"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 17 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Yeah, I remembering seeing Charile's Angels back in my High School days. Did enjoy the film, then. Now? This movie is just an embarrassment.

2. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

3. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

I think the fundamental problem w/ Charlie's Angels is that it seems to have no real idea whom it's marketed to (in a way, it's sort of like the Wild, Wild West movie that Lindsay also reviewed). Is it supposed to appeal to fans of the original TV series (Lindsay made an interesting point that the Angels on the TV series weren't always blindly devoted to Charlie)? I don't know if it was trying to be a post-modern parody like the Brady Bunch, Dragnet, and Starsky & Hutch movies. I don't know if it wants to be the all female version of Mission: Impossible.

Charlie's Angels just seems like one of those movies, where the actors obviously had more fun making it than the audience had watching it. For what ever the reasons, I always viewed it as a smarmy, glorified vanity project for Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz. And I agree w/ the assessment that you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't make this look like some sort of feminist statement about women (in that respect, I'm going to go back to my statement in regards to asking about who this movie is supposed to be marketed too) being able to take charge and "play w/ the big boys" while at the same time dress like they're more at home in a Britney Spears music video (the movie is really an expensive excuse to get the three Angels to "play dress up" in order to "pander" to horny, red blooded males, who might otherwise right this off as a "chick flick")! It doesn't help that you have a certified hack like McG directing. There's no subtlety at all or anything at its core (it's all visual) in this movie.

#583 TMC1982, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  4. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Chill. It's only an opinion.

Her very negative review on it was surprising to me, because I've mostly seen that people like it as a typical mindless action flick. Rarely have I come across anyone that really hates it as much, or in this case even more than I do. I saw it when it came out on video and I thought it was terrible despite being a teenage hetero male - you'd think it was practically catered to my demographic. But, then again, they couldn't really grab me on the sex tease gimmick because I had already discovered the joys of the internet, and I was mostly watching it for Bill Murray who obviously was completely underused and uninteresting in it.

I wonder if she'll ever do a follow-up review for the recent, and quickly canceled, Charlie's Angels series which was even worse than the movies.

5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Maybe if Nostalgia Chick ever does a review about the sequel of the Charlie's Angels movie (which she admits she's thinking about) but otherwise no. SInce I'm pretty sure Lindsey tries to stick to the Nostalgia point of it and not the new adapation of something she probably hasn't even seen. Like not mentioning the Men in Black TV series in the Men in Black review. Also this review works more if you've seen Lindsey's twitter feed and her responses and annoyances towards people who are critiquing her videos and appearences in say To Boldly Flee not on her acting or delievery but on her attire and appearence. So yeah obviously she's trying to play off that by saying feminism is dead and though it doesn't come off as well as it could (there should of been more banter with Nella and Elisa as that was the best part here) I thought it was a decent review at least. I never saw much of the original Charlie's Angels (in fact I first heard of them when Alvin and the Chipmunks did a parody of them with the Chipettes in an episode) and only saw the Music Video for the 2000 movie (which I kind of like but then again I'm a Beyonce/Destiny's Child fan) though I did see the reboot series last year and... yeah that wasn't good. Maybe some of the action for a TV series was okay but the writing and acting and actually making me care about the characters was so lacking. Seemed at least better then this movie in trying to make the concept work at least.

And now my thoughts on the third part of To Boldly Flee.

There are only two low points of this one that I have. One is a very very minor one of CR being surprised of 8 Bit Mickey liking My Little Pony. Since CR is also a huge time brony and should either know that or should of had a "oh yeah me too" moment. And the other is something they didn't do and not add Phelous to the whole love traingle. And instead have it that Lupa can't be with Todd and Todd is annoyed by Chick. Which is fine and I guess Phelous has his own plot but really couldn't there have been some mention of it? Like a really quick "besides I'm dating Phelous now so I wouldn't be interested in you anyway" sort of thing? I don't know that's just something that felt like it really should of been included and sadly wasn't for... I don't know what reason. But still those are some fairly minor gripes as I did really like a lot of htis one.

One great thing is how it seems they're introducing the idea of characters RPing. Again not all happening at once and just being there as some sort of excuse to have it, but rather it serving the purpose of the plot. Like CR and JO (heh that should of been a joke or mention as well of the two of them having letters for names.... eh might of been too hard to make a joke out of just my own little observation) having these instructions beamed to them by the mysterious masked man (Is that going to be Oancitizen or someone else since thinking about it he hasn't appeared in this special yet and he's kind of overdue) and the overload changing them (More JO now but I have a feeling it will happen more with CR later) and Nostalgia Chick finding out about Mechkara and being transformed. I also like the idea of Mechkara working with Terl to get the secrets of Malachite hand because that really works with his character considering how he joined with Lord Vyce to try and defeat Linkara. Also does connect him more to the other villians which hey if we all wanted an evil villians of TGWTG movie that's what should happen anyway. I also like the plotlines introduced of how Lupa points out Todd's own insecurity and Todd pointing out the Chick's obsession for a project, and even Snob and Luke having a good bonding moment. I doubt this will tie into the Cinema snob movie but the Snob always felt like a critic who was more forced to be in the profession (and Brad has admitted he was kind of forced to review the exploiation movies) so I can see him being more in doubt of reviewers dying. And hey nice to see that as it's own issue as well: how much longers can reviewers go on before people stop watching their stuff?

And yeah there were a lot of great lines here and since there weren't really any groaners I think this is probably the funniest part. From Paw deciding now that they're in space to do a Vlog (hey TGWTG contributors have done Vlogs for far, far less) JewWario and the Takei book (though I hope there's more to him then that in this special since even DBZ Abridged kind of overdid that "oh myyyyyyyy" joke), JO adjusting CR's visor to work better then reuglar sight, everyone unifying hatred for Michael Bay, the critic shifting back and forth in sleep and changing the oxygen settings, Terl and Zod's constant bickering, JO throwing a plasma grenade at Sage (considering their history it makes the joke a lot funnier), everyone thinking that Linkara and Nostalgia Chick had sex and their attitude just being a result of that (I heard that N.Chick's new character was originally going to be called sixty of nine but I'm glad she got them to go with seven of eleven. Works better and really there were already a bunch of sex jokes there anyway no need to pile down more), "Did you even go to school" and NC's response to that to Marzgurl, Phelous wanting to be called leader (this is the kind of out of nowhere character development that works since it's with Phelous who is known even in his reviews for his kind of random shifts so it does work here) and him arguing Star Trek logic with Paw, Sad Panda being called a doctor since he watches a lot of Doctor Who, "I thought you said he was dead" "He's dead to me and so are you" and Spoony thinking he's blind when he just needed to open his eyes. All great bits and really makes me really think this is the best so far of this special. Which is good since Part 3 of Kickassia and Suburban Knights were some of the weaker parts so maybe this time the groaners were more at the beginning and the best stuff is later on so yeah hope that winds up being true so we have more great parts like this.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I finally got a chance to see Boldly Flee part three and I thought it was okay. It felt like there was more buildup than anything else, but there were still some funny moments like Terl's interactions with Zed, JO becoming Edward from Cowboy Bebop and people thinking that Nostalgia Chick and Linkara got together when she was transformed into a cyborg or something. The dramatic tension in some of the scenes worked really nicely too.

7. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

8. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I guess it makes sense that in the special that is the longest, it would also take the longest to get to an action scene. Which you would think based off the cliffhanger of the last episode that it would be more of a space ship battle but I guess I'm not surprised it isn't. Not only are there only can you make so many jokes but also probably very limited to the budget. But I'm not bothered by that. Again I've only got some very minor complaints. Like for instance, why say Phelous keeps coming back due to being a redshirt? How about just saying that Phelous keeps coming back due to him constantly just dying on his show and reviving. Yeah I guess by that same token NC has done the same thing but considering that was a big element of Phelous's running gag in his show would of worked more. Also another minor nitpick but if you're going to make fun of movies where henchmen or commanders easily have a chance to shoot someone and don't, you shouldn't do it so much yourselves what with all the teleportal mishaps and all the goons on the planet who could of easily shot at critic. Then again, from one of Diamanda Hagan's video these are suppose to be minions and those are always just terrible shots so yeah guess I'm not too surprised.

So anyway of the four parts so far, this was probably the one with the least amount of moving plot. Which makes sense since it was the action piece and you know as action goes this actually worked really well. Much better then the fights in Suburban Knights since there seemed like a lot more clear distinction on making actual progress and working in a good amount of jokes in the mix. Besides the bits of plot we got were good such as "Seven of Eleven" and Mechakara doing something (probably sending some sort of code to Terl and Zod), Marzgurl taking leadership and yeah the Snob being captured as Zod and Terl get away. Plus I like the idea that the whole "Critic as Judge Dredd" was his battle armor so again more of a reason to actually use it. And I have to say the music track used for this was really good. I think that might of been Skitch (could be protracks) but whoever did that hat's up as that was really adralaine pumping music to put in that spot. And hey more of that mysterious helmted man which hey may be Ma-Ti... in fact probably is Ma-Ti unless The critic's got a really good twist going on.

And yeah though kind of a bit slow in the first minute there were a lot of great jokes here. Like Zod and Terl pretending to be Rachel Ray and Oprah (maybe it would of been a bit too over people's head but part of me thinks it would of been funnier to say they were from Reviewtopia and no one knowing what the hell that meant), Phelous constantly moaning in pain and then just coming back on the ship (though his "death" went on a bit too long and the other constant deaths were a bit too much, even for Phelous), JO calling Paw Pawpaw (though I hope the testing the weapons gag was just used on this part as bringing it to other parts would be a bit grating), "does he look supcisious to you?" "Nah, he's always worn that hat", Joe coming aboard to shoot the tacticial officer and then coming back, Terl and Zod bickering on the purpose of only one tacticial officer, The Critic using the distraction of thinking he was beamed aboard to shoot one of the goons, Benzaie being the french instruction manual guide and doing the Benzaie Song and dance, Terl beaming in only to get nearly shot at (that was a great runner) and "I really hate sci-fis". Overall a nice tense action packed part though I hope some others get into the action in the upcoming parts and we have some more character bits as this one was a bit too Critic focused compared to the last one but hey it was still good.

9. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

And JesuOtaku's got her review of Madoka Magica up.

Very good review even if it goes too far out of it's way to not spoil anything in the show.

10. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Gamest in the Land
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Darn, I was going to post JesuOtaku's latest review, ha ha. I love Madoka Magica. Glad she likes it, too. But yes, agreed; it is impressive she managed to make a compelling 20 minute video without diving into spoilers. Now if only the DVDs price would drop so I can snag them up.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that the latest installment of Boldly Flee was pretty good. I enjoyed Zod and Terl pretending to the Rachael Ray and Opera, the Nostalgia Critic liking the crazy JO, Marzgurl taking charge of the ship, the NC thinking that he was going to be beamed up during the fight, that whole bit with Zod and Terl trying to figure out that video in French and Terl coming to the ship only to be almost shot. I definitely agree that Phelous' death scene went on way too long and wasn't really funny at any point afterwards. The battle went on a bit too long near the end, but it was still a pretty fun installment.

I thought that JO's review on Madoka Magica was really good. Creating a review for a show without any spoilers was impressive. Because of that review, the taglines for the two DVD reviews on this site and the constant praise I've heard for the series, I finally started to give it a watch. I would buy the DVDs, but they're way too expensive for my blood, but at least the series is still on Crunchyroll. I've only seen the first episode so far, but it was really good and I'm curious to see the rest of it, especially when most of the images during JO's review really caught my attention.

12. Neo Yi

Ooh, I hope you enjoy it, LL. I don't really watch a whole lot of anime, but Madoka Magica may be my absolute favorite right now. I must have rewatch that series so many times in a short span because I can't get enough of it. Granted, I'm of the mind the trilogy movie is a bit pointless (the two are nothing but a giant summary of the series and the third is a sequel when I feel - without spoiling - the show doesn't necessary need one), but I know I'm going to be all over that! That's how much it snagged me. XD

13. Vegard Aune

Vegard Aune Member

Yeah, the price for the home-release was quite painful...
    That being said, I pre-ordered all three combo-packs the instant they went up on TRSI because 1: I just love the show that much, and 2: SOUNDTRACKS. Really, the fact that the LEs were the only way to get the soundtrack was my main reason for choosing those over the slightly-less-bankruptingly-overpriced regular BluRay-sets...
    And then later I saw that there was a note on the product pages that said that the sets couldn't be shipped outside the US... yet I received all three anyway. Strange, but I'm obviously not complaining.

And yeah, I think the movies seem rather unnecessary as well. I am excited about the new Kalafina song that will apparently be the ending theme for the second film though, but I think the idea of trying to do a compressed retelling of a series which, in my opinion, is practically the ultimate example of a show that was exactly as long as it needed to be, seems kinda doomed to be inferior to the original. And yeah. Sequel: Completely and utterly not needed.

14. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

How much does she not spoil it? I'm afraid to watch JO's review before I see the series itself. Would that be a good idea?

15. Neo Yi

Honestly, you're good either way, Peter. She does a bang up job avoiding spoilers and major plot twists. A good half of her review has her talking about the themes of tragedy that is an underlining tone carried throughout Madoka Magica. She does show off footage from latter episodes during the review, but they're all out of context that there's no way you'll know what it means unless you've seen the show or somehow psychic.

EDIT: Rewatched the review again and hmm, she does show some footage that may be best if you watched the anime first. It's still out of context, but if you're shooting for blind, you might either take JesuOtaku's advice and hear her review with your eyes closed or just watch the whole thing in Crunchyroll.

16. getbackinyourtac

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've only seen the first four episodes now, but so far, it's a solid series and I'm really enjoying it. I'm so glad that the review was able to avoid spoilers, especially when there were a couple of twists in the first few episodes that I didn't see coming, and I can definitely see the appeal of the show so far. The movies sound potentially interesting, although I'm not close to the point to decide how I feel about a sequel, but I'll most likely check those movies out when they are released as well.

18. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Todd's got a new review- "Whistle" by Flo-Rida

There's a certain Dr. Horrible line I feel is appropriate here, but may not exactly be "safe" enough for the site. If you've seen it, hopefully you know which one I'm referring to.

19. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

To Boldly Flee part 5 is up!

I'm not sure if it's stranger or better. This is much more serialized than Kickassia and SK in way that it's impossible to make any sort of real opinionated statement until it's all over. I just... sure as hell hope that whatever is ahead is worth all this flippin buildup.

20. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Huh, who'da'thunk Todd is a Robo Vampire Fan. :p

Sad Panda was stealing the show then Spoony beat-out Benzaie for most skin in a video. Strike up the Toto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.