"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Aug 24, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW Comic Series

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

20.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Santino

Santino Member

The ongoing, without a doubt.

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Start with the ongoing but don't skip the Micro-series. Those can be read after you've read the ongoing. The micros contain a lot of details that actually comes into play down the road and also put some of the events in a new light such as the recent Fugitoid issue.

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

What surprises await...?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #14

[​IMG]

Written by: Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz
    Art by: Andy Kuhn

Description: Splinter instructs Raphael in the true way of the ninja, and Casey’s life is irrevocably changed! The Turtles have a new mission, but Shredder’s ambitions could put an end to it before they begin. Plus, Krang unveils his master plan! This issue lays the groundwork for a thrilling new story arc that plunges the Turtles into two epic wars! Don’t miss it!

Comments?

4. Wonder Woman

So ... wow. This issue sets up a lot of what is going to be coming later this year I think. The art still wasn't all that good but the new artist coming looks great based on the art samples that have popped up online. I really liked all the background information we got on Krang and everything. This book remains consistently interesting each month, even if some issues aren't exactly up to snuff.

5. James Harvey

Two new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles books hit shelves today!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #15

[​IMG]

Description: Something has escaped Stockgen labs and is hunting the Turtles. Its unrelenting and deadly missionforce will forcecompel the Turtles to question how far they will’ll go to defend themselves… and stretch the brother’s’ bonds to the limit!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ANNUAL #1

[​IMG]

Written by: Kevin Eastman
    Art by: Kevin Eastman

Description: Raphael and Casey find themselves in the middle of a criminal caper gone awry that touches the lives of many of their friends… and enemies! Double -cross upon double -cross leads the Turtles to the heart of the NYC criminal underworld. Various factions jockey for power, but at the end of the day only one can end up on top. Will it be the Foot Clan? Expect the unexpected in this exciting, all-new Kevin Eastman-written/drawn tale!

Comments? on these two new Turtles comics?

6. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Well, the annual mostly gave me my money's worth for $8. I understand Eastman's art works best in B&W, but for a steeper price I'd like a few colour pages, or at least a few extras. Thus, last year's Batman Inc. special beats it for value in my view.

But it's certainly an entertaining yarn of beatdowns, even though the turtles don't have much focus 'til the last quarter of the story. There's a nice classic Mirage feel to the story, the only thing missing being Eastman's rookie spelling errors. And the Peter Laird dedication is sweet, even if the guy regrets his creations now, since Vol. 4 opened with a note to Kevin. And it's good to know Splinter will still be enjoying soaps throughout incarnations.

Any other thoughts? Well, Detective 'Miller' isn't quite as scummy-looking as his real-life counterpart. But he comes close.

7. James Harvey

Slash is here!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #16

[​IMG]

Description: A relentless, demented foe is after the Turtles and he won’t rest until his deadly mission is fulfilled! A desperate fight for survival will take some unexpected turns before the night is over. Don’t miss it!

Comments?

8. Wonder Woman

A pretty good conclusion to the story arc. I'm not surprised to see Old Hob is alive and kicking. He is too good of a bad guy to get rid of yet. While it took awhile to get used to the fill-in artist I thought he did a good job but I don't mind to see him go. I am definitely looking forward to seeing Slash again down the road. I love how this comic is mixing all these different TMNT lores together. It's really interesting.

9. James Harvey

The origin of Krang?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #17

[​IMG]

Art by: Ben Bates

Description: He is a warlord, a genius, and a squishy pink brain. He is General Krang. One of the most signature villains in TMNT history, Krang has an arsenal and wit unlike any other villain. This issue starts a story arc that reveals Krang’s master plan and sees the TMNT come into direct confrontation with one of their mightiest enemies!

Comments?

10. Wonder Woman

I'm a bit mixed on this issue. I like how this comic seems to be merging the original Mirage stuff with the 1980s cartoon and doing it pretty flawlessly, but it seems like this comic has really lost a bit of its step over the last few months. Maybe it's because the art hasn't been as sharp since Dan Duncan left but something does seem a bit off about the comic. Still I thought the writing remains pretty good for the most part and the story seems to be moving in a fairly intergalactic direction. I love what this book has done with the Fugitoid and bringing that in with the Neutrinos has been such a smart move by the writers. I wonder if we'll be seeing the Triceratons soon.

11. Santino

Santino Member

This issue was amazing, I thought. 4 months of Andy Kuhn's atrocious turtle art was pretty rough for me... I really hope the book didn't lose many readers.

Ben Bates rocks though, and Secret History of The Foot Clan will be out next month!

12. Wonder Woman

I wasn't a big fan of Kuhn's art either. I really enjoyed some of Kuhn's art from years ago especially his early Marvel Adventures stuff but I don't think he really fit well here. I did like they that tried something different and he definitely did bring a new look to the book but I just don't think it meshed well. I am interested to see how Bates will do but apparently he might be just on for this arc. I hope this book doesn't get a rotating art team. I'd like it to be consistent.

13. Tristan McClark

I haven't read a Turtles comic book in years! I understand some views toward the artwork, but is the story worth getting invested in? Should I wait till the issues are in paperback?

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Looks like the Turtles are finally officially getting involved with the Krang subplot!

I have to wonder whether their first fight with him will go as well as their fight with Shredder...

15. James Harvey

Discover the origin of the Foot Clan!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE FOOT CLAN #1 (of 4)

[​IMG]

Written by: Mateus Santolouco and Erik Burnham
    Art by: Mateus Santolouco

Description: Demons, ninjas, and hostile takeovers-what more can you expect from a TMNT comic? The first installment of this new miniseries reveals a history never told before about the original founder of the Foot. Join the Turtles as they get a history lesson that they will never forget!

• The origin of Shredder and the Foot Clan revealed!

• Dives into vital secrets key to the TMNT ongoing!

• Written and drawn by fan-favorite Mateus Santolouco!

Comments?

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Ending was epic but the fans who also watched the Fred Wolf animated series and 4Kids animated series, the scope of this mini would feel familiar.
    The use of the ooze, origin of the Foot symbol, and Krang's exo-skeleton design looking like the Fred Wolf one a little were neat surprises. But a great read even though I haven't been keeping up with the main series. Kinda sad this Oruku Maji guy seems like he's going to be the father of a rather rotten son...

17. Wonder Woman

Yojimbo, I heard rumors of a TMNT/Ghostbusters crossover - that could be neat!

As for this Foot Clan issue, this was probably the best issue of the entire IDW TMNT line in some time. The comics have been consistently good but this went above and beyonf that. The world-building here and the epic scope of the story was interesting and just fascinating. The art was perfectly suited, too.

As for the last page reveal, given how much the robot looks TMNT87 influenced, do you think that would be Krang or Ch'rell?

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I've heard those rumors for awhile, it'd be neat but I'm not expecting it anytime soon. For now, I'm just happy to have a monthly Ghostbusters and TMNT comic.

I think it's Krang. Ch'rell being around sorta denigrates the awesomeness of Krang, imo. Plus, I have this feeling the origin of the animosity between Krang and Shredder might be expanded on in this Foot mini. I'm still on the fence about the whole reincarnation thing and where it all fits in, unless I missed something.

19. James Harvey

Double the Turtle-action!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #18

[​IMG]

Art by: Ben Bates

Description: The Turtles are stranded in Dimension X! With Krang waging a massive war against the Neutrinos, the Turtles have no choice but to help. What can four lone Turtles do against an army of Stone Soldiers? The answer lies with a curious robot named the Fugitoid!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE FOOT CLAN #2 (of 4)

[​IMG]

Written by: Mateus Santolouco and Erik Burnham
    Art by: Mateus Santolouco

Description: The TMNT and the Foot Clan race to intercept the one man who may be able to uncover long-lost secrets of Shredder's power! In Feudal Japan, Oroku Saki's friendship with Hamato Yoshi crumbles as Saki begins to fully comprehend his true destiny in the Foot Clan. Can his ambition be contained?

Comments?