Talkback: Pokemon the Series: SM: Ultra Adventures: "The Young Flame Strikes Back!" [9/15]

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World

Join Ash and Pikachu as they make new friend and explore the Alola region.

Recently:
Ash and his friends team up as the Ultra Guardians to battle Buzzwole.
Ash captures Buzzwole and quickly releases it back into the Ultra Wormhole.
Team Rocket meets an Alolan Meowth.
The Alolan Meowth sneaks its way back to Team Rocket Headquarters.
Ash's Litten evolves into Torracat during its battle against the Masked Royal's Incineroar.
Ash and his friends meet Ilima.
Ilima goes back to Kalos.
Ash catches an Ultra Beast named Poipole.
Ash and his friends help the Ultra Beast Celesteela get back home.

Last Time:
"Rise and Shine, Starship!"

Ash and his friends are working at the local Pokemon Center for the day to get some hands on experience. Unfortunately, Nurse Joy is sick, but they decide to help out with running the Pokemon Center. Will Ash and his friends be able to handle the challenges of running a Pokemon Center together?

This Time:
"The Young Flame Strikes Back!"

Saturday September 15th, 9:00AM
There’s big trouble at Kiawe’s family farm when a shady land developer named Viren drops by and demands the family sell him their land. Viren wants to tear down the farm to build a resort hotel and he refuses to take no for an answer. Kiawe vows to save the farm, but success might hinge on his Marowak having what it takes to defeat Viren’s powerful Electivire in a battle! Will Kiawe be able to save his family's farm with his Marowak?

Notes:
The 21st season of Pokemon is here to keep promoting the seventh generation.
Disney XD is the new home for the Pokemon anime series.
New episodes premiere on Saturday mornings again.
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee will be available for the Switch on November 16th
There is a main series Pokemon game in development for the Switch system.
The episodes are available on both Disney XD's website and On Demand section.
Please avoid using detailed spoilers here. Thank you.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Fan of Linus and Peanuts
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
834 5
Colorado
I didn't know the talk backs moved to this forum, so glad I found it again. This version of Pokemon is good at having different characters lead an episode. Uhh having a Pokemon battle winner keeps or gets the farm seems like a high stake thing , good you can guess the outcome. Kiawe telling his Marowack that he didn't think he could do the move was interesting but they trained well. The rest of the episode was alright the story is one of those "save the_park, house, farm, whatever__" story but was a good story.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I thought that this episode was really good. Marowak trying to train with the Tarous was pretty funny. It would have been nice to see more of Marowak trying to adjust to farm life shortly after it was captured, but it was nice to see a bit of that here. Viren was a clear evil slimy business man right from the start. He couldn't get want he wanted legally, so he used underhanded methods to force Kiawe's parents to give him their farm. Taking away their water supply was pretty dangerous for their Pokemon too.

It was nice how Ash and his friends all volunteered to help out. Kiawe's emotional reaction was pretty sweet too, although Sophocles talking about how he wanted ice cream almost ruined the scene. While some of the characters in the group are still kind of bland individually, they do come off as a believable group of friends, particularly in moments where they come together to help each other, so that helps to balance things out. They were working hard around the farm.

Viren was a pretty huge creep. Not only was he willing to weaken their water supply, but he destroyed some of their property to make it look like the Miltank had run away. Kiawe did a pretty good job fighting against his Electrive. It was sweet that Kiawe was worried about Mimo. He is a caring big brother. I didn't think that Viren would go as far as attack a little girl with his Electrive. Granted, this is Pokemon, so it wouldn't have done any major damage to her, but that's still a pretty low blow. At least Turtornator took the hit to protect her and it was sweet how Mimo was so worried about it. Kiawe trying to use a Z-Move with Marowak for the first time was pretty neat, but it clearly didn't work out. They were lucky that the others arrived so that Viren had to run off himself.

The scene between Kiawe and Marowak later that night was really good. Marowak thought that it was the reason why their Z-Move didn't work. It has been aggressive and eager to jump into fights ever since it was first introduced, so the idea that it wasn't ready to use a Z-Move because of its behavior wasn't out of the question. But it was clear that Kiawe was the reason why it didn't work. You could tell during their first attempt that he was worried and unsure if it was going to work. He had doubts in Marowak not because he didn't have faith in it exactly, but because they hadn't had time to practice before and they were in the middle of a pretty intense situation. It showed that using Z-moves is a team effort and that the trainer does play a key role in pulling them off. He wanted to get stronger with both of his Pokemon and have faith in Marowak.

That scene also made me realize one reason why Kiawe is my favorite SM character. While his focus episodes are few and far in-between, they do tend to emphasize his goal, which is far in a way more interesting than most of the other characters' goals because it actually involves training Pokemon. Mallow and Sophocles' goals don't really involve training Pokemon, Lana just seems content with having Popplio practice making bubbles and Lillie seems fine with just having Snowy as her only Pokemon. Kiawe isn't catching a lot of Pokemon either and they don't focus on his goal too often, but he does train his Pokemon and his determination is believable. It makes him a more likable and engaging character than I would have expected at the start of the series, so that is pretty neat.

It was cool to see Kiawe face off against Viren. His happiness over Mimo cheering him on was cute too. Granted, with their farm on the line, it was obvious how the battle was going to turn out, but it was still pretty solid. Kiawe and Marowak were much better battling together than they were in their earlier match. I especially liked that they kept using Flare Blitz during the Rain Dance, although I'm kind of surprised that the didn't have Electrive use Thunder after starting the Rain Dance. Marowak being able to use Inferno Overdrive was pretty cool. I liked that it was different compared to when Turtornator uses it. It was more like an intense Flare Blitz instead of a large ball of fire.

I didn't think Viren would give up that easily, but I was surprised that Kiawe's father did the reasonable thing of calling the police on him. While the business practices might have been technically legal, he was straight up attacking people on their property in order to force them out, which was painfully illegal. It's still weird to me whenever Ash doesn't remember that the other Office Jennys or Nurse Joys look the same. I'm sure it's for the benefit of the audience and SM usually stays in one place instead, but it was still weird. It was nice to see Kiawe becoming closer with Marowak and protecting his home. Overall, it was a really good episode.