Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron Netflix Series

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by BeanoMaster, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

April Fools?

2. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

No, the article was published yesterday, this isn't really funny and Kidscreen is not the sort of website that would do an April Fools joke.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Troy Troodon

So, after the previous trailer that was leaked earlier was removed, Netflix finally put up a new official trailer for their next Dreamworks series, Spirit Riding Free.

Set in the 19th Century, this story centers around a new character named Lucky, her two new friends and Spirit, a wild mustang who, is confirmed to actually be a long descendant of the original character from the movie, so this is set in continuity apparently.

And you know... this actually doesn't seem that bad now. Well, okay it'd gonna pale in comparison to the original, Stallion of the Cimarron, but at least it doesn't look too cutesy and kiddy (even though it is still there)

I know it's still too early to judge the series just from first impressions alone, so I'll still give it chance; I'm just gonna keep my expectations low, but who knows maybe it'll actually be good, maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see.

4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Phew, there is at least one moustache. There might be hope after all!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Meh, it still looks horrible. Mostly the poor animation kills it for me.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It doesn't look too bad, but the trailer kind of gave off a generic vibe to me. I'm not really sure if this needed to be connected the the Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron movie based on this premise. I was happy that they wanted to give some attention to Spirit and I still am, but the premise could work with pretty much any wild horse, regardless of being related to the one from the movie.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

This might be one of the more ill-advised western animation resurrections of late. Take a cult, gender neutral, family film known for its beautiful hand drawn animation and make it into a clunky CG Horseland that has literally nothing to do with the film? Has DreamWorks really run out of Classic Media IPs to revive?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't really mind the CGI, although I can see how the humans look clunky at least, but the fact that this seems to have little to do with the actual film beyond the horse being a descendant of the original Spirit is pretty weak. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad if the main character was a descendant of Little Creek, the Native American character from the movie, which I suppose could still be possible, but it does remind me of what I saw of Horseland way more than Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron.

9. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

http://collider.com/spirit-riding-free-review-netflix/

I found this review for Spirit Riding Free, pretty much saying that the show is good even with some rough edges. It also shows the voice cast for the series, which is composed of Amber Frank (The Haunted Hathaways), Sydney Park, Bailey Gambertoglio (Bubble Guppies, Whisker Haven Tales With Palace Pets), Darcy Rose Byrnes (Legend Of Korra, Sofia The First), Nolan North, and Kari Wahlgren.

10. Troy Troodon

I say we judge the series when it actually comes out.

11. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Okay can anyone tell me who is voicing who? Who is Kari Wahlgreen voicing?

This series has very little in common with this movie from what I hear, and hearing the plot of the movie. It sounds similar to episode 3 of Little Witch Academia "Don't Stop Me Now" which is a lot more than I can say for this series.

Speaking of Little Witch Academia, dam it Neflix when it coming out, the first season ended on April 2nd, we should have an announcement soon.

#51 zoombie, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  12. Troy Troodon

Well'p, I watched the first season of, Spirit: Riding Free (just six episodes so it's an easy watch) and my thoughts are as followed--

I think this show, as it's own product, is okay... at best! The animation is okay, the voice acting is okay, the music is okay, and the character (for the most part) are also okay.

For me the real problem with this show is not the animation or the characters, it's the premise, the setting for this series; basically it's Dreamwork's Horseland or Saddle Club, just something about horsemanship that's made specifically to cater to little girls between Kindergarten and the 4th Grade.

Not that it's bad thing, but after having seen the entire series already, I'm afraid to say that there's really nothing interesting about this particular series at all.

That's kind'a the problem with most of DW's animated shows, they're not terrible (though it depends how you see it) but they're just not interesting; and this show is no different; the stories aren't interesting, the setting isn't interesting, and the characters especially are not interesting; Dawn of the Croods, not bad but not interesting, Peabody and Sherman, not bad but not interesting, even Trollhunters which again isn't bad but it's still not interesting; and Spirit: Riding Free is no exception, the stories aren't interesting, setting isn't interesting, and the characters especially aren't interesting; there's the main problem with the series, it's harmless but just not interesting!

If there is a second season to follow, I'd be fine with that so long as they make the show more interesting to get audiences more invested, otherwise they should take this experiment as a lesson on how not to adapt a film property into another product.

6/10

Lucky's Aunt.

• Like Like x 2
  13. zoombie

Well I seen a few episodes, and like the previous poster said, it is not bad, but not great. It is okay. A few things of note, we doing the whole parent dating the teacher, we already saw that done more interesting in Trollhunters. It is has been done, speaking of which I say this about Maricela, she is better than Steve. I am hoping she gets some development, but still already better than Steve.

Now than my favorite character has got to be Abigail, she is best girl. The question I got when does this show take place, in our time or not? Is this town just so old fashion I don't get it.

I am glad it is only 6 episodes, I can binge watch 6 episodes, but this is not a show I am going to invest enough time to binge watch 13 or 26 episodes. A wise choice Netflix.

14. zoombie

Dam got to admit season 2 or season 1 part 2 (BTW released the same day as season 4 of Bojack Horseman, there is some irony there) was really good. And they really left us on a cliffhanger and makes you want more.

Spirit has been sold to auction thanks to that jerk Graysen.

Other notes, we got some new characters including a possible love interest for Lucky though he is very bland. We got Lucky's cousin is a Huckaberry Fin type character. Lucky discovers her dad is dating her teacher and seems to come to terms to that. And we got some development from characters like Maricela and especially aunt Korra.

This season was a improvement over the first one.