"Tangled" (formerly "Rapunzel") Pre-Release Discussion

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Linkpre, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Linkpre

Linkpre Just a Guy

Most know The Princess and the Frog, Walt Disney Animation Studio's first hand drawn film since 2004's Home on the Range, will be released this Holiday season. From what I can tell, many people are hyped up about and I am gotta say it does look like it could be a good movie.

But as I'm sure many people here already know, Disney is also preparing their next animated film, Rapunzel. Based off an old fairy tale by the Grimm Bros., it'll be Disney's 50th animated story.

[​IMG]

Tangled has actually been in the works for years now, even longer than The Princess and the Frog. It started under the direction of Disney animator Glen Keane, who had worked on many versions of the film until last year when Nathan Greno and Byron Howard, directors of Bolt took over for him. Mr. Keane will now serve as excutive producer/animation director (according to IMBD).

I'm actually really excited for this one. Apparently it'll be CGI film made to move and appear like a 2-D film. It was also apparently based off a painting called The Swing. Anyways, I'm glad their trying to find something new (or at least rarely used) to use in the world of animation.

Their are some negative things too. There are actually a few concept arts and movies on places like Youtube, and judging from the comments, this film may have a hard time. Apparently because it won't be 2-D, it won't be as good of a film. I'm betting most of the people saying these things are kids/teens who grew up with the "Disney Renaissance" line of films and believe that's all Disney films are about. But that just what I think.
    [​IMG]

So what are everyone's thoughts on the movie?

#1 Linkpre, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

The art style looks weird but just because its CGI doesn't make it inferior. I know that I would rather watch Meet the Robinsons over Home On the Range any day of the week.

3. LeatherJeans

LeatherJeans Genderbending=Awesomeness !

The movie looks OK but that depends when I go see the film. Anyway I enjoy the way Rapunzel looks. Which year did Rapunzel started in production and when will it be released?

4. Baltofan

Baltofan Active Member

I can't wait!

5. Taco Wiz

Taco Wiz The Loyal Order of Stupids

Not the directors of Bolt! I don't like Toy Story rip-offs!

6. swarlock

swarlock Member

Looks interesting enough.

If I see a trailer for it in the future I'll know for sure.

7. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Frog of Thunder
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Unfortunately, so far there hasn't been much released publicly about the movie, other than stories about its long and troubled path to get to the screen, including Glen Keane's stepping down as director. I'm pretty sure I've seen one or two pieces of concept art for the movie, but that one up there is new to me.

With so little public knowledge about the movie, I can't really have much of an informed opinion about it yet and I don't know how someone can say "It will stink" or "It will be awesome" now based on anything other than reflex action. However, I did like Bolt, and the directors had to wrestle a half-made movie into something workable for the screen on a much tighter timetable, so they can at least accomplish that. Real Artists Ship.

8. creativerealms

creativerealms Active Member

Ok while Bolts story was a lot like Buzz's story in Toy story he did not exactly invent that plot and out side that it really was not much of a Toy Story rippoff. Hell it changed to more of a Toy Story rip off when John Lasserter joined the team and I wonder why?

Sorry. Anyway it's too early for my to make an opinion of this movie.

9. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

A fairy tale is perfect for the 50th movie to represent that all Disney has done over the years. I'm a bit disappointed that it won't just be regular 2-D animation but I still have high hopes for it.

10. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

If Princess & the Frog doesn't start a new Disney reinassance, 10 bucks says this will. The art style looks beautiful - some of the best CGI character designs I've ever seen - the guys making it sound excited, and it's a story I've always wanted to see an animated version of.

So, yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

11. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

I have great respect for old fairy tales. Until I see something more solid I will not comment on this film.

12. Linkpre

Linkpre Just a Guy

Five new concept arts were posted on the Disney Animation site last week:
    http://www.disneyanimation.com/projects/rapunzel/index.html

I really like the one in the forest with Rapunzel walking. Looks really beautiful. Can't wait to see a trailer. I hear there might be a teaser at the D23 Expo next month.

#12 Linkpre, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2009
  13. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

It does look beautiful. I can't wait until a trailer.

14. Linkpre

Linkpre Just a Guy

A trailer/teaser wasn't released publicily at that D23 Expo last week, but I did hear a few animation clips were shown. Apparently they showed a few clips of Rapunzel using her hair as a whip or something like that.

Also Mandy Moore has been casted as Rapunzel.

15. Time Wizard

Time Wizard It All Ends Here

The miss the animated Disney features of the 90s before the CGI world took over. Pixar rocks! But other companies have gone a little crazy with the CGI and 3D animation. Shrek was the only DreamWorks 3D movie ive actually liked.

16. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

This movie looks like it could be fantastic, and it's nice that they're using a more original art style instead of just going the 2-D route (though, a 2-D Rapunzel movie would probably be great as well). That new concept art looks absolutely gorgeous, and if the whole movie is that beautiful, then it might be worth seeing for that reason alone.

Though, I'm sure that won't be the only reason. :p

17. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

This movie looks promising. The art we've seen looks gorgeous and, honestly, I'm kind of fond of the Rapunzel story anyway (not as much as Jack and the Beanstalk, but that's another subject). However, what I'm wondering is if there will be songs in this movie.

The thing is, looking back, I remember two different eras in feature animation. First, when I was very young was when Disney just came back on the scene with stuff like The Little Mermaid and Aladdin and really getting into creating these big, splashy musicals based on fairy tales and other classic stories. And that's what seemingly everyone in the feature animation business seemed to want to be for a while. They were making musicals or fairy tales or trying to do both at once and you were getting stuff like Anastasia and Thumbelina and all those. But then, the next thing was that Pixar came on the scene and they had this new technology and they were using it to create these kind of quirky yet lovable ensemble comedies. And then everyone wanted to do that and you got Shrek and Madagascar and so on. That's more or less all people have been using this new tech for. So, the question is, can they really bring the best of two worlds together. Can they use this modern CGI technology and make a really good, Disney style fairy tale musical? Who knows?

18. Linkpre

Linkpre Just a Guy

I think it was said that this would be a musical too. Alan Menken and Glenn Slater are working on the soundtrack.

--
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=25939
    Update on the film by Mandy Moore. Said she just got started working on it. Maybe there will be a teaser early next year?

19. Lavenderpaw

Lavenderpaw Essense Of Love

Let's not get ahead of ourselves; still waiting for P and the F.

20. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

Naw, Bolt was a rip-off of the direct-to-video sequel 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure. It's about an action TV-show dog named Thunderbolt. :anime: