TALKBACK - Transformers: Robots in Disguise - Series Talkback (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Gatordragon, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Heh, yeah. Too bad they didn't take better care of their furniture; I get the feeling those chairs were the only "gifts" they'll be getting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Clampdown has always been the weakest and least openly hostile or dangerous of Steeljaw's Pack, so it was nice seeing him kind of get into the spotlight and end up helping the Autobots :).

"Kaon Convention?" Was this signed during the War or Post-War? Because I have serious trouble believing Megatron would ever agree to something like this, but I guess it makes sense the Autobots would establish it internally to prevent them from going too far :ack:.

Hey, if the Autobots can get recolors, why not the Decepticons too :p?

That's some terrible security for a radiation facility if they just let in any vehicle that has the colors and logo of a hazmat truck. No wonder humans still haven't discovered the Transformers on this show :rolleyes:.

It's sometimes easy to forget how tough Thunderhoof is given how many times he's been beat with the rest of the Pack by Team Bee, so it was kind of nice to see him really take charge and do some damage here :evil:.

I also like that they continued the element way back in season 1 of his issues with Clampdown :cool:

There's definitely some irony in seeing Steeljaw achieve success by basically abandoning his Pack to the Autobots. Although I think we all know by now that all his talk about a unified Decepticon front was all but a sham :mad:.

I was starting to wonder if any Stasis Pods had actually survived the destruction of the Scrapyard, but I guess the Autobtos are making do with some makeshift jail cells for their prisoners. Though those seem so improvised that I won't be surprised if we see the Cons breakout at some point :eek:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

I think the government's been keeping this under wraps since day one or at least since the episode where that museum had access to a stasis pod. The Transformers wander around evacuated or automated facilities all the time, but those places have to have cameras. This would have to be a far reaching conspiracy I'll admit, but whole towns and cities were destroyed in Transformers Prime and Transformers Universe and the government still kept the war covered up.

I think even Steeljaw has given up on that as he's basically sold out to get a pardon from the very government he tried to overthrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Transformers: Robots In Disguise: Combiner Force "Prisoner Principles"

Not much to say this week other than to ask if I'm the only one who thinks if it's weird that the Decepticon's "Camo colors" are a bright neon yellow? I'm not, right? **1/2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoeMabbon

If I'm remembering right they were trying to blend in with the other bright neon vehicles entering the nuclear power plant. That checks out. Now the nuclear plant letting unapproved, driver-less vehicles in? That's another story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JoeMabbon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Week...

Episode 066

Collateral Damage

Soundwave finally escapes the Shadowzone to set up a Beacon Generator intended to summon Megatron! While the Bee Team engages the notorious Decepticon atop a skyscraper, Optimus Prime takes on Laserbeak in the skies over Crown City, Sideswipe learns a lesson in considering the consequences of his actions.​

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"Soundwave finally escapes the Shadowzone to set up a Beacon Generator intended to summon Megatron!" for once I'm actually hoping the villain succeeds in their plan :D.

"Optimus Prime takes on Laserbeak in the skies over Crown City" That...seems like an unfair match-up :sweat:.

"Sideswipe learns a lesson in considering the consequences of his actions." So, this would be...what, the seventh or eight time Sideswipe has had to basically learn this lesson? Maybe it'll actually stick this time :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JoeMabbon

Didn't Laserbeak knock Optimus out of the sky the last time they fought?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh yeah. And this was after Prime had just gotten his upgrade too :p.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Transformers: Robots In Disguise: Combiner Force "Collateral Damage"

Sideswip is such a 'wipe. He actually has to LEARN it's not okay to break a little kid's TV. He doesn't actually already know that. He sucks. And as far as "making things right" at the end go, dressing up in blankets is wholly inadequate.

How does Sideswipe not know the TV matters? Russell literally risked his life at the beginning to protect it. What more does he need?

Good to hear Soundwave in all of his Frank Welkery glory. Soundwave on Prime made no sense. They called him Soundwave, but he struck me as an entirely different character, detaching Minicons or no. Here, they finally gave him his voice back, and a design that's more Generation One, while still having enough of the Prime design in it to tell it's the same character. They pulled off a similar trick with Starscream last season, and I totally approve of the show doing stuff like that. Although Starscream's design change was explained, while Soundwave's was not.

Sideswipe and Strongarm continually ruin this show for me week after week. This week was no exception. **1/2.

• Like Like x 2
  11. JoeMabbon

A single, poorly credentialed phone call can lead to the full evacuation of a small American city in under an hour? Wow, this is science fiction. I think you can pull something like that in Rescue Bots where the mayor is clearly set up as a moron and the town is small, but it feels clumsy here.

Speaking of clumsy, how 'bout that moral? Strongarm trying to guilt Sideswipe for a clear accident just didn't work for me. Especially when genocide's on the table. It's like comparing a kid who steals a Snickers from a gas station to Bernie Madoff. The magnitudes and numbers of victims are so different it feels ridiculous.

So, this group of Mini-cons was given even less characterization than the last one. That's kinda sad. I think there's a Half in the Bag episode that ends with a one-shot character announcing that he's so distracted that he's now going to walk into traffic without looking in a monotone voice. That's how it looked when that Mini-con banished himself to the Shadowzone for no reason.

Alright, negatives out the way. Positives! Soundwave's design was great! I think it was meant to be a surprise, but his design was revealed almost a year ago.

I think this is the only version of Laserbeak that could be ordered to terminate Optimus and have a chance at success.

Action choreography was really good. Especially Soundwave's tentacles and the Laserbeak/Optimus chase.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Y'know, I know Soundwave's muteness in Prime accentuated his mysterious and deadly efficient nature, but nothing beats Frank Welker and the classic Soundwave voice and mannerisms :D.

Soundwave's new design was awesome. I love how the show has been able to take classic G1 designs, even for Prime characters, and give them a slick and cool modern revamp. Even Lazerbeak got in on the action ;).

So does the "benefactors" ultimate plan involve bringing back Megatron, or is that just how they convinced Soundwave to help them? Or was the whole "destroying all life on Earth" thing their ultimate endgame o_O?

Though I wonder...do they even think Megatron wants to come back? I know Soundwave wasn't around when it happened, but Megatron willingly disbanded the Decepticons. He seemed completely done with fighting against the Autobots by that point. I'm not sure how much he would appreciate getting dragged back into things :ack:.

What would the Autobots do if the humans weren't so gullible on this show :p?

I don't know what kind of argument Strongarm was trying to make about the TV thing. Not only did Sideswipe only accidentally destroy it, but it was a TV. It's not like it was something super-special or meaningful to Russell on a personal level that it can't be replaced, he just can't watch TV now. First world problems :rolleyes:.

Heck, trying to protect that TV almost got him killed. It's even odder to see Strongarm, of all people, be the one to use such a shallow argument against Sideswipe :confused:.

Random Mini-Con just coming in to help Optimus out last-minute was random. I didn't think the Mini-Con sub-plot last season was high-class writing, but at least it felt like it had better build-up and resolution then everything involving these Activator Mini-Cons. Especially when they had to rely on a lot of info-dump at the end there :shrug:.

Poor Soundwave. Even he can't stand-up to the Autobots and their last-minute powerups, though it was nice to see Bumblebee get a big moment :cool:.

Once again, Optimus Prime gets a new upgrade and helps save the day. It's like Hasbro feels contractually obligated to showcase Prime as the main character, even when he isn't on this show :p.

I can't think of any reason why someone would willingly go to live in the Shadowzone, but I guess if the Mini-Con can come and go as he pleases :confused:...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

You and I don't care about a TV. Because we have one. When you are stuck in a cave for weeks on end with nothing to do, and none of your possessions, especially if you are a kid, it is the most valuable thing in the world. And Sideswipe isn't a jerk for accidentally destroying the TV. He's a jerk for not caring he destroyed the TV.

Still don't see why the Autobots didn't just get him a new one at the end. It's not like they never pick up real-world supplies somehow.

But the Mayor being dumb enough to want to evacuate the city based on a bogus 30 second phone call? Yeah, that bugged me too.

14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So Soundwave finally does something, and this is the week where I don't get to watch the episode right away. Joy. :p

Anyway, mostly pretty solid in the way that matters. Soundwave looked pretty good; it's always fun seeing him fight, and hearing Frank Welker again was a treat.

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, the Sideswipe and mini-con sub-plots were lacking. Heck, the mini-con thing barely felt like a sub-plot this season - and now that's it? Also, I was expecting Soundwave to last the rest of the season, but I guess not?

Poor Steeljaw, always being betrayed.

Optimus always ends up getting the B plot whenever he appears now, but I can't complain, because his match up against Laserbeak was fun (even with the random mini-con appearance).

Well, now I'm curious how the rest of the season will play out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. JoeMabbon

You know what they say, "What goes around comes around."

Apparently Steeljaw and a lot of the other Alchemor Decepticons aren't "real Decepticons" as far as Soundwave's concerned. I'd like to see that developed a bit more, but it looks like we're running out of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe he feels that the only real Decepticons are the ones who worked directly under Megatron?

But yeah, with only about five episodes left, I'm just hoping for a conclusion to the Cybertron sub-plot. Just what is Drift doing?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I imagine any Great War-era Decepticon would drive a distinction between the Decepticons by faction and the Decepticons by citizenhood, since the former ostensibly follow the ideology and premise of of the Decepticons as set forth by Megatron while the others are basically just considered an entirely separate race at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JoeMabbon

Are they a separate race or just criminals who got marked with a tracking beacon? Steeljaw seems to be the only one who believes the Alchemor prisoners have some form of shared identity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JoeMabbon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Week...

Episode 067

Something He Ate

When Underbite eats part of the Autobots' GroundBridge, the Bee Team pursue the teleporting 'Con through the desert, the forest, and even outer space...​

20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I mean, that would be easy to assume because virtually every criminal the Autobots have encountered have been Decepticons, but their crimes usually seem separate from their status as Decepticons.

On-top of that we have Fracture who, at least before he became an active threat, seemed fine with the Autobots despite being a Decepticon.

So it could be the current Decepticons are just regular Cybertronian citizens with no factional unity, but who feel oppressed under the current government regime and for the crimes of their predecessors that they act out and become predominantly criminals.

But that's just me spit-balling ;).

• Like Like x 1