"Tangled: The Series" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jun 3, 2015.

1. quiteliterally

I liked Timon and Pumbaa as a kid (back when I was crazy for anything Lion King-related), but I'll agree that it doesn't hold up massively well now - essentially just Disney's answer to the Ren and Stimpy formula that was popular at the time. Having said that, it was probably a better route than just doing a straight sequel a la Aladdin - I know a few Lion King fans who were annoyed that that they got this weird little gross-out buddy comedy instead of an actual continuation of the story, but I can't really see The Lion King lending itself to the same kind of universe-expanding as Aladdin or Hercules.

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Does Disney XD really need a cartoon block when half of the shows on it's schedule are cartoons? Also, as previously stated, DXD has been moving away from the "boys only" format as of late.

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Uh what? I think that Wreck It Ralph and Big Hero 6 had more TV show potential than Tangled does. I will still give it a try and I am sure it would be okay, but it just seems kind of random to me.

4. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Programing blocks happen all the time.....but if Disney decides not to do it we are still getting a fair amount of animation for 2017 !! Also DXD becoming less boy oriented might be a good thing. I think they have well proved their point that Disney doesnt have to be all about girls. It should be aimed more towards the family.

5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well at least it was still based off of something that wasn't just Ren and Stimpy so it still had it's own actual identity. Unlike say the actual Disney afternoon show that ripped off Ren and Stimpy, Snhookms and Meat. Seriously at least Timon and Pumbaa had some actual jokes to them someone liked. Name someone who can say that about S&M.

Honestly the reason why Frozen and Big Hero 6 aren't getting shows is it's likely Disney wants to focus those brands specifically on the sequels and movie franchises it can make from them and thus a show would detract and detriorate from that. Since they obviously aren't going to make another Tangled movie they're more fine with making a show. Which may also be why we don't know what's happening with Wreck It Raph: Disney has no idea how to follow that up yet. Still I do appreciate finally getting another show based on a Disney property and honestly the concept and idea itself sounds fine. And this comes from someone who wasn't the biggest fan of Tangled. Didn't hate it or anything but it did have problems that did take me out of the movie. Still a show has potential, especially since I did like Rapunzel and Flynn in the movie together so a show with them working off one another should work.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Kyle Carrozza likes Shnookums and Meat. Now he has his own show!

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm a Shnookums and Meat fan too, but this is getting a bit off-topic.

As for Tangled TAS, I'm cautiously hopeful. Based on the teaser art, though, it appears it won't be CG like the movie. If so, that'll take some getting used to.

8. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Well-Known Member

Consider me curious too. I was too young for the Aladdin TAS craze, so I'd like to see Tangled. And as for the hair, Disney will probably use the same 'remnants of magic' excuse they did to explain Rapunzel having hair at the Disney parks. I'm not a huge stickler for consistency here. The hair could heal wounds with a magic song, why would people be so up in arms about its length?

9. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

That's the internal logic of the film.
    She might have been able to heal Flynn with her tears, but she sacrificed her golden locks of hair to permanently weaken Mother Gothel.
    She could maybe stumble upon the exact same rare flower in the show, get back her golden hair & more convenient healing powers
    ...but then she'd have to give that up again in time for her wedding.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it was more like Eugene cut her hair so that Mother Gothel wouldn't be able to take Rapunzel away with the last bit of strength he had rather than Rapunzel herself sacrificing her hair. I always saw that the tear was just the last remaining bit of that magic left in her body. They might be able to explain that there was enough magic left in her body for her hair to just regrow, but having to cut it again in time for her wedding does throw a little bit of an issue there.

11. quiteliterally

Less so than other variations on the Ren and Stimpy formula like Rocko's Modern Life and The Angry Beavers, I would argue. Timon and Pumbaa may have been based on characters from an existing movie, but the show went to such lengths to remove them from the context of that movie and rewrite the rules of their universe that, other than to capitalise upon the Lion King brand name, they may as well have been original characters.

The one area in which T&P does stand out somewhat, IMO, is that, unlike most shows of its ilk, it seemed to have a vaguely educational bent, in name-checking various geographical locations in its titles.

12. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I certainly hope it will be 2D

13. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Strange, this is the first Disney movie spinoff television series that unlike the movie, is in 2D. Something similar happened with Turbo: F.A.S.T. which is a Dreamworks show.

14. quiteliterally

If we can count Pixar films then there's already Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

15. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

If that counts, then that's the second.

16. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Sorry, but I want to see teen sitcoms die so Disney Channel can be Disney again. But the Mickey Mouse shorts will stay.

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

The bulk of Disney Channel's shows are produced by Disney, are owned by Disney and have the Disney name in front of them, so Disney Channel has never stopped being Disney. That statement couldn't possibly make any less sense.

Quite frankly, I find it sad how much you're trying to make this into some sort of moral issue when there is none. You can bad-mouth Disney's teen shows all you want, but the fact of the matter is that they're popular with viewers. There are boat-loads of kids who enjoy those shows, why should Disney cater to you and not to them? Why is it bad that Disney airs what their audience wants them to? They're a network and a business, it's their job to cater to what they think their biggest audience wants to see, and right now the teencoms are in just as high demand as cartoons, if not more.

The whole "Disney's teencoms needs to die" rhetoric is a pointless, and frankly absurd complaint. Those shows weren't made for you or me. People our age complaining about them is like going to the mall and complaining that there are Hot Topic and Justice stores. Sorry, but the world is full of teenagers. Just deal with it, man.

Would it be great if Disney started airing their classic cartoons again? Of course it would, but pining away for them at the expense of what's proven to be popular with kids is ridiculous. Even if the classic Disney cartoons did come back, the other shows aren't leaving as long as their popular with kids. And again, just because the teencoms are airing on Disney Channel doesn't mean that you have to watch them. It's simple: don't watch the teen shows if you don't like them.

Just be happy that Disney still cares enough about animated projects like the Tangled series and switch off the stuff you find unappealing.

18. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

To be fair, even tho we may hate it, The Disney Channel ALWAYS aired teencoms in one way or another

19. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Disney has been producing TV shows and movies tailored for teenagers even before the studio had a cable channel. Examples include: The Adventures of Spin & Marty, The Misadventures of Merlin Jones, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Shaggy Dog (the original), The Strongest Man in the World. This isn't something that just started happening a few years ago; Disney has been catering to teens as far back as the 1950s. Heck, Annette Funicello (sp?) and Hayley Mills were the Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez of their day.

20. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Frog of Thunder
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Folks, please keep this thread on-topic. I'd rather have people discussing animation than bad-mouthing live-action teen sitcoms, which do an admirable job of bad-mouthing themselves all on their own without any assistance at all.