"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures" Classic Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Aug 24, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - [i]Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures[/i]

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

50.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

To honor the launch of the new monthly Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic from IDW Publishing, there's no better time than now to look back at the classic Archie Adventure Series Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ADVENTURES

[​IMG]

Writer: Steve Murphy, others
    Artist: Chris Allan, others

Synopsis: Spinning out from the top-rated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures takes our heroes on all-new adventures! Featuring a mix of episode adaptations and all-new adventures featuring new friends and enemies, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles brings the animated heroes to the comic page like never before!

Comments?

Related Threads:
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Volume One: Heroes In A Half-Shell Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Future Tense - Volume One Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Mirage Studios) Classic Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2011 IDW Ongoing) Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Series Talkback (Spoilers)

#1 James Harvey, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I was just skimming through some of these older comics since the new IDW comic is here and I was surprised to see Gene Colan doing the artwork for one of the older issues - #22. I didn't know at the time who he was but coming across it now it's quite surprising to see. Then again alot about this comic series surprises me when I go back to re-read it. Now that I'm older it definitely has a different feel to it then it was when I was a kid. Still some of my favorite TMNT comics came from this book and I'm glad to have a bunch of the issues though I still have some major gaps in my collection.

3. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Despite the series' rough start with episode adaptations and a very preachy enviromental tone at times, I do have a fondness for the comic for creating its own identity and darker theme. It is, and shall remain, the only Archie comic where Adolf Hitler is seen committing suicide after being attacked by warrior turtles from an apocalyptic future.

The first issue I read was #72, the last one, of all things! It ended with a flashback story of the young Turtles getting their weapons from a martial arts shop, plus an oddly-drawn reprint of the Turtles messing around on a ghost pirate ship. Hey, you can't go wrong with ghost pirates.

Ryan Brown's art remains a highlight, didn't care for the other artists, and I hope IDW considers re-starting Forever War if their possibly planned collections of this series are a success, if they do get released at all.

4. James Harvey

In preparation for the upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures trade paperback series, IDW releases this special 100-page comic!

[​IMG]

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Archie 100 Page Spectacular
    Writer, Artist,Cover: Michael Dooney

Heroes in a half-shell for all ages! Representing the three-issue mini-series that adapted the first five episodes of the original animated TMNT series! Featuring the origins of the Turtles, Splinter, Bebop and Rocksteady... and the first Archie appearances of Shredder and the Foot Clan!

Comments?

5. Wonder Woman

IDW is going to collect TMNT Adv?! Will they be actual trades or more like this 100-page special? I am really, really glad to hear this comic is going to be collected! I loved following this book when I was a kid and can't wait to reread it! I never did get a chance to get that black and white trade of some of the issues Mirage released a few years back.

6. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

They're actual trades. This first special is just for rereleasing the similar trade that Archie printed in 2009 that collected the first few issues. The first original IDW trade releases on July 24th and is already up for pre-order on Amazon. It contains the remaining stories from early in the comic's run that were adaptations of the cartoon.

7. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't know about this collection until I checked my LCS's website for this week's releases on Tuesday. I picked it up and really enjoyed it. My only complaint is that I wish it had been a more traditional TPB style or even a hardcover. But it's a nice collection, and I enjoyed reading the issues again. TMNT Adventures #1 was probably the first comic book I ever had.

8. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Oh, cool. These were neat little comics, and much more relevant to the fans of the cartoon than the main comic series could ever be.

9. James Harvey

The first in an ongoing series of trade collections reprinting the entire Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures comic series is here!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures TPB, Vol. #1

[​IMG]

Story by: Dave Garcia, Beth Mitchroney, Ken Mitchroney, Christy Marx , David Wise , Larry Parr
    Art by: Dave Garcia, Ken Mitchroney

Classic animated TMNT action is collected here in this collection of two fan-favorite cartoon adaptations! In both "The Return of Shredder Parts 1–2" and "The Incredible Shrinking Turtles Parts 1–2,” as Shredder comes back to Earth from Dimension X and attempts to exact his revenge upon the hard-backed heroes.

Comments?

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

After carrying the 100-Page Spectacular, I was hoping by LCS would have this Volume 1, but they didn't. For some reason, they don't seem to get any TPBs on day-of-release. Instead, they just kind of show up on the shelf anywhere from a couple weeks to a month later, so I'll have to keep an eye out for when it turns up.

By the way, how many issues were there of TMNT Adventures? And where they all two-parters, or were there also single issue stories? Just curious how TPBs we could be looking at in this series.

11. Wonder Woman

I picked up the trade today and I'm mixed about it. It collects four issues and the price is $19.99. That seems a bit steep when IDW is doing the same type of trades for G.I. Joe and collecting 10 issues at $20. That being said the quality of the trade is really good and I will likely stick through for the long haul. And if they keep the four-issues a trade treatment, we'll be in for roughly 20 or so trades when you factor in all the specials and the relaunch of the book toward the end. It's going to take a long time to get all the material out. I do hope they release thicker volumes down the line.

12. tmntspider

tmntspider New Member

I picked up the first volume two and I was surprised that they made the trade a bit wider than the other TMNT trades. The quality is still good but I think these are a bit overpriced since they have GI Joe trades that feature 10 issues for $20. It is going to take awhile before the TMNT books really start getting good in the mid-20s/30s issues. I also wonder if they will have all the one-shots and mini-series too.

13. Wonder Woman

I picked up the second TMNT Adv trade and I still don't like how it's just $20 for 4 issues. The GI Joe Classic trades are like 10 issues for $20. Why can't they do that here? And I wish the quality was a bit better.

I did find a binch of random TMNT Adv issues in a dollar bin just over the weekend and I'm surprised at the directions the book took in the late 20s and onward. I remember reading these as a kid and not really pickiong up at the heavy environmentalism and buddist stuff peppered throughout the books but wow is it ever overpowering upon re-reading these issues. It's pretty amazing how much this book got away with in those later issues. Still some of these stories are my absolute favorite TMNT stories. Especially when it gets to the late 20s and 30s. I was a big fan of the book during that time and it was definitely a really mature 'adventures' title.

14. Santino

Santino Member

I'm glad that IDW is releasing these trades even though they always seem to be late. I wish there were more issues in them. The paper quality is fine since it seems like how they were when they originally came out. I hope the sales can stay up so the whole comic can get released .... *sigh*

15. Wonder Woman

Sorry for bumping up this thread but I have a question. I picked up the last two TMNT Adventures collections from IDW and I noticed that Vol. 8 collects 28-31 and then Vol. 9 collects 38-40. Is there a reason why these collections skip #32-37? Those are some of my favorite stories.