1. Enter for a chance to win the Captain America Blaster Shield and two POP Vinyl figures from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

Soooo..... Batman won't show up this time? It feels surreal remembering that Suicide Squad had a movie and might be a brand that can sell an animated movie on its own now. It's very nice to see Bronze Tiger in the mix. The movies haven't all been great but I always like seeing a story from the post-Flashpoint Paradox continuity.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, they confirmed Batman won't appear in this movie. I find it even more interesting this is the first feature in a while where nobody from the Bat-Family shows up (The Judas Contract still had Robin & Nightwing).

And honestly, they are focusing on making films about super heroes. This is just one movie as opposed to the Batman and Superman features this year, not counting any other movies that will be released soon (the LEGO stuff, Batman Ninja, DC Super Hero Girls), or already released (Scooby & Batman).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I am kind of surprised we're not seeing Batman and Joker in flashbacks, but if there aren't any that would make this film more distinctive from the last few Suicide Squad movies...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

I don't really see a problem with them putting out a Suicide Squad movie. I mean, if anything, it's showing that they're willing to take risks with the line (I.E a movie without Batman in it) and actually focus on heroes who aren't part of the Bat-Family or Justice League. I'm really down for this movie based on that alone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

Yeah Suicide Squad as both a concept and a team doesn't need Batman and/or Joker to bring in the audience, we already have a bunch of colorful supervillians bringing in gorey action and dark comedy, that on to itself should bring in attention

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I suspect corporate mandate originated around 2014 to start exploring more villain starring titles as a means to get a leg up on the competition, Marvel. You can see it with a Suicide Squad movie so early into the new live action movie canon, them thinking of doing others like Joker and Black Adam live action movies or with a digital Harley Quinn animated series. We know it takes about 2 hours or so to make these DTV movies and for the live action Squad movie, Ayer was brought in in Fall 2014 and principal started in Spring 2015 for a Fall 2016 release. So this animated movie was theoretically greenlit around Early to Spring 2016 when they were still championing the live action movie with no idea of final ticket sales and audience reactions. And although the live action didn't perform to expectations, the mandate continued on.

But blah. The first trailer. Did its job. Introduced the main cast, some of the story, a peak at the level of violence, and some of the antagonists. Harley is a killer. No shocker there. But whoever edited the trailer together, left two clues about the mystical object. One, before Harley's title card she leaps up. In the b.g. are what appears to be a temple entrance, a male statue, and columns with Egyptian hieroglyphics. Then before Waller introduces the RV, on her big screen is the image of an ankh.

Here comes the theory on my part. During press for Justice League Dark, on February 5, 2017, around 29:34-30:03, James Tucker teased Dr. Fate may show up sooner than a hypothetical Justice League Dark 2. In Justice League Dark, itself, the Helmet of Fate was among the items kept in the House of Mystery by Constantine, hence Tucker being asked about Fate. Now, in this trailer, two Egyptian clues. DC comics lore - the Amulet of Anubis. An Egyptian artifact of great power but used in ancient times to induce mind control on a legion of slaves only to be confiscated by Nabu and later one of the times worn by Dr. Fate. And the statue in Harley's scene could be a depiction of Nabu himself. But granted there are a bunch of other possible things like the Amulet of Hatshepsut tied to Isis or the Orb of Ra tied to Metamorpho, I think they could be working on a subtle build up to Dr. Fate appearing in the movie canon.

• Like Like x 4
    #86 Yojimbo, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Active Member

Is hatred/bigotry against an entire group of people tolerated in this forum?

8. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Folks, as per forum rules (and since it's very obvious where this is going), let's keep the politics out of this. There's interesting thoughts and discussion here, but let's keep it all within forum rules. Thank you.

Let's get back to Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dallas Kinard

Can that hate speech please be removed first? I am offended by it and would like it removed please.

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Did anyone else notice that Harley's makeup seems incomplete on her right eye o_O?

11. James Harvey

Please report the post and moderators will take care of it. Thanks!

Now, again, back to the discussion, please!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dallas Kinard

Excellent, thank you! Anyway, this film seems a bit too similar to Assault On Arkham for me. But that may be a good thing because I LOVED that movie.

• Like Like x 2
  13. James Harvey

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced that Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay will hit April 10, 2018 to Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD, and March 27, 2018 to Digital HD. Full press details are up at The World's Finest!

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
  14. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

I am guessing this will get a wondercon premiere as well March 25-27

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

It's interested to see that no bonus episodes from the DC Vault were listed. I'm actually okay with that since it probably would've been a repeat of "Task Force X" from Justice League Unlimited plus there's more room for other features, I imagine. Another commentary following Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, a sneak peek and three featurettes? I'm sold!

The trailer looks pretty cool and I enjoy the voice actors in their roles. It's really cool to see all the villains list for this movie. It reminds me of Batman: Bad Blood and it's plethora of villains. I was hoping to see Deathstroke, Katana and Black Manta in this movie but Copperhead is an interesting choice. Definitely looks good to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Dude, I was agreeing with you. One of the forum members made a joke about how the Suicide Squad shot a cop because the Squad were good guys and I was saying that was in bad taste. I provided my liberal and cop-hating bonafides merely to prove that even I think that was miles across the line of acceptable dialogue.

Cops have a tough job. I respect that, even if on the whole I hate and distrust them. But cops are tough enough to live with my hatred. I just don't think joking about shooting them is in any way appropriate.

17. Dallas Kinard

Please keep your hatred to yourself and stay on topic.

18. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I. WAS. AGREEING. WITH YOU

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. James Harvey

Last time - stop this now. If you want to take this off-topic personal discussion to private messages and such, go for it. Not in thread. Understood? Good.

Now, for the last time, back on topic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

It seems as though Bronze Tiger will have a bit of a moral code. I remember not being too keen on seeing him depicted as just a bad guy with martial arts skills the last time I saw him on screen (Arrow).

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.