"Static Shock: The Complete Third Season" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jan 30, 2018.

?

Rate and Comment on this DVD Release!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The third season of Static Shock makes its home video debut courtesy of Warner Archive!

[​IMG]
    Static Shock: The Complete Third Season
    Studio:
    Warner Archive
    Available to Order: January 30, 2018

Synopsis: Static Shock's third season arrives dynamically double-charged as a new hero joins Static in his fight to protect Dakota, while the rookie hero demonstrates big-league-level experience. Virgil's journey to the hero elites begins with a Bat-bang as Static travels to Gotham City in pursuit of a Bang Baby that's fallen in with some seductively sinister "big sisters" - the Gotham City sirens Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn. But a Batman (and Alfred) assist is waiting in the wings. Then, Richie's knack for invention is revealed to be a Bang Baby by-product, and Richie becomes the high-tech hero Gear. But that's just the start to a season that sees Static in Africa alongside African super hero Anansi, plus our hero battling Brainiac alongside the Justice League and tackling Toyman with Big Blue himself, Superman. The season's end sees Static shaken to the core as he travels to the recent past to revisit the night he lost his mother.

Episodes: Hard As Nails, Gear, Static in Africa, Shebang, The Usual Suspect, A League Of Their Own, Part 1, A League Of Their Own, Part 2, Showtime, Romeo in the Mix, Toys In The Hood, The Parent Trap, Flashback, Blast From The Past

Bonus Episode: Superman: The Animated Series "Obsession"

Discuss This DVD!

This thread is only for actual discussion of the DVD release. Please check out the The DC Animation Forum Talkback Collection Thread to access talkbacks for every episode of Static Shock, and also check out the related links below.

Related Discussion:
    -Static Shock: The Complete Second Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Static Shock: The Complete First Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion. Please keep your posts the thoughtful, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material. We will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. Please keep discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Static Shock's third season was a high point for me in which I looked fondly back on prior to this release. Static's world began to expand - visiting Gotham City and going on vacation to Africa with his family - but also in the figurative sense. Static's crime fighting partnership becomes full circle as Richie Foley goes from the 'man in the chair' to a Bang Baby superhero named Gear, he further develops his friendship with Batman and they learn each others' secret identities, works with the Justice League to save the world from heavy-hitter villain Brainiac, and teams up with Superman against Toyman. The history of the show also expands as Static learns about his heritage in Ghana and meets the famous African superhero Anansi, becomes something of a legacy super hero when he meets Soul Power and Sparky, and the element of time travel is explored when Static meets his late mother Jean Hawkins on the night of her death during the Dakota Riots.

Like Batman Beyond, the series correctly, in my humble opinion, shifts away from high school and focuses more heavily on Static and Gear's exploits across Dakota. But something I was on the fence about is the shift from spotlight on the supporting cast to the guest stars. Robert Hawkins is reduced to a background character with some highlights in "Static in Africa" and "Blast from the Past" as is Sharon whose amusing banter with Virgil is dialed back aside from an occasional incident like "The Usual Suspect". Likewise, Frieda and Daisy are background characters used to sometimes move an episode's plot along like "Shebang", "Romeo in the Mix" or "Toys in the Hood". I admit time has not dulled my low opinion of Shebang and Lil Romeo's episodes but all together, season three of Static Shock was some of the best stories of the series and the step up in the quality of animation was a boon.

For those wondering about the details, collection uses a clear DVD case as opposed to the black cases used for seasons one and two. The interior sports the flip arm instead of the type of case where disc 1 and 2 were semi-overlain atop each other in previous releases. The cover art is bit too copy-paste in lieu of using old season 3 promo art but these Archive releases are done on a limited budget. The collection also glaringly does not have a subtitle track like the previous seasons (Argh!). There is a bonus episode on disc two, the "Obsession" episode of Superman: The Animated Series which is billed appropriately as the prequel to "Toys in the Hood" and concluding the story of Toyman and Darcy Mason. I'm hoping this means they may include at least the Justice League Unlimited season one finale "The Once and Future Thing" Part Two in a hopefully happening Static Shock The Complete Fourth Season release later this year. Though it would have been nice to have a retrospective with some of the cast and crew or like on the YJ Invasion Bluray a commentary track instead, but again I guess the budget rears its ugly head and it is appreciated they were able to squeeze something extra.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Active Member

What about the A/V presentation?

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

To clarify, you mean is it fullscreen, widescreen, etc.? Fullscreen 4x3 1:33:1.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Dallas Kinard

I mean how is the video quality? I noticed Season 2 seemed a tad bit more grainy/compressed looking than season 1.

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, ok. I hadn't thought of that. I'll pop in a disc from each season and compare then get back to you on that later today. Off the top of my head, the quality was very good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dallas Kinard

Awesome! I can't wait to see screenshots on WF of the crossovers in DVD quality!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not really a A/V expert but after watching an episode from each release, season 3 is the best so far. Some of the fight scenes might have shown signs of compression. But I think season 3 might have been when they changed to digital for animating episodes so overall it was really good on my laptop and TV.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dallas Kinard

I believe the entire series was colored digitally, but starting with "The Big Leagues", every episode after - following production order - was "revamped" in appearance with better detail, animation and shading to better line up with the rest of the DCAU in appearance and overall quality.

10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

11. Dallas Kinard

Will WF be posting a review for this with Screencaps?

12. James Harvey

Once I receive either my review copy or purchased copy - whichever arrives first - it will indeed be reviewed here, with screengrabs to follow as soon as I'm able.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dallas Kinard

So I've watched about 6 episodes (in production order) and I have to say the quality is pretty darn good for DVD. Of course Blu Ray would be ideal, but I'm just so happy to finally own this series, especially this excellent season! Can't wait for season 4 to complete our DCAU collections!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. James Harvey

For those interested, The World's Finest has published its review of the Static Shock: The Complete Third Season DVD release. Click here to check it out!

Who else has picked up this release?

• Like Like x 5
  15. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I have it. Just haven't watched it yet.

• Informative Informative x 1