1. Enter for a chance to win the Captain America Blaster Shield and two POP Vinyl figures from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Some more thoughts on Shigeru Miyamoto

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Pokejedservo, May 16, 2018.

1. Pokejedservo

Pokejedservo Mega Man 3 is Classic

Well Ladies & Gents a little less than a week ago in I did post this article on Shigeru Miyamoto and his legacy with Nintendo primarily on the Mario franchise here at DeviantArt at...

https://pokejedservo.deviantart.com/art/Some-more-thoughts-on-Shigeru-Miyamoto-and-Mario-744496741

This is actually the 2nd time I've done an article like this on Miyamoto & Mario back in November of 2013. But this article that I just shown you guys a link is a bit more updated and expanded and gives a bit more pros and cons regarding Miyamoto's influence in the Mario franchise's history. Namely on how one hand perhaps we fans give him a bit too much credit for the Mario franchise over the years but on the other hand some of the bad things he is accused of lately were not entirely true (such as what happened to Paper Mario Sticker Star). Basically its a known part of the whole "Creator Worship" mentality many of us have to these creators namely get all the praise & credit where things go well but get all the blame when things really go wrong even if it wasn't your fault. I also talked about other things such as the Pros and Cons of the New Super Mario Bros series, the legacy of the Donkey Kong Country series and more. So what do you folks think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Now, wait a minute! I have great respect for him as a video game developer, but I don't "worship" him by any means. I know that even he has made mistakes (and no, Yoshi's Story is not [necessarily] one of them). As for the "pros and cons" of the New Super Mario Bros. series, I'm not saying it's you, but it has been known that people use expressions like that as a way of really saying things like " the New Super Mario Bros. games all suck, because they're all the exact same game!!", yet there are differences if one were to care to look. The only "con" I can see is with New Super Mario Bros. U (at least), which makes you play some levels twice just get all the Star Coins, but other than that, it's not really a bad game. Rare has already established the legacy of the Donkey Kong Country series. Bonus room within a bonus room aside, at least they don't force you play the game twice just to see everything, and before anyone says anything, Rare could have easily done that in any of the 4 console games (don't know about the three Game Boy games) they made if they really wanted to, but they didn't. The two Retro Studios games however ultimately favor the "hardcore" players (or otherwise favor one kind of game player) in the long run, which isn't good for anybody, and really goes against what Nintendo is really all about: making games that everyone can get the most out no matter how they play them. Funky Kong in the Nintendo Switch version? Some players may see that as the game taking pity on them (he isn't a "character", exactly, he's a mode*). "Legacy"? Forced, spur-of-the-moment, artificial replay value (or "fake longevity" as TV Tropes) isn't the legacy of this series (by which I mean, the extended Mario series, which includes Super Mario Bros. Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, and both Wario series). All that does (for some, but not all people) is make game players some how get through (to put in perspective) nightmare that some of these games have and cause them to declare "never again". That's not what a Nintendo game is all about (I'm looking at you, Mario Kart Wii, 7, and 8, but especially 8 with it's 200cc mode...).

In short, I respect Shigeru Miyamoto, but I don't "worship" him, exactly, the New Super Mario Bros. games aren't that bad, and I think most people know what the Donkey Kong Country series' legacy is.

*It's also a trick question one way or the other (i.e., even if nothing were to happen from playing the game in Funky Kong/easy mode). After all, the game is called "Donkey Kong Country", not "Funky Kong Country".

3. Pokejedservo

Pokejedservo Mega Man 3 is Classic

Well with all due respect but first of all did you click on that link I shown in which you will be able to read the whole article? I went into a lot more detail there.

As for Pros and Cons for the New Super Mario Bros series it was mainly...

+ While the series has been accused of being a bunch of rehashes this wasn't true at first. The Original NSMB got notoriety for being a new platformer and not a port of an earlier Mario game and the 2.5D look was novel at the time. And NSMB Wii got a lot of praise for being the first Mario platformer to have co-op multiplayer. (Though granted some did question 2 Toads were player 3 & 4.)
    - It wasn't until the Wii U & 3DS did the series start getting seen as overly stagnant. That and while some say that the story of...

"Mario must save Princess Peach from Bowser in the Mushroom Kingdom"

Is getting a bit tired others counter it with that is always how the series was always this. But I proved that isn't true since the NES, SNES and GB platformers had a bit more variety than that as back then only two of those games were set in the Mushroom Kingdom namely 1 and 3 (well okay 3 if you count the Japanese SMB 2/Lost Levels.)

I also talked about other folks who deserved some credit too such as Veteran Animator Yoichi Kotabe who was the one who made Peach and Bowser's current looks as a young lady and a fire-breathing turtle respectively. (Miyamoto's original designs for Peach looked like a little girl and Miyamoto originally wanted Bowser to be more of a fire-breathing Ox than a Turtle as homage to the Ox King in the early 1960's anime movie Saiyuki A.K.A Alakazam.) Also Takashi Tezuka who among other things such as the original writer of the Legend of Zelda games is the assistant director of SMB 1 and he was the one who had the idea to have Mario in Super Mario Bros 1. (During production Miyamoto used a 16X32 square as a placeholder but Tezuka gave the idea to use Mario since the game Mario Bros did pretty well and Miyamoto liked it.) As for Donkey Kong Country I was more talking about Miyamoto's role & influence in the series (or lack of it) in which I examined this quote attributed to him.

"Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good."

Many claim that this is a hoax or a mistranslation and believe that Miyamoto would never say anything mean like this. But it has been said that this was more due to frustration that Nintendo forced Miyamoto to make SMW 2 Yoshi's Island to have Pre-Rendered Graphics ala Donkey Kong Country but Miyamoto was strongly against it and wanted the game to be 2-D. Though rest assured I did point out how in 2010 Miyamoto did openly state that he has no animosity towards the DKC series and he was one of the folks who got Retro to revive the series then.) There is more but you can read the article to find out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Interesting article. I own the first three Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES (and Donkey Kong 94 on Super Game Boy) but I only finished 94 and the first Country. Which game was it that confirmed Donkey was actually Donkey Kong Jr grown up?