficiency and overall excellence in the recording industry, without regard to album sales or chart position.

As we move ahead in an ever-changing music environment, The Recording Academy looks forward to the new opportunities of a growing organization. Over the last decade particularly, the Academy has expanded its goals from the important work of recognizing the best in music through the GRAMMY Awards to establishing itself as the preeminent arts advocacy and outreach organization in the country. The Academy's mission statement is simple, but represents the heart and soul of the organization's efforts: to positively impact the lives of musicians, industry members and our society at large.

The Academy can be proud of its accomplishments on behalf of its constituency. Through the efforts of the volunteer leadership and the capable professional staff, the music community, music lovers and inheritors of America's great cultural legacy are reaping the benefit. - CBS.com

Grammy.com/Nominees

Grammy.com
    CBS.com - Grammys

2. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Watching the red carpet arrivals on E!. Lady Gaga just arrive inside an incubator cocoon shaped like an egg. I love her :D.

3. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No Ronnie James Dio tribute?

Typical. There goes the only reason I'd consider watching the thing.

4. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

I don't know who you're talking about but I would have done something for Demi Lovato such as wishing her best wishes with her appearing on stage with a loud applause waiting for her.

I don't even have the TV on really. I don't know if I'm watching this but hey, this weekend's one full of Bieber Fever so we'll probably Justin walk away with a Grammy or two. If not, there's still the Kids' and Teen Choice Awards next month (maybe April for the KCA) and late Summer.

5. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

He was a member of Rainbow and his own band Dio, as well as Ozzy's temporary replacement in Black Sabbath, and popularized the moloch hand gesture in metal. He died last year of stomach cancer.

6. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

I'm sorry about what happened. I didn't know anything about him seeing that I never got into modern rock until early-2000. I've never heard of anything from Black Sabbath before I don't think but reading about this makes me wish that I could see him play similar to wishing that I saw Michael Jackson before his passing.

Any guesses on who will win the Grammys?

7. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

Lady GaGa arrived to the Grammy's inside of an egg. Interesting...

8. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

It's for her performance of her latest single later tonight.

Thoughts on the Show So Far...

I liked the 'Tribute to Aretha Franklin'even if I've never heard of one out of the five women on stage.

Train winning the first Grammy is ridiculous. I would have voted for Paramore or the Glee Cast.

Now Gaga's egg has been hatched. I'm still not keen on her looking like she's sunny side up.

#8 NewcomerDC, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
  9. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I never paid a whole lot of attention to Lady GaGa before and have never seen her perform live, but now that I'm seeing her I can officially say that, "damn, she has a nice figure going for herself."

10. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

The Super Bowl needs to get her to perform. People may disagree with how wacky she is, but my god would she have been ten times better than the Black Eyed Peas.

11. Urusei Yatsura

Urusei Yatsura The Revolutionist

I love Lady Gaga... It's easy to dislike her if you're looking from the outside, but I've been following her for a long time and I've seen many interviews, etc. and I really think she has a whole lot going for her.. Her 17-track album comes out in May :)

Anyways, so far so good. I liked the Aretha tribute at the beginning.

12. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

She does have a lot of talent and didn't need any auto-tuning to assist her.

13. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Gaga's another nipple slip waiting to happen, though.

Sure, Fergie could have been one too possibly, but her clothing is very tame compared to Gaga's and not as likely. In fact, if anything, Lady Gaga will probably try to dress up to make that happen.

14. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Gaga's performance was nice, but I guess I was expecting something a little more theatrical and controversial. Okay, singing a song about how gay people are "Born This Way" dressed in condom latex will mightily upset a certain segment of people, of course, but for those of us who are already on her side there's not much to shock or titillate. The song, also, is nice and well-meaning but not as catchy.

As for nipple slips, at first I though Gaga wasn't wearing anything under the latex, giving more ammo to the PTC. But at the end I could see there was a large and conservative pasty under there. Actually a little disappointing.

Liked Muse's performance. Didn't expect them to go so overtly political, and really didn't expect it to incorporate a picture of Prince Charles being menaced in that demonstration recently.

15. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Lady Gaga's performance was one big Madonna tribute, from the song being an almost complete clone of "Express Yourself" to the way she wore her hair. Not to mention her doing the vogue.

I'll admit that Gaga has some good songs, but that isn't a performance that I would defend.

Skipped Miranda Lambert, but Muse's was pretty boring for such an effects-laden stunt. I do like "Uprising" though.

16. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

Yeah, Gaga probably won't ever get the call because of the nip-slip possibility, but eh. Still would have been a better performance.

As far as Muse goes.. always love watching them perform.

17. Shawn Hopkins

Wow. I really like that retro interpretation of Bruno Mars "Grenade," but hot damn, Janelle Monae's "Cold War" performance was amazing. So awesome.

I doubt Gaga would stoop to something so dull, obvious, and frankly -done- as nudity if she was booked on the Superbowl. But she'd certainly take the opportunity to do something shocking and controversial. I'd like to see it.

18. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Lady Gaga wins for Best Pop Album. Not surprised.

19. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

I wish that Lady Gaga didn't take so long with her acceptance speech. With the music was trying to drown out her voice, it was her time to go. I think most of the winners next year need to be told ahead of time about how much time they'll be given with their acceptance speeches.

What did everyone think of Bieber's performance with Jaden Smith and Usher? Perfect way to end this 'Bieber Fever' weekend in my opinion.

20. Shawn Hopkins

Gaga's acceptance outfit, pretty wild. Like a crazy beetle thing. She must have cursed, too, they hit her with the five second delay at the beginning.

Have you never watched an award show before, Newcomer? Everyone knows how long they have and they always go long. Gaga wasn't the only to be excessive and get played off this show. It's just a thing, the way this goes.

This has been a very Will Smith Grammies for some reason. They keep showing him, and one of his kids was on there. Wouldn't it be great to have Will Smith as a dad? You just say you want to be on the Grammies, and you're there dancing with Justin Bieber.