"Tangled" (formerly "Rapunzel") Pre-Release Discussion

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Linkpre, Jul 26, 2009.

1. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Just a random promo image from the movie, that's it. No special commentary or nothing. Just thought it was a hilarious image.

2. ToonGirl

ToonGirl Member

Another video:

Tangled: Sidekicks

Hook Hand reminds me of Captain Hook. That was probably intentional.

My goodness, how many times are they going to use that, "your dream stinks, I was talking to her" scene? It's getting on my nerves. :mad:

3. Sarah SolaFide

They've used Flynn's "Here comes the smolder" line a lot too. Most movie trailers and commercials in general have a habit of overusing jokes--reminds me of how so many spots for the last Harry Potter film used the "'She only likes you 'cause you're the chosen one'/'But, I am the chosen one'" quip.

4. moo92

moo92 Crazy Tv troper

Yeah I'm sick of those lines too.:ack:

5. ToonGirl

ToonGirl Member

You know, I noticed that the Rapunzel dolls have shorter hair compared to the film. I know they can't put the exact proportions and all, but if Barbie could make (their) Rapunzel have very long hair, why not here?

(The proportions I don't know for sure, but in Tangled, Rapunzel has 70 feet (840 inches) of hair, and looks to be around 5 feet (60 inches) tall. So, if she was only one inch tall, she'd have about 14 inches of hair.)

Also, new videos (via StitchKingdom.com):

Disney's 'Tangled' - New Clip. Featurette, Stills and More (So Much More!)

Disney's 'Tangled' 'Smolder by Flynn' Viral Video Plus New Clip 'The Snuggly Duckling'

The Smolder video came off as sort of sensual... just like perfume ads. :anime:

EDiT: An early review from HollywoodReporter.com (Some minor spoilers)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/todd-mccarthys-film-review-tangled-42752

#245 ToonGirl, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010
  6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I had the original Rapunzel Barbie and the hair wasn't like the 2009 one, it was pretty much the same as the Disney one. So I don't see any problem with the Disney doll. If anything it's better than the 2009 one because the hair is actually proper instead of little dreadlock strings.

7. ToonGirl

ToonGirl Member

^I guess it is just a preference of mine.

8. PaperBritt

PaperBritt Member

THE SOUNDTRACK IS UP ON ITUNES!!! :D:D:D

I myself, don't want too spoil too much for myself, but I broke down with "Mother Knows Best", and it's and AWESOME villain song!

9. Infusions

Infusions Showers in Spokane

Now that I get to see more bits of the film and the actual film, not stuff-made-for-advertisement, Tangled is starting to look more like the classic 90's Disney films than Princess and the Frog did (PatF didn't feel very genuine to me).

I'm also starting to think the film looks really really pretty. I did think it was nicely colored in the first trailer, but now I see more and the movements and it just looks really nice. I can't point it out, but something about this film looks super organic compared to most other CGI films.

As for the re-using lines, it's not the first time trailers have used the same line over and over in their trailers. They've just been doing a ton of promotion for this film, so you just see it in so many more videos. I'd rather they do that than say, spoil a big plot point in their trailer (Megamind ffffffff). With all the promoting they've been doing, if Disney had used a new clip from the movie each time, we'd have seen the movie already solely on advertisements.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

That's because Disney is trying to falsely market the movie and push it as something it is not to try and attract a broader demographic. I think they fail to understand what made the popular classics successful in the first place.

I don't see how The Princess and The Frog was not genuine.

11. Linkpre

Linkpre Just a Guy

I love "When Will My Life Begins". It's a cute song and it has a pretty upbeat sound. Gonna wait till I see the movie to hear the rest of the soundtrack though.

12. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Frog of Thunder
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

13. Vaporleaf

Vaporleaf Active Member

Minor/ petty complaint: did they have to make her blond and wearing pink? And the villainous a brunette in dark red.

Well, maybe the design is supposed to look cliche...

14. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

In Disney's defense, Rapunzel is the first white Disney princess since 2002. While it is indeed somewhat cliched for the movie's heroine to be blonde and the villainess to have black hair, I find Rapunzel's character desing to be very appealing and super cute, and so I'm willing to overlook that. Also, it figures that the only way for a mother to have a decent role in a Disney movie is her to be the villain (although the fact that Mother Gothel isn't actually Rapunzel's mother makes that point somewhat irrelevant).

15. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

Really? The way I see it, she's the first Disney Princess since 1991. First off, Kida doesn't officially count as a Disney princess*, and even if she did, she most certainly isn't white. It's arguable that she was Disney's first black princess.

*The official lineup is: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana and Rapunzel.

16. Lavenderpaw

Lavenderpaw Essense Of Love

Sorry I'm late to the party :)p) Hmm, Tangled. It looks very cute and sort of like Dragons with the Shrek/village - ish civilization. Rupunzel is pretty cool with her hair stunts (swing around trees and stuff like that). But if I see it, I'm going to have a hard time not thinking about Shrek and Fiona. Is it me, or does this movie's humor kind of border on DreamWorks and 1990's Pumbaa/Timon/Mushu gags???

17. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

That's the same thing I thought when I saw the previews for this movie.

18. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

THat's the whole thing that I got from the trailers..sigh.

19. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

Well, after all the hype around this when it was in the brainstorming stages, it's finally sneaking into theatres quietly and with little fanfare. Ugh.

Like most of you, I was very excited by some of the preliminary ideas being tossed around about how the film would look and feel ("like a Rococo painting!" they said) Instead we get something that looks more run of the mill.

Inevitably, business trumps ambition and what we get will no doubt be a disappointment even if it's still actually decent as a film. Because we know it was capable of so much more.

20. ToonGirl

ToonGirl Member

This is exactly why I think this film will get snubbed when it comes to the Best Animated Feature award (Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon will most likely take 2 of the three nominations, both CGI films. The third might go to The Illusionist to make it more diverse.)

But we have to remember, this film was in production madness for several years (according to a Disney rep), going through many plot ideas and such. One of the ideas they almost did was Rapunzel: Unbraided. It would have been about two teens becoming Rapunzel and her prince, while the real Rapunzel becomes a squirrel (who was going to be voiced by Kristin Chenoweth.) I love anything Disney, and even if this film is underplayed, I'll still like it because of all the hard work that it took to make it.