"Sonic The Hedgehog" Comic Book Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Cool Blue, Feb 14, 2004.

?

Rate And Comment!

1. *****

70.8%
  2. ****1/2

8.3%
  3. ****

4.2%
  4. ***1/2

8.3%
  5. ***

4.2%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

4.2%
  1. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Super Sonic has been evil ever since his first apperance in issue 7. It wasn't a one-off gimmick and some of STC's best stories came from it.

A US comic is different from a UK comic in the covers area. US comics will usually go with something that reflects the story inside wheras UK ones favour more generic ones. A good cover is important but a bad one doesn't ruin whats behind it.

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

That's BS. Marvel UK's Doctor Who comic had covers reflecting the plotline.

3. Chad Bonin

Chad Bonin a.k.a. Knux Five
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Well yeah, but to the average consumer, they might not want to pick up a "generic" cover. The shot of Sonic with Team Sigma (Or whatever Station Square's troops) looking like a boy band wouldn't real anyone in, but Sally crying over Sonic's grave with him behind her might.

4. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

First of all- calm down! We're talking about comics here, there's no need for you to act like I've just shot your mother.

How old are Dr Who comics? A few decades I'd imagine. I think someone who LIVES IN ENGLAND has at least some idea of what our comics are like. I said the covers FAVOUR generic images, I didn't say that was true for every single comic that comes out of this country.

5. Lord Dalek

Or the one where
    Sally gets robotosized and let's not forget issues 50 and 75
    . Oh, and HellCat, Archie has had it's own share of generic humor covers.

6. Chad Bonin

I don't see why they'd favor generic ones; story-based ones are notable at a glance, and would sell better.

What was on the cover of 101? Knuckles going psycho green, blowing away Sonic and Dr. Robotnik as he rewrites the world. What was on the Sandblast City arc covers? Uh... Sonic and Tails running... and then Sonic next to a statue of himself...

7. Lord Dalek

I believe it has something to do with the UK's aproach to comics. In Britain, a comic book is more along the lines of a magazine with comic strips in it. That's why Joe Musashi and Ax Battler have appeared on the cover of Sonic the Comic.

8. Dr.Zar

Dr.Zar Member

Whilst I agree that Archie is ten times better than Fleetway, I'm one of the few Sonic fans that like BOTH publications, and it's still pretty bad to see Fleetway bashed because it never had any space for thier stories.

Have you ever read the U.K Knuckles special? the Sandoplis story with Chaotix? THAT was what Fleetway could have done with the comic if they had dumped the game reviews, and the other comic strips to make way for an extended issue for the characters.

Sonic the Comic was a victim of CIRCUMSTANCE, nothing more, and nothing less, and it did pretty damn well given it's limitations.

Sonic fans are nothing like Trans-fans, but when it comes to "Archie vs Fleetway" it ALWAYS gets ugly.

9. Lord Dalek

Yeah, because only "hard-core" Sonic fans have even heard of Edgemont-Fleetway.

10. Dr.Zar

Dr.Zar Member

Darn Tootin':D

11. Lord Dalek

I was refering to American fans.

12. Chad Bonin

Ya know, STH is actually doing surprisingly well. Local comic shops seem to sell out, even enough for one to realize that some back issues might do well. Nobody knows why Archie doesn't do real TPBs for it...

13. Lord Dalek

Archie doesn't do TPB's for anything.

14. Chad Bonin

They also don't have anything with continuity except for Sonic.

Really, they could crank out NiGHTs in one TPB, two Knux arcs in one TPB, Sally and Tails in one TPB...

15. Lord Dalek

It's concepts like these when I wish that Dark Horse, not Archie, published STH.

16. Cool Blue

Cool Blue Grand Master

Well I finally have the next issue of sonic the hedgehog and I think it did pretty well. The artist finally learned to draw knuckles and the others more right but still screwed up on Shadow and Rouge. I believe that Mecha is a cool villian but I wished Sonic could beat her. Sally needed to suck things up and not cry and I guess Bunnie and Antoine should get back together. The whole 25yrs later story is going good to me and I can't wait until they show king Sonic. I think that him and knuckles may get into a disagreement and those are always interesting.

17. The Xenos

The Xenos Creature of the Night

Well, just wanted to chime in and say my rooamte, who's more into anime and manga and videogames, is currently on a hunt to get all the Sonic comics. I myself have teh cheesy has heck like first twenty as well as a number of later on ones where it got much better. We both used to follow the series, but he's on a hunt to get the rest of them.

Oh and btw, wouldn't it be awesome to get a Sonic game based on the comics and the good toon with Princess Sally and the gang? I relaly liked tha coninutity. I know Sega went their own ways with like Amy and that big cat thing and Shadow, but I loved the group from the comics and toon.

Hey, did they ever get Shadow into the Archie comics? *scans thread* Seems they did... that'd be interesting to check out.

And and as a side note,
    Well I gotta say I don't ahte it, but I did for a while since everyone was overhyping it esepcially my most annoying friend. I still don't like Naruto himself, but thanks to good friends who got me into the video game, I like Sansuke, Kagashi, and Rock Lee. Plus I hear the manga is much much better than the anime. Anyway, just had to reply to your sig.

-Xenos

18. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

I would jsut DIE if they turned some of the Knuckles 3-way covers into full sized posters, especially the Paradise lost and return of Enerjak ones.

19. Lord Dalek

Actually I don't really hate the show. I was just annoyed by the growing number of fanboy sigs that praised their allegiance to it. Since I've already gotten the stature as one of this board's best known pessimists, I felt the need to do something different. Inu Yasha, on the other hand, is indeed crap.

20. Lightwave

Lightwave With a tire iron...

Before people berate Fleetway, I think they need to read some of the better issues and/or storylines.

http://www.sonicthecomic.com

For your reading pleasure. I'd reccomend The "Chaos Saga", and "Robotnik Reigns Supreme". Quite good.

Now, quite frankly...I'm not happy with Archie. #125-131 was good. #132 was horrible, in my opinion. I'm gonna obtain #133 this weekend, so yeah.

Oh, and yes. Sonic the Comic still lives on, in some sense, as a webcomic. Though it's not official, it's created by people who worked on the old comic. The links in my sig, go read if you're curious.