Syfy, David Goyer developing pre-Superman origin series "Krypton"

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Wonder Woman, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

It looks like it is happening:

[​IMG]

Syfy, David Goyer Developing Superman Origin Story 'Krypton' - The Hollywood Reporter

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/08/krypton/
    http://collider.com/krypton-superma...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial, Collider 10/23,

#1 Wonder Woman, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
  2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I'll watch this out of obligation, but I have no interest in stories of Krypton that are about Superman's grandfather, or the time period of his life they pick for the setting. In assorted media when it comes to Krypton, we get references to the planet's history regarding a war/violent past before they became the civilization when Superman was born. So maybe they're looking into that as a premise for the show. I guess maybe they could explore the origins of Brainiac, and the maybe other cosmic DC characters/franchises.

Possibly my biggest "concern" is what will Krypton look like? The Donner Krypton is boring, and the planet doesn't even look like it can support life. The Man Of Steel Krypton just looks like every other sci-fi film made in this century. I'm hoping they do the silver age Krypton, which I think has lots of visual potential for live action.

I guess the number one question is, is this show stand alone or a prequel to Man Of Steel?

3. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

After seeing Man of Steel, people are still willing to let Gower near Superman?

I can't see this getting past the pilot, to be blunt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

If it's anything like Krypton from MOS, my interest is at zero, and I don't think anyone wants Gotham, Superman style.

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I don't even want Gotham.

This "Show set in a comic book super hero world, minus the super heroes" is a trend that I won't miss after it's gone.

6. k.s.

k.s. Member

In all honesty, though, Superman and Batman are the only 2 superheroes that have both a stong rogues gallery and supporting cast to do this for an entire series. Maybe Green Lantern if you base the show in space, but even then the premise wouldn't last long. So I don't think we'll see any more after this

The idea sounds nice, but I don't see it going very far. At least with Gotham, you're able to explore Gordon, the rogues gallery, and all the other cops. With this one, the only people on krypton anyone cares about are jor-el, zod, maybe brainiac if he's kryptonian again, and maybe lara. That's not a lot to work with - and even worse, the show wants to focus on jor-el's father, so we probably wouldn't see any recognizable names for a while

7. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Oh boy. Can't wait for Bruce Wayne second cousin twice remove to get his own series explaining how he handles life after moving from Florida to Gotham. It sure gonna be fun ride.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously DC Comics? Superman grandfather ? At least when Krypto got his own show it made sense. This.... this is just stupid.

8. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

This is an waste of time.

9. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

Spider-Man could fit into this category as well. I'm still not interested in seeing anymore shows like this, though.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess that they wanted to do a Gotham type of show for Superman. While I haven't seen Gotham and can't speak on its quality either way, doing a show focusing on Gordon and Batman's rouge gallery before he became Batman made sense. There is a lot that they could explore in the show that could potentially make the premise work due to the strong supportive cast and interesting villains in Batman's rouge gallery. There aren't really too many characters from Krypton to make the same general premise work.

11. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

Wow, I didn't think they'd go through with this. Syfy passed on Booster Gold (I'm assuming) but they're interested in this? Seriously?

Gotham suffers from the worst case of prequelitis I've ever seen (the guy who's going to be the Riddler likes riddles, get it?!?). Maybe this show won't suffer for it as badly, but then again, I'm just not seeing the material to work with here to actually sustain a TV series.

12. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Krypton, eh? Meh.

Goyer is the man behind Constantine, and can't get more than 13 eps from NBC. This from the guy who tried to convert Blade into a series for Spike, and watched it bomb out. At least he keeps trying. And what was wrong with Goyer's involvement with Man of Steel last year, hm? The guy's a fan.

13. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

Many folks hated Man of Steel and partially blame Goyer for ruining Superman for a whole generation of kids who'll have to grow up with that murderous Ultraman movie thinking that's what Superman is supposed to be like, making out in a cloud of human ashes, letting his father and nearly everyone else die, destroying a guy's livelyhood just because he was kind of a jerk, and whatnot.

14. gmster

gmster Active Member

People are still harping on about that truck scene? Jesus Christ.

15. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

As for Gower and Superman... Find any defining characteristic of Superman in a comic/TV show/cartoon, literally, the things that make Superman, Superman. Now look to see how they completely go against it in Man of Steel and replace it with a boring, no note character.

Raised by a kind farmer and his wife? The film turn his parents into paranoid fools, and Clark becomes a coward for failing to save his Father. Where exactly does Clark get his courage to protect people from? Jonathan seems to suggest letting innocent kids drown is an acceptable sacrifice.

Went on to become Earths Greatest Protector? The film has a death count of thousands, while Superman punches Zod a lot (in some really fake looking CG battles)

Disguised as a mild mannered reporter? This was completely ignored until the last scene, completely ignoring Clark Kent... The human, relatable part of Superman.

Being a symbol of hope? Nope, let's snap the villains neck instead.

I could go on, but you get the point. Gower doesn't know jack about Superman. His recent media comments suggest he isn't the authority of comic books he likes to believe he if.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

Then it actually makes sense how he lets thousands of people die later on.

Back to the topic though, I don't even see how Goyer's Krypton can be done on a Syfy budget.

17. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

Krypton will probably just be an advanced alien civilization, since there won't be any superpowers that shouldn't be too hard to pull off. This is actually becoming less interesting the more that I think about it.

18. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

Me and a lot of other don't want this overrated David Goyer near Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice & Justice League, it'll be better with out him.

19. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

It sounds really boring which is probably why it's on Syfy than a more prominent network.

I'd rather see a show about Lois and Lex in a pre-Superman Metropolis than a Krypton show.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1