"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 14 (Warning Strong Language)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

He's The Nostalgia Critic: He remembers it so we don't have to!

He does it all. Reviews crappy movies, shows and specials (even if they're good, decent, so-so) usually from the 80's/90's, dresses up like a bum to talk about the latest movies, puts on a fancy robe and gives perverted answers to various questions, reveals the secret life of famous video game characters, reveals pirate tips and many many more things.

Then of course we have other entertainers such as The Nostalgia Chick who reviews bad shows/movies for the female demograph since the Critic is well a man. Trying to give more information and style over just snarkiness, The Chick (usually joined by BFF Nella) dosen't put out as much content as the critic but it stiil knows how to get people talking.

There are various other contributors worth paying attention to, like:

CR: A geek gives info on quite obscure shows/movies characters that you may or may not of ever heard of, even if they were in one of your favorite franchises.

Film Brain: A British fellow (not to be confused with the host of Shameful Sequals MikeJ) that also goes over movies, that aren't nostalgiac but still crap filled heaps he gives the old Bad Movie Beatdown to.

Paw: One of the various music critics on the cite. After coming Full Circle he went on to talk about other music games, and now talks about music movies and the history of a King's Quest.

Phelous: The Sarcastic Monotone Canadian who goes over the worst horror flicks imaginable. Had a tendencey to die at the end of every review but he's better now, or is he?

Brad Jones: As the Cinema Snob he goves over Exploitaion and Z-Grade flicks you've probably never heard of. His other shows include him trying weird foods and drinks, how to execute moves seen in various kung fu movies, going over the filmography of Bruno Mattei, and even covering the history of VHS "Big Boxes" with a busty assistant (who happens to be played by his wife).

Obscurus Lupa: A female critic chick who goves over Z+ Grade Movies, terrible episodes of good shows and dubbing over cheesy trailers.

Todd In The Shadows: A shadowed figure who takes a look at the current pop songs on the radio and breaks down how horrible they are.

Nash: Host of What The *uck Is Frong With You, that goes over idiotic people involved in actual recent news.

Marzgurl: A runner up for the Nostalgia Chick who mostly looks at the latest anime news from the overseas or just over here.

JesuOtaku: A young lass who goes over various anime and grades them by various criteria to see how they fare.

Ed Glaser: Creator of the Pressed Start series (which includes a live action movie and upcoming sequal as well as various animated shorts) plus Deja View, which goves over various remakesploation ficks.

And of course many many more.

Disclaimer: It's important to note that the videos are for satire purpose thus not a full out complaint.

Those videos and more can be found on thatguywiththeglasses.com. You may also go to blisteredthumbs.net (a spinoff site of thatguywiththeglasses made up of various contributors from TGWTG and new fresh faces) which features the latest news on video games, as well as various reviews of the newest, oldest, most popular and even most obscure games and gaming devices around."

Related Threads:
    - Previous Talkback

- Linkara's Atop The Fourth Wall Talkback

Credit for show summaries provided by Neo Ultra Mike.

#1 Antiyonder, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
  2. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Okay Antiyonder, you SERIOUSLY need to update the first post explanation for the Nostalgia Criitc. Quite frankly, it was old and out of date last year and in 2011 it just won't do. I would go with something more like this.

He's The Nostalgia Critic: He remembers it so we don't have to!

He does it all. Reviews crappy movies, shows and specials (even if they're good, decent, so-so) usually from the 80's/90's, dresses up like a bum to talk about the latest movies, puts on a fancy robe and gives perverted answers to various questions, reveals the secret life of famous video game characters, reveals pirate tips and many many more things.

Then of course we have other entertainers such as The Nostalgia Chick who reviews bad shows/movies for the female demograph since the Critic is well a man. Trying to give more information and style over just snarkiness, The Chick (usually joined by BFF Nella) dosen't put out as much content as the critic but it stiil knows how to get people talking.

There are various other contributors worth paying attention to, like:

CR: A geek gives info on quite obscure shows/movies characters that you may or may not of ever heard of, even if they were in one of your favorite franchises.

Film Brain: A British fellow (not to be confused with the host of Shameful Sequals MikeJ) that also goes over movies, that aren't nostalgiac but still crap filled heaps he gives the old Bad Movie Beatdown to.

Paw: One of the various music critics on the cite. After coming Full Circle he went on to talk about other music games, and now talks about music movies and the history of a King's Quest.

Phelous: The Sarcastic Monotone Canadian who goes over the worst horror flicks imaginable. Had a tendencey to die at the end of every review but he's better now, or is he?

Brad Jones: As the Cinema Snob he goves over Exploitaion and Z-Grade flicks you've probably never heard of. His other shows include him trying weird foods and drinks, how to execute moves seen in various kung fu movies, going over the filmography of Bruno Mattei, and even covering the history of VHS "Big Boxes" with a busty assistant (who happens to be played by his wife).

Obscurus Lupa: A female critic chick who goves over Z+ Grade Movies, terrible episodes of good shows and dubbing over cheesy trailers.

Todd In The Shadows: A shadowed figure who takes a look at the current pop songs on the radio and breaks down how horrible they are.

Nash: Host of What The *uck Is Frong With You, that goes over idiotic people involved in actual recent news.

Marzgurl: A runner up for the Nostalgia Chick who mostly looks at the latest anime news from the overseas or just over here.

JesuOtaku: A young lass who goes over various anime and grades them by various criteria to see how they fare.

Ed Glaser: Creator of the Pressed Start series (which includes a live action movie and upcoming sequal as well as various animated shorts) plus Deja View, which goves over various remakesploation ficks.

And of course many many more.

Disclaimer: It's important to note that the videos are for satire purpose thus not a full out complaint.

Those videos and more can be found on thatguywiththeglasses.com. You may also go to blisteredthumbs.net (a spinoff site of thatguywiththeglasses made up of various contributors from TGWTG and new fresh faces) which features the latest news on video games, as well as various reviews of the newest, oldest, most popular and even most obscure games and gaming devices around."

Obviously you don't have to use this if you don't want to but I think it'd be better then just using that same outdated intro over and over again.

4. CR!

CR! New Member

Hey Everybody,

Dropping off my 50th episode , in keeping with the Superbowl aftermath.

As for current events in teh world of TGWTG: I can tell you right now I respect Doug's movie list and can appreciate his opinion. Hell I get enough flack for hating the Dark Knight which, following Doug's thoery, was written around a handfull of really good speeches.

But i have to put this out a few things out there:

Matilda is like a Bros. Grimm fairy tale set in modern day with modern conventions.

The reason Pixar used cars instead of people is the age old practice of personifacation. You can project certian triats and personalities on certian cars. I personally always loved the way the jeep and the van interacted in the morning.

As for the story, It's about what happens when you go throw life at top speed, a metaphor you can illistrate with...say it with me now...cars . Speed got there by mistake, but the girl car (can't remeber her name at the moment) basicly admited to having a mental brake down because of her fast pace life.

Can't argue with the rest of his list.

5. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

Believe me. I've always wanted to modify it, but I wasn't informed enough on the themes of some of the characters. But I will edit your info in just a bit, so thanks for the great descriptions.

6. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Wow, I remember this show! Boy was it dark and gory, and awesome. Or at least when I was a kid.

Ok review, entertaining and enjoyable.

7. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Great job. Your explanation really does read like it was written by a member of TGWTG. I would love to see this as the post explanation, although maybe swap someone with Linkara.

8. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Linkara has his own talkback in the Comic Culture board. Plus, his link is there.

9. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Don't forget Spoony.

10. Drifballoon

Drifballoon BLODIA!

11. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

With NC's #10: With all of the characters, of course they weren't used to their full potential because they were shoe horned to please the fan boys. I don't remember if Ursula was in the comic book series but I know Peter and Betty dated for a bit but broke up because she didn't want to date someone younger than her. We all know about what happened to Dr. Connors in Sam Raimi's trilogy and it's a shame that he won't be in the remake. I would, however, give Dylan Baker a cameo. It's the least I would have done for a guy who was going to play a major character then have the opportunity yanked from under him. I also have to agree about Jamesons' son in Spider-Man II. I think that he would have been great as Venom but hey Eddie Brock would have to fit in somewhere despite Raimi not wanting the character to be in the third film. Even if his version of Spider-Man III would go on to be hated, I think that it wouldn't have been hated or seen more as a comedy than a straight-up action flick with some funny moments here and there like the one we have now.

So far, I like how NC's not afraid of stepping into more films that were released in the first decade of the 2000's. Sure he's done it before but I believe that he'll mix those with other films he haven't reviewed from the '80s and '90s. I think that the episode should have covered the animated series in all of its incarnations and, with Linkara's help, there could have been mentions of some silly events that occurred in the comics. I'll have to watch the rest of the video but so far, it's pretty good.

#11 NewcomerDC, Feb 8, 2011
  12. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Well the closest thing right now in modern games to Mutant League is Blood Bowl (which is based on a long time Games Workshop table top game).

There was also a show based on Mechwarrior around the same time (well FASA license), and two shows based on Heavy Gear (Dream Pod 9) a few years later.

Some else remembers Monsters... well the episode about the genetically engineered miner was good.

#12 Anyone00, Feb 8, 2011
  13. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

Yeah, Spidey movies has some really... nitpicky stuff.

I've always wondered how 3 would look like had there been little executive meddling.

14. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

I think Doug hit it right on the head...Spidey 3, for all it's silliness, character overload and excesses, is really no goofier than the two films that preceeded it. It's a disappointing film, but far from the level of genuine superhero sequel atrocities like Superman IV: The Quest For Peace and Batman & Robin. I even prefer it to last summer's Iron Man 2 (at least there was some actual action in Spidey 3 :shrug:). I suppose rebooting the franchise was inevitable even had the third film been better (Maguire and Dunst aren't getting any younger), but I stubbornly profess to liking a lot of Spidey 3 (everything involving the Sandman character was very good, and I wish the film had centered on him entirely). Even the "emo Peter" stuff I sorta liked. It's very silly, but it's a SAM RAIMI film, for goodnesses' sake. No one was complaining about all of the Three Stooges physical schtick in the Evil Dead movies.

15. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Holy crap! They actually got away with characters being ripped apart and pussing out goo like that in a 90's kids cartoon? Okay yeah they were mutants and they did have revival chambers but that's still pretty impressive, espiecally for something based off of a video game. Too bad they couldn't have a good video game based movie even off the cartoon version of the show. Yeah I think it was common in the 80's and 90's for movies based off of kids shows sometimes (espeically by not to highly budgeted companies) to sometimes have "movies" that were really just episodes of the show. For example the She-Ra intro movie was just the first 5 episodes of her show. But stiching together several episodes and calling it a movie... dosen't make a movie, espeically when you have to mix and match the actual epiosdes around. Anyway this was good video though I do like the Familar Faces that are more about a specific character then about a more unknown show. Actually that reminds me of this.

http://thereviewerreport.blip.tv/file/4731551/

This is from an episode of TGWTG, a show that takes various bits from a week of TGWTG updates and mocks them in entertaining ways. The current episode has an interview from CR! where he admits that what some people consider to be obscured characters aren't what he would consider overlooked and try to dial down some of the obscurity sometimes. I mean I do like these episodes that go after shows you probably don't know or (though to be fair I did see that stupid Shisagee show when it aired on Kablam which was Familar Face 49) but the formula IMHO works best when it focuses on a specific character that still allows you to talk about the show as a whole. Then again I don't think there was an obscure character form a football show or show related to football that would of merited enough talking about to count so understandable why you went with this.

I did forget Spoony which was a very stupid oversight on my part. Actually I was going to originally include him but first wanted to include various other members of TGWTG under "Team TGWTG" and "Inked Reality". I also probably should of covered some of the more famous Video Game members (like Lee and Angry Joe) but since we don't really talk much about them here I just decided to mention Blistered Thumbs. Unfouratnley when doing the others I forgot to do Spoony since he fell under Blistered Thumbs so yeah, my bad. Thanks for liking my update guys and thanks Antiyonder for posting it up. I was just getting sick of seeing the same one being used (espiecally the line used for Marzgurl) and wanted to see it changed up after two years.

Thanks for keeping it vague Drifballoon. I think people should click the link and see what it is rather then being told off the bat about it. I also think it's fine to talk about in the posts after it's posted but if we still want to keep it secret I can do that espiecally since I feel like I'm going to go on a long rant about this one.

Unlike the Superman films which I only heard about and only ever saw Superman Returns fully, I did actually watch all the Spiderman movies. Hell I own Spiderman II and have watched all the best parts of Spiderman III over and over at work several times. I was wondering how Doug was going to do this since there were only three movies to go after and thought he may delve into other stupid Spiderman moments, but I think it works better just talking about the movies. I mean yeah the series and comics had off moments but if we want to hear someone rant about the terrors Spiderman faces in the comics, we should just stick to Linkara or even the Last Angry Geek. As for the show I don't know how much Doug has watched of it (though there is something I noted in one of his comments) but that probably deserves a whole other list or something. Stick to the movies here since there is quite a lot of ground to cover. I also like how he admitted he didn't think Spiderman III was that bad. It's kind of a toss for me since I felt Spiderman III was more livley then Spiderman II and though it had some bad moments there were still a lot of enjoyable ones, and think it gets more of a bad rap then it deserves. So let's go over the moments shall we?

11. Yeah I actually remember the whole story of why there was no bank chase scene in the first movie due to what happened with 9/11. I never connected that as being the actual scene of Spiderman's introduction as a masked crime fighter though but I feel it makes sense. Still that does seem rather nitpicky since the flag's only there for 3 seconds in Spiderman III. Okay yeah it's a very very obvious shot but it goes by really too quick to care about. In fact James Rolfe actaully commented on this when he first saw Spiderman 3. "how has that become a prime topic of discussion for everyone ripping this movie to shreds?" And even if NC isn't doing it to shreds it's still just a shot. I mean that'd be like complaining on a three second joke or camera angle in a review or something which would just be silly.

10. More then any other comic book I've seen, the actual backstory and interactions of just the normal regular non super powered characters of the Spiderman mythos is most known. Yeah there are some very well done and developed and intruging characters who don't have powers in Batman, Superman or the X-Men's world but there aren't nearly as many of them to play with in the lead principal cast. Which is why when you adapt a Spiderman movie you do feel the urge to try using them even if they aren't for really big roles. I don't know why he was ragging on Betty Brant since she just did her role in the Bugel like for the most part in the comics (isn't that like complaining about Ted Raimi or Robbie's inclusion in the movies) but I can see his point on John Jamenson. In the shows and the comics that dealt with the Symboite we actually did get to see John go into space and be in danger on his mission that was never ever shown in the movie at all as the symobotie just happened to crash down right where Peter was. Then again the 90's Spiderman show seemed to use John more as a way to make Jonah look more sympathetic then as a true character. I think we really only got that in Spectacular Spiderman series where he actually felt like he had a presence. I do think he could of made for an intersting Venom but in truth there has to be more of a desperation and a loss for Venom to work the way he does that John Jamenson's character couldn't pull off unless you retooled him. Besides you really do have to go with Eddie Brock being Venom first if you want to follow Spidey Mythos propelry. It'd be like having someone else besides Harry take on the mantle of the Green Goblin after Norman.

As for Gwen Stacey yeah I'm pretty sure Mary Jane Watson was much more popular at the time of the original production of the Spiderman Movie which is why they went with her as the main love romance (also I guess they felt if they went with Gwen she'd have to die at the hands of the Goblin ala the Death of Gwen Stacey). She did feel added on to make another love angle really which feels like a deteriment to her character. Once again besides the comics, the only thing that's gotten Gwen Stacey right was Spectacular Spiderman which made her for once Pete's main girl (and actually kept playing with the romantic angles more while here it was kind of obvious who would wind up getting together at the end).

9. Yeah this was something I did notice when rewatching Spiderman II. Espiecally in the scene in the subway car when they're all helping Peter back into the car and they're expressing their shock about him being Spiderman. (I think Todd mentioned that as a sort of stupid scene in his Hannah Montanna review but I think it works in how they would keep his secret after he saved their lives). I espiecally liked his comment on the extra in the elevator standing their too long. In truth the only really funny extra I found was that guy in the beginning saying Spiderman stole Peter Parker's pizzas. Now that guy knew how to sell a line. I guess no one else just had that level of energy sadly enough.

8. You know he really should of compared the Superman movies rather then the TMNT movies of how the effects getting worse with time works since that would of been a good parallel to the Superman List. And yeah the effects aren't the best but for the time they were rather good for a Superhero movie. In fact really I don't think CGI had really been used too much in live action big budget super hero movies at that point. Yeah there were some obvious examples but Spiderman really pushed that mold first, even more so then X-Men back in 2000. I kind of wish he went with more then just a Mario joke with the jumping on the baloons and tried for something a bit more obscure but eh always go with the stuff people will know the most I guess. They did admitt on the Spiderman II DVD that they did have to reimagine the suit and the effects after the first movie and how much they were trying to push the technology but I don't know if I'd consider the effects of Spiderman I silly. Superman IV on the other hand yeah they look so damn ridicolous but Spiderman I's was at least solid for it's time.

7. Yeah I think eveyrone who complained about Spiderman 3's biggest complaint even moreso then the flag or Dancing Peter would be the fact Venom only got the last bit in the movie. That was really the fault of the Exeuctives and Studio behind production of Spiderman 3 who really wanted Venom to be in the movie. I mean it was obvious Harry was going to be the Goblin after Spiderman II and Sam Ramni wanted to use Sandman but the studios forced Venom which is probably why all of Eddie Brock's scenes felt kind of shoe horned in. I can understand why NC wanted him in there but his reaction is why Venom did go into Spiderman III, and only have a really short fight scene where he apparently "died" (in truth I think if the writers wanted it they could find a way to bring Venom back if they ever visted that Spiderman movie verse again with the logic comic books implement). Really they should of had Sandman be the big bad at the end who Spidey and Harry team up to defeat (and don't have Harry die like his father in Spiderman I. That and well the whole Amnesia thing were stupid and honestly should of been included on this list) and it ends with the symboite attaching around Eddie and him becoming Venom. I mean if you tease a villian at the end that will make people WANT to see another Spiderman. Sure people would be whining about the tease and wanting Venom but hello, they would be wanting Venom. That would of guaranteeed a Spiderman IV though I guess maybe they thought this would be the last one so might as well go out using the villian people want most. Too bad his screentime has now become a punchline.

6. Although the romance in the Spiderman movies was kind of annoying (I admitt groaning in annoyance at Mary Jane rejecting Peter before he can propose to her in Spiderman III) it DOES follow the comics quite well. Afterall in Spiderman's comicverse a lot of the girlfirends he did have he got close to DID wind up dying or have something happen to them where he couldn't see them again. Hell if there was any point Linkara should of made a cameo it was here. NC could of asked why can't Spiderman and Mary Jane just stay happy and married and Linkara would of come in to rant about why the ediotors don't want that and how much of a hack Joe Quasada is. Also romance in general is just overplayed in Superhero movies to get butts into seats, which feels like the only reason why Rachel's character was added in the Christopher Nolan Batman movies. And though it did get ridicolous, there have been worse examples in Spiderman's own regular universe of that. Then again I guess compared to some series it is more overplayed (The X-Men movies never had as much of a focus on romance as Spiderman did).

5. Heh funniest part of the review was NC imitating the arms talking to Octopus which yeah was rather ridicolous. But why was that added to the character? I think because they didn't want to make the villians in the Spiderman Movieverse just two dimensionally evil and just doing bad things for the... sake of doing bad things. I mean obviously there are Spiderman villians with depth (like Green Goblin) but there are some that aren't suppose to have huge tragic backstories or anything. And one of those villians is Otto Octatvius. He's suppose to become the genius Doctor Octopus not because his claws are telling him to, but because he wants to use the power of SCIENCE for whatever schemes he's got cooking. I think Sandman in Spiderman III being given a daughter that was never in the comics he has... ONE scene with and also being the one who shot Uncle Ben was bad but this is worse. Becuase they are literally trying to give a character to something that shouldn't have a character. Really guys you don't need to have every villian have so much sympathy to them. Ones who shouldn't have that happen to them should be left alone and that defintley applies to Doc Ock.

4. You know in general if you go to a movie that's based off of a Superhero Comic you're going to be dumped with at least one or two lines of groan worthy dialogue. And of course in a Spiderman Movie you do have to have Spidey have various quips in his fights (something that we don't really get as much of in the movies actually) but yeah looking back the dialogue of the first movie isn't up to snuff. There were some pretty bad moments in the third movie as well but the second movie actually did have for the most part rather good convos that did have some more weight to them. The first faltered on a good amount of those aspects (probably the best written scenes were when Peter was using Spiderman as a wrestler). I also liked how he used part of the commentary to hear Kristen Dunst admitt that one of the lines were lame. Actually the last bit of this complaint of the movie has him reuse a clip of Spiderman he used for one of his 5 second movies. So I guess he can still take humor from those when he needs to.

3. Okay he mentioend the battle between the symboite and Spidey being in the cartoon series. I'm pretty sure THAT's a refrence to spectacular Spiderman. I mean the 90's Spiderman series followed the movie more of how Peter got the symobite off of him, but Spectuacular Spiderman had him battle the symobite which was actually where they placed the Spiderman Origin as well. He dosen't play a clip of it but I think that's what he was talking about. ANd yeah though I admit to liking seeing how goofy Peter got when he was "emo Peter" (in truth I think he was a lot more Emo in Spiderman II. I call Symbotie influenced Peter "Funky Peter" or "OOC Spidey" then Emo Peter. I guess cause of the hair but the attidue is far from emo) it is kind of distracting from how the Symobite is suppose to be played. Essistnally the symbotie is suppose to play Peter as someone who dosen't have the strong morals or characteristics he usually has and is giving into his darker instincts. Really I also found it weird was what broke him was accidentley hitting Mary Jane, yet he was fine with throwing a pumpkin Grenade at Harry and it exploding him. Okay Harry didn't die and he had a reason to be angry at Harry but come on, that's what set him off? I get that Tobey and Samni wanted to put some more comedy into the whole symboite spider but that was really too much espiecally for something that's suppose to have much more serious weight. Probably also dosen't help that you start with the darker Peter and then have him go all dancemania. Probably should of reversed the momentum of those scenes.

2. Okay the thing is that William DaFoe actually portrayed Norman Osborn well in the beginning of the movie. When he was acting more like a stern jerkass father to Harry. However when he was doing a split personality (something that's done with HARRY in the comics but not something that should be done with Norm as much IMHO. I think it works if he likes and wants the power and dosen't have two sides) and when he was Goblin... yeah the mask didn't help and neither did the Goblin's actions. Really to yet again use Spectacular Spiderman that series also had a tons of fun joking psycho goblin but he was actually intimitating and actually seemed like he knew what he was doing. Unlike this Goblin who just... was a weird part of Norman. Really it is kind of an overtop the top villian preforemnces and yeah you're suppose to have those in a superhero movie but also you're suppose to convey some menance to the characters as well. Octopus had it, Venom had it but the Goblins never did. But hey even with his stupid pie scene Harry at least seemed like he was more Goblinesque then Norman did which is kind of sad.

1. Yeah like I said before this being what sets off Peter was bad enough but the actual dance is... well even watching it the first time I felt humilated and weirded out at the same time. Like "okay really they're having him still dance and in a club with Gwen Stacey? Are you serious?". I don't know if it's the worst movie but it's defintley one of the most uncomftertable moments of the three movies.

I think this was a well argued list and I'm glad he backed up his picks even though there would be stuff I would of personally added or changed. Still good to see NC branch out a bit of doing 80's and 90's Nostaliga. I was kind of hoping though that this week would of been more of a Valentine's Day special (since it'd be too late to do that next week) of top 11 couples. I'm also hoping we get that New Vs Old Karate Kid soon since that's been one I've wanting to see I know he's suppose to be doing at some point in this run.

16. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Surprising Top 11 entry, and quite enjoyable. In hindsight, yeah they're pretty silly, but the points were well made on how these were all rather dumb and what have you. Hard to argue with any of them. Although now it seems like a big tell on a potential entry in Doug's Top 10 movies I love but everyone hates.

17. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I've never heard of Mutant League. It blows my mind that anyone could get away with the dismemberments I just saw there.

That is also one of the cheapest-looking cartoons I've ever seen. But at least I finally know where TZ member Bones Justice's name came from.

I think Doug is slowly morphing into McNitpick. There's a scary thought. Really, a lot of these didn't bother me at all. I hated #6 a ton, but I hate romance runarounds in all media. I wonder what Doug thinks about WT/WTs in general.

Good for Doug in calling out that "angel" line. Even I think they went too far.

18. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

Wow, I was genuinely impressed by this last Nostalgia Critic. I remember having just seen Spider-Man 2, and I was not impressed. I felt it was over-the-top melodrama between two romantic leads with no romantic chemistry and loads and loads of bad, awkward, goofy dialogue. Every single person I said this to flat out said "you're wrong, Spider-Man 2 is the perfect Spider-Man movie and the perfect superhero movie". So I put my feelings aside, walked away, and enjoyed Hellboy instead.

Now this episode of Nostalgia Critic comes out and the Critic perfectly explains EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE PROBLEMS I HAD WITH SPIDER-MAN 2, straight down to saying the dialogue sounded straight out of a 1960's comic book. I feel vindicated. It's just nice to know that I'm not the only one who felt that way.

19. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

^^^ You really shouldn't have to feel bad for being the only one or one of the few to like something.

I mean heck, I seem to be the only one who found the whole Emo Peter thing to be amusing (aside from hitting MJ of course).

20. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

Harry Osborn's butler suddenly telling him two movies two late the truth about his father's death should be on the list. It didn't help that the old timer playing the butler (Bill Paxton's dad) isn't exactly Michael Caine (who also played a butler in a comic book movie, Alfred Pennyworth in Christopher Nolan's Batman films). If you've ever watched the DVD extras, the poor guy has trouble remembering his lines.

Suddenly making Flint Marko responsible for Uncle Ben's murder would've been on my list too. First of all, it was a contrived way to give Flint a personal connection to Peter. It also undermined the "with great power comes great responsibility" message since Sandman went off uncaptured (and presumably still stealing for his sick daughter) at the end.

I don't agree with Doug's sentiments that the Spider-Man movies necessarily have to be really serious and non-goofy. Spider-Man isn't a typically "dark and edgy" hero like Batman, Wolverine, Frank Miller's Daredevil, or the Punisher. Yes, there are "serious" moments like the death of Peter Parker's uncle (the catalyst for him becoming a superhero in the first place) and Doug seems to forgot that Spidey loves to quip and trash talk. It seems like negative feelings steaming from Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin has given certain folks the impression that the only way that a comic book movie can be good is if it's totally straight and hard-edged.

My main problem with Venom wasn't that he wasn't in the movie long enough per se, is that they probably should've saved him for another movie. As a matter of fact, Sam Raimi himself didn't want to use the character in the first place. A long-standing rumor was that Vulture (played by Sir Ben Kingsley) would've been in Venom's place. However, the powers that be at Sony pressured Raimi to include Venom due to fanboy pressure.

Why didn't Doug say anything about the lazy and awfully coincidental (there are a lot of coincidences in Spider-Man 3 by the way) way that the symbiote gets in contact with Peter in the very first place? I do agree with him that John Jameson would've been a more logical choice to ultimately become Venom (he has a legitimate beef with Peter because Mary Jane dumped him at the alter for Peter; they could use the animated interpretation of him getting in contact with the symbiote in space, etc.) than the Eddie Brock that we saw here.

#20 TMC1982, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.