Talkback: Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon: "Getting to Know You!" [6/17]

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Light Lucario, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Join Ash and Pikachu as they make new friend and explore the Alola region.

Recently:
    Ash attempts to catch a Litten and decides to let it go.
    Lillie takes care of a Pokemon egg to help her with her fear.
    Ash takes part in his first Trial in the Island Challenge.
    Ash defeats Kahuna Hala for his first Grand Trial.
    Ash learns more about Kiawe's family life.
    Kiawe reveals why he wants to become a strong Fire type Trainer.
    Team Rocket makes Beware's cave their secret base.
    James captures a Mareanie.
    Lillie's egg hatches into a Vulpix.

Last Time:

"Racing to a Big Event!"
    Ash learns from Mallow about a famous Pancake Race. Ash and the rest of his classmates decide to enter it. He soon meets the previous champion and her Alolan Raichu. Team Rocket also decides to enter the race for the grand prize. Who will win the race?

This Time:
    "Getting to Know You!"
    Saturday June 17th, 9AM
    Lillie's egg hatches into a Vulpix. However, Lillie is depressed because she can't touch Vulpix despite caring for it as an egg. Ash and his friends decide to help Lillie touch Vulpix. Will Lillie be able to bond with Vulpix?
    Notes:
    The 20th season of Pokemon is here to promote the seventh generation.
    Disney XD is the new home for the Pokemon anime series.
    Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon will be released on November 17th.
    There is a main series Pokemon game in development for the Switch system.
    There will be a three hour marathon on July 1st with six brand new episodes.
    The episodes are available on both Disney XD's website and On Demand section.
    Please avoid using detailed spoilers here. Thank you.

2. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I will try to watch the episode later this week, but this weekend is AwesomeCon so I didn't get a chance yet.

3. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Nice twist on making Lillie unable to touch Pokemon that aren't "Snowy".

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. We already saw the Alola Vulpix hatch last week, but they also had a regular Vulpix hatch to show the two different forms. That was pretty neat and unexpected. I liked how they showed how different the two Vulpix were. The Fire Vulpix was more outgoing, while the Alola Vulpix was a bit more shy or possibly just uninterested in meeting the other Pokemon at first.

I really like how everyone was in favor of Lillie catching Alola Vulpix. She did spend the most time taking care of it as an egg, so it would be only fair for her to catch it. Plus, Lillie becoming a Pokemon Trainer was pretty neat, especially when that really should have happened in the games. She looked so happy over catching Alola Vulpix, even after accidentally hitting Ash on the head with a Pokeball. I really liked that even though she wanted Alola Vulpix and gave it the nickname Snowy, she was still afraid to touch Pokemon. It was sad and she even questioned if she could ever really become a trainer with this fear holding her back. I liked Professor Kukui mentioning that there are different ways for trainers and Pokemon to bond and that Lillie had to decide what relationship she wanted with Snowy.

It was nice that Lillie wanted to take time to get to know Snowy after it hatched. Mallow dragging Ash to follow Lillie was also kind of cute. I really liked the moment where Lillie tells Snowy that she can't stay like this and that she does really care about Snowy. It really made Lillie more endearing and it showed that she still wants to get over her fear. Giving Snowy different food to try out in order to figure out which one it liked the most was sweet too. Even Ash and Mallow were happy about how well Lillie was doing, even if they did lose track of her as a result. Ash sending out Rowlet to find Lillie was a good idea, but it was more focused on food at the time.

Team Rocket going after Lillie and Snowy was expected, but I liked how Lillie was able to get away from them with Snowy's Powered Snow covering the ground. It was also kind of funny how Mimikyu didn't want to battle unless it was against Pikachu. Mimikyu has been shown to be pretty powerful, so that does limit their options if they come across any other Pokemon they want. They'll still going with Mareanie attacking James, but hopefully that won't feel played out like it was in the past. They did get cornered eventually, but it honestly didn't seem like they were that high up. It would still look scary to jump, but compared to the high falls Ash has done in order to save Pokemon, it seemed kind of minor. It was still really sweet how Lillie jumped to save Snowy. Her concern for Snowy overpowered her fear and that allowed for them to finally touch each other. I thought that Pikachu would finish them off, but Bewear showed up.

I really liked Jessie giving those snacks to Bewear. It was a surprisingly sweet moment, especially for Jessie, and it does make sense that she'd want Bewear to know that they appreciate giving them a place to stay. It was cute, even if Bewear's hug looked like it was killing her afterwards.

It was nice to see that Lillie was able to touch Snowy, but I also liked how she was still afraid of other Pokemon touching her. I really like how they've handled Lillie's fear in general thus far. They give her over the top reactions for comedy, but they also emphasizing that her fear is sad and that she does want to overcome it. But I also like that she doesn't have a quick and instant fix. She's just been taking baby steps with touching the egg and now touching Snowy. It's really refreshing for the series considering personal conflicts like this tend to not last that long. It also feels fitting considering that her fear is so intense and she doesn't know exactly how it started. Fears aren't easy to overcome, especially intense ones like Lillie's fear of touching Pokemon, but I like that they're making slow yet steady progress for her conflict. Showing Lillie hug Snowy was a cute way to end the episode. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.