"Tangled" (formerly "Rapunzel") Pre-Release Discussion

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Linkpre, Jul 26, 2009.

1. PaperBritt

PaperBritt Member

Oh how easy we are to forget the Eisner era! An era where no matter how crappy something was, they'd shove it out just so they could squeeze a few bucks out of it, mediocre straight-to-DVD-sequels completely stomped on classic films, and the man behind the company was in a content race with Dreamworks to see who could make the crappiest pop-culture comedies!

No matter what happens, ANYTHING, not just Tangled, but ANYTHING John Lasseter oversees will be better than what we've had during Eisners days, no matter what its quality is!

2. ToonGirl

ToonGirl Member

^I actually edited my comment, cause it sound kind of harsh. :sweat: But the way you say it is that Tangled is some sort of miracle compared to the Eisner days...

Also, have any of you seen the Japanese trailer for Tangled? It is so BEAUTIFUL compared to the one we got. I am sure Tangled will do phenomenal in Japan, if not for the plot, then just for how anime (and moe) Rapunzel actually looks. :anime:

3. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Gee, between this and making the one dramatic trailer for the mo-cap Christmas Carol, Japan should only be in charge of making Disney trailers.

They might even make previews for Pixar movies that get the tone right!

4. PaperBritt

PaperBritt Member

I was directing the comment to the person you were replying too, so I probably should have qouted HIS comment instead of yours, my bad. :sweat:

And I'm not saying everything John Lasseter touches is gold (Making a new Winnie the Pooh? Really? That was the best thing they could think of for their 2nd hand drawn movie? Even if it's a good movie, that's just lazy) Or that Tangled is some godsend, I'm just saying of after having a DECADE of Mike Eisner "it's-good-enough" crap, it's refreshing to see Disney films that actually have EFFORT in them.

If I don't like Tangled, I will be back here eating my words, but I have been optimistic ever since Eisner stepped down and Lasseter took over, and Bolt and Princess and the Frog proved (atleast to me) that the company CAN still make good movies.

5. Mia

Mia Member

I don't think Tangled will actually be bad. But I do think it might be viewed as bland and that could be just as bad.

Regardless I'll save my judgment until I actually see it. I'm actually excited for the animation, it looks like they're really pushing them for maximum hilarity.

6. Gorbash

Gorbash Munchings & Crunchings

Didn't Eisner bring, Beauty and the Beast? Little Mermaid? Lion King? Aladdin? Hunchback of Notre Dame? Tarzan? Yea, I think I'll stop. I believe the era you should probably be referring to is the Insane Eisner Era when Frank Wells died.

7. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

What I personally wanted out of Tangled was the vision Glen Keane originally proposed. Even if he publically says this is what he wanted all along, I somehow wouldn't believe it, because it looks and feels nothing like what Keane described in his vision several years ago.

8. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

We better enjoy this one considering it may be the last one for a long time.

9. Sparticus

Sparticus Should be drawing right now...

Yeah, okay THAT makes me want to see the movie.

10. Mia

Mia Member

I wonder if Disney is making the same marketing mistake Dreamworks made with HTTYD. Making it seem more slaptsticky and silly than it really is.

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Disney is promoting Tangled as a Shrek-type film and as though it were just as much (if not more) Flynn's story as Rapunzel's because their focus groups told them that The Princess and the Frog's under-performing domestically was because "boys didn't go see it since it starred a girl", so now they're trying to pass it off as something it isn't, hoping folks won't realize that they've been duped until after they've paid and gotten their butts into the theater seats.

Disney did the same thing with Bridge to Terabithia: the trailers and promos only showed the fantasy sequences and they tried to promote it as a Narnia knockoff when in fact it was a straightforward tween angst and isolation story. My aunt (who had never read the book like I had to do in 5th grade) took my younger cousin to see Terabithia thinking it was going to be like Harry Potter or The Golden Compass, only to be angry and disappointed by what they saw. All I could say is, "That's how they get ya."

12. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Frog of Thunder
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

That "mistake" led to a $217M domestic box office (and, it must also be noted, a muted lead-in weekend followed by surprising legs at the box office). That sounds like exactly the kind of mistake Disney would love to be making :p.

Silverstar's analysis is certainly one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that the marketing is enough to get butts in seats who will not get what they were expecting, but will like what they see anyway, and hopefully enough that they'll tell all their friends to see it, too.

13. Mia

Mia Member

That's what I meant though. Had I not been living with little children I wouldn't have seen HTTYD. It looked silly and stupid, but I was rightfully blown away.

I was just wondering if they were promoting it a certain way to appeal to others, when somewhere is actually a really great film.

14. SKDarkDragon

SKDarkDragon Shorter-than-Average

I agree! I was just kind of so-so on the movie from watching the other trailers, but the Japanese one makes it look so exciting!

15. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

16. moo92

moo92 Crazy Tv troper

Having read the jr novelization of Tangled, I can rightfully say that the trailers totally misrepresents the film. Also the trailers give no indication that the film is a musical.:shrug:

17. Polychrome

Polychrome Cartoon Karate Maniac

It's definitely got a lot to go up against. Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon got a 99% and a 98% on the tomatometer, respectively, scores that are freakishly difficult to get. Tangled has only scraped an 88% so far.

Granted, both THOSE movies also have a lot going against them as well.

Toy Story 3, for all its critical acclaim and happily following audience, I worry might get shafted for accusations of sequelitis. I just have this little fear in the back of my head. Call it pure paranoia. I really hope it's just paranoia. Paranoia aside, I do think if nominated, this film would win in a heartbeat.

How to Train Your Dragon was "liked" by critics, but they also tended to belittle it in the artistic sense, claiming the pacing at the beginning was too slow and the characters were too predictable. It's only because of the flight sceens and huge plot/character payoffs toward the end that it scraped past most critics. (It's like the movie was anything BUT worthy, but the critics who wanted to hate it, for the most part, couldn't if they tried when the movie was considered as a whole.) I'd say it's got a good chance of getting nominated, but that the whole "not an art movie" might just as easily get it snubbed, regardless of audience appeal.

I haven't seen The Illusionist, but it managed to get a 90%.

I guess we won't know how things turn out until they do. A lot of it all rests on how Tangled does overall. Personally, I believe anything with Pixar involvement has a trick or two up its sleeve.

18. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

19. SKDarkDragon

SKDarkDragon Shorter-than-Average

Thanks for posting - I'm glad to read the positive review! I think I'll try to go see this one over the holiday weekend, if I can get some friends together. :)