"Star Trek" General Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Antiyonder, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

Some DC stories were reprinted by IDW. This page has a pretty good listing, though it doesn't specify exactly what issues are in each volume. I have a pretty good idea, though.

Star Trek Archives Vol 1: I think this reprints issues from the first DC Star Trek run.

Vol 2: This collects DC's STTNG #47-50: "The Worst of Both Worlds." (It also contains IDW's Alien Spotlight: Borg, which was a really interesting story with fantastic art.)

Vol 3: This collects DC's Star Trek Volume 2 #49-50. I think it also collects two annuals: Star Trek Volume 2 Annual 6 and STTNG Annual 6, a two-part crossover called "Convergence." Those are the only stories I can remember Gary Seven appearing in. Also, out of these four issues, three of them are double-sized, so this book effectively has seven issues worth of material.

Vol 4: This has the 3-part "Trial of James T. Kirk" from ST Vol 2 #10-12. There are three other issues in it, which I'd have to guess are three issues out of #1-9 that set up the trial arc. Might be "Not...Sweeney!", as that's the 3-parter immediately preceding the trial.

Vols 5 and 6: Not sure what these have. The titles sound somewhat familiar, but I can't place them.

Unlimited #7 wasn't as good a crew-crossover as the "Convergence" story mentioned earlier. (Even though the crews never actually interacted in "Convergence.") It's got an interesting framework; Q and Trelaine making a gentlemen's wager and using the Enterprise crews as the pawns. I didn't mind it. Seeing how Picard and Kirk function with swapped crews was interesting, but it has a very fan-fictiony taste. There's no real weight to the story. It's more take-it-or-leave-it.

#10 was a nice issue for the series to end on. It's not really close to the DS9 episode pitch, which IMO was disappointing, because I liked the idea of the planet being full of Trekkies played for comic relief. In this story, which is more serious than humorous, they've militarized their society based on their idea of the 23rd-century Starfleet and the Iotans plan to use the Enterprise-E to take on the Federation and make them uphold Kirk's promise for "a piece of the action." The crew comes up with a clever way of solving the conflict.

Marvel's TMP adaptation circa 1980 is a half-hearted, clumsily put-together book and not worth a read. DC's STVI adaptation is pretty much the same as the movie. DC's Generations adaptation includes the space-diving sequence cut out of the final film, but is otherwise the same. I haven't read any of the other adaptations so I can't weigh in on those. The adaptations do cut out extraneous parts of the story, since they have only so many pages to work with. Nothing vital is lost, though, and depending on your familiarity with the movies, you might not even notice anything's missing.

2. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

This next question is for "ST: Countdown" readers:

Is Worf dead? Or are the comics/novels set later than Countdown which depict him still alive and kicking? I remember seeing an old Worf in a TNG episode, but I think that was an alternate universe/future.

3. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Each year from 2006-2009 has had at least 1 ST Manga coming out. Last years was Next Generation. That said, is there any word on when/if anymore ST:TNG will be out?

4. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

5. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

There's a particularly nice amendment to a couple of Kirk's lines in the Star Trek V adaptation, where his first scripted line is changed from "I lost a brother once..." to "I lost two brothers once...", complete with a brief 'appearance' from the oft-forgotten Sam Kirk.

I don't know if that was a creation of the comic's writer (Peter David in this case), or if it was originally intended to be in the movie and then made simpler for general audiences who would doubtless be unaware that Kirk literally had an older brother.

6. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

This is interesting...I felt disappointed it's not a DC hero group that I like, but thinking more about it, we're so used to crossovers where people from our era meet the "future" Enterprise crew, this will be a unique crossover where the Enterprise crew will be visited by a group from even further in the future.

Interesting...I too, forgot all about Sam. Peter David does know his Trek lore, that's for sure. But in this case I think I prefer the film version of the line. Changing the line to include Sam complicates Kirk's sentiment. Also, he says he lost "a" brother once, he doesn't specifically say that brother was the only brother he ever had. The film line isn't exactly inaccurate, it just omits his real brother. (Even if the screenwriters did make an unintentional error.)

7. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

8. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

9. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

The TOS crew met the X-Men and Legion of Super Heroes. Even the crew from TNG had some X-Men action. Now the rebooted version of the TOS crew get into the crossover action with Green Lantern.

Note: Covers and story from the following...
    - http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/star-trekgreen-lantern-the-spectrum-war-1-idw-2015
    - http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/star-trekgreen-lantern-the-spectrum-war-2-idw-2015
    - http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/star-trekgreen-lantern-3-idw-2015
    - http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/star-trekgreen-lantern-the-spectrum-war-4-idw-2015

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Story: Mike Johnson
    Art: Angel Hernandez

Story #1: Two iconic franchises collide for the blockbuster crossover event of 2015! The crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise meets the Green Lantern Corps for the first time in an all-new adventure that spans the cosmos! Don't miss the thrilling first chapter of THE SPECTRUM WAR, as Kirk and Spock make a most unusual discovery on a lost world... igniting events that will change the fate of empires!

Story #2: The comics crossover event of 2015 continues here! Hal Jordan meets Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise for the first time as six Lantern rings choose new bearers! But which Trekcharacters - and which alien races - will be selected? Iconic franchises collide for the first time in this all-new galaxy-spanning epic!

Story #3: The blockbuster crossover event of 2015 continues here, as the galaxy explodes in a Lantern-fueled war between the Federation and its enemies! Captain Kirk and the ring-bearing crew of the Enterprise must join forces with Hal Jordan to prevent the loss of entire civilizations... as the identity of the villain behind it all is revealed!

Story #4: The crossover event of 2015 continues here, as Starfleet and the Green Lantern Corps team up in the middle of a ring-powered galactic war! The evil Nekron has arrived in the Star Trek universe... with his eye on resurrecting the planet Vulcan itself! Don't miss out on the latest chapter of this franchise-spanning epic!

Comments?

10. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

Anyway, like with The Shrinking Man mini-series which I had to wait due to other purchases, I haven't picked up an issue of the ST/GL crossover yet, but will be doing a major catch up tomorrow.

That said, I recommend checking it out if you have been reading the ongoing which is based on the 2009 and 2013 films as Mike Johnson has done both the main series and crossover. And if you haven't read the main series, it's pretty good.

The writer manages to give it more of a Star Trek feel whereas some have said the recent films feel more like Star Wars with the Trek elements blended in. Plus, after the first six issues, the comic manages to find that balance between respecting the original series, while not being a mere copy of it with minor difference. #21-23 infact (which is placed after both Star Trek Into Darkness and it's comic book prequel) introduces Pon Farr to the rebooted continuity, but the story isn't say an adaption of Amok Time.