"Superman/Batman ('Man of Steel' Sequel)" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by dmxx116, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

Honestly, I always had issues with Superman II. The Supes I know, while he'd be tempted, wouldn't give up his powers for selfish reasons, like being with Lois. Nor would the Kansas farm boy boyscout that is Clark, have premarital sex. One thing I always liked about Lois and Clark (the TV show) is that Clark waited until marriage. Seemed like the Superman thing to do.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This. People act like Superman in Superman II was a saint, while bashing the MoS version. Are people so blinded by nostalgia?

3. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

We're not blinded by nostalgia. We're just sick of how bleak and drepressing WB decides to interpret superheroes these days

A comic Snyder SHOULD read was Secret origins

4. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

They're not touching Johns with a 10 ft poll after that Green Lantern movie. (Not that it was his fault, but I'd think WB would see it that way.)

5. JLU Dude

JLU Dude Active Member

As with Bryne's Man of Steel and Morrison's All-Star, from what I understand, he read that, too with elements of it making their ways into MoS (including the scene with Jonathan confronting a young Clark after Clark learns the truth about his being an alien). And anyway, that was written by Geoff Johns, who's made it pretty clear with a lot of his writing that he can't let go off the past and accept things have changed, given a good chunk of his run was restoring elements of Pre-Crisis and importing elements from the Revee movies.

6. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Actually, the Secret Origins graphic novel I have features an introduction by David S. Goyer. He actually mentions that he is about to start writing a new Superman movie (This was before Man of Steel) and promises to use Secret Origins as a basis for the movie.

7. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Superman II was just a more enjoyable movie, overall. Nostalgia doesn't figure into my feeling the way that I do.

I'm not going to pretend that Superman: The Movie and Superman II were flawless movies, because I know that they weren't. Nor am I suggesting that the Christopher Reeve Superman should be the be all, end all approach to making a Supes film. However, despite their flaws the first 2 Reeve Superman movies were enjoyable and both had plenty of fun moments, which is something that Man of Steel was sorely lacking. Also the Reeve movies never tried to "Batmanify" the character, which is definitely the wrong approach to take when directing a Superman film.

8. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

The question here's why don't directors of today seem to take a hint

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Because there's no single person in charge of these films to force them to.

The problems surrounding the Man of Steel sequel are the same problems surrounding WB/DC as a whole: that there isn't one individual at the helm calling the shots, and there's no feeling of solidarity. Warner is run like a free-for-all, a mad scramble of numerous execs who decide things by committee, each with their own personal agendas and none of them willing to step up and take charge or responsibility for the goings-on at the studio. It's a assemblage of tribes and factions with no chief. That's why DC is the mess that it is right now.

Marvel and Disney have a clear-cut plan of action with the MCU and they've been sticking to it, and furthermore there's a person at the helm, Kevin Feige, who's been masterminding and guiding the whole thing; that's why it's been working. WB and DC are more or less playing things by ear, deciding things as they go along, tossing ideas at a dartboard and seeing what sticks. No one is willing to be 'The Guy' and lay out a game plan for everyone else to follow.

10. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Despite a list we can compile of examples of when Superman previously killed, doesn't make it ok. Superman doesn't kill. Especially when you have your villain in a headlock, and can easily wrestle your other arm free and just cover his eyes. Superman killing Zod doesn't bother me as much as everyone else because there was problems with Man Of Steel before we even get to that scene. After Superman kills him, it's anti climatic. We go through everything that led up to it, and after it I'm thinking "That's it? He just simply kills him?". Superman outsmarts Zod and the gang in Superman II. Just because Superman feels remorse for killing Zod, doesn't make it OK. If he is legitimately 100% justified in killing Zod, it's still not ok. All everyone has been talking about since the release of Man Of Steel is this one scene. Zack Snyder had to answer for it/address it. David Goyer had to answer for it/address it. Christopher Nolan had to answer for it/address it. I think that's a legitimate problem here, and I don't think I'll ever hear a satisfying answer on the matter because when you get right down to it, Superman does not kill (despite previous legit examples of him killing).

We have legitimate previous examples of Batman using a gun, but Batman doesn't use guns. At this point I think it's a safe bet that Batman will NEVER EVER be seen on live action film using a gun and shooting at enemies with an intent to kill or wound. If its ok for Superman to kill Zod in Man Of Steel, then it should be ok for Ben Affleck as Batman to shoot someone with a legitimate gun (not a "bat-gun").

11. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Please don't say that you might give them ideas

12. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Yeah, if anyone at WB cared what I had to say and took it under any serious consideration, we would have gotten a Superman Returns sequel. So, yeah. Ha.

13. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I think Snyder (freaking running zombies! Really? No wonder the WALKING Dead is so successful) is one of those directors as of late who try hard to update and reenvision things without any regard to the orginal source material. Someone earlier said that Superman II was just more enjoyable. The thing about alot of these films nowadays is they just are not. I can compare Total Recall to it's original as well as the recent Robocop (mind you I have not personally seen the film but I am basing the opinion on people I know as well as critics). They aren't nearly as fun as the original films. I actually should use the word "entertaining" rather than just "fun". This is something that Hollywood was proud of by making you laugh, cry, and get scared, a rollercoaster of emotions in one film.

While these modern films do try that, they are just not connecting with everyone. What the world needs right now is a Steven Speilberg sci-fi film, especially to show these youngins how its done.

14. Spideyzilla

There are a group of movies that are doing just that: the Marvel movies, especially The Avengers. Are they all perfect? No. But they are fun, they have humour, they have likeable characters who we care about. I think the fact Marvel understands how to do this is why DC is so far behind. I have to say, I'm a massive Batman fan, but I just have no real anticipation for this.

15. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Precisely. The Marvel live action movies work because they typically contain a mixture of action, comedy and drama. They're an enjoyable experience, unlike the complete and utter joylessness that was Man of Steel.

And as much as I want to believe that DC is going to turn things around, I just can't make myself anticipate Batman VS Superman, especially if it's going to be mostly about Batman. I like Batman, but we can't miss the character if he never goes away. I'm tired of the DC universe being The Adventures of Batman....with Some Help from His Friends The Justice League. I think that DC and Warner Brothers should stop using the Bat as a crutch to lean on and focus on some of their other properties for a change.

#475 Goldstar Neo, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  16. Spideyzilla

Here's the thing: it'd be nice for DC to rely on some of the other characters like we want but it always blows up in their faces. Their first attempt to take a crack at Marvel was Green Lantern. But two things happened that DC didn't expect: 1) Green Lantern absolutely sucked 2) Green Lantern bombed at the box office. Green Lantern did want to be a bit more light hearted and fun, while still being somewhat serious: essentially it was a Marvel movie with a terrible script. So DC sees Green Lantern is not going to start their universe, so they turn to Superman. But they did it wrong: rather than making something fun, they looked to their only superhero success, those being the Dark Knight movies. They had been praised for being dark and serious, so DC decides Superman needs to be dark and serious. DC never stopped to think and try to develop Superman as its own movie, and they produced a joyless movie that is simply unpleasant to watch, and all indications show that the next one is not going to be an improvement. Not to mention, the fact they brought back Snyder and Goyer is not going to help at all. Sorry, but I don't see DC getting its act together anytime soon.

17. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Hi Cyborg. Well, Victor. I guess he'll be Cyborg later.

19. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Doesn't seem like bad casting. He certainly looks the part, and if he can play Ali, why not Cyborg?

I haven't had much enthusiasm for this movie since the Eisenberg casting but I'm still hoping for the best, or at least hoping against the worst.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.