Shout! Factory's MST3K on DVD Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Adam Tyner, Jan 22, 2008.

1. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Right, but "Revenge of the Creature", "The Mole People", and now "The Deadly Mantis" are all released/will be released, and they're all Universal episodes too, so that can't be the reason "The Leech Woman" was skipped.

(Incidentally, that list badly needs to be updated. A good chunk of the episodes listed as "Unlikely" or "Extremely Unlikely" actually got released, which makes the list pretty amusing in hindsight)

3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Re: Set 26: I re-watched Danger: Death Ray! last night and while I can't say it's one of my absolute favorites, it did have some very funny moments. In particular, the chase sequence in the middle of the film was great, as one joke after another all worked. I also enjoyed the jokes about one of the characters having an Abe Lincoln beard, and the trio's annoyance that the movie never used any cheesy Bond one-liners (despite having numerous instances to do so). Unless The Mole People overtakes it, this is probably the strongest episode on the set.

Alien From L.A. was just as bad as ever, and isn't helped by some pretty awful sound mixing; oftentimes it was hard to hear the film dialog because it was so quiet and muffled.

Magic Sword was rather forgettable, though I recall laughing at some bits. The skits in this one were pretty enjoyable.

The Mole People is up next! EDIT: Not a bad episode, but the biggest laughs came in the first half of the movie. The second half wasn't as strong. Yeah, "Death Ray" is the best episode on the set.

4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

While Volume XXVII is not for another month, it looks like Shout Factory has another MST3K release in the pipeline: a blu-ray release of the movie.

Here's hoping that Shout Factory can get access to the deleted scenes that were shown at one of the MST3K conventions (as well as some other cool extras for the release).

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Looks like it will have more special features than the original and re-release DVDs (which both basically had nothing), so this may merit a double dip.

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Vol. 27 is out today, but here's what coming in Vol. 28:
    -Moon Zero Two
    -The Day the Earth Froze
    -The Leech Woman
    -Gorgo
    -Mitchell and The Brain That Wouldn't Die (on bonus disc)

Awesome, I can't wait to own The Leech Woman. And double awesome to have a bonus disc with the Joel to Mike transition!

7. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

The set will definitely be worth it for the Day the Earth Froze (They're doing it clown style!) and the Leech Woman (JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!).

BTW, anyone else wonder if the Mitchell/Brain That Wouldn't Die bonus disc will be the Shout Factory exclusive this go-round.

8. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Isn't Gorgo the episode that was broadcast twice (on the same day) and never again due to rights issues? If so, then this is a HUGE milestone for these releases.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Yeah, Gorgo never played much outside of one or two airings. Just goes to prove that nothing is out of the realm of possibility when it comes to Shout!'s treatment of the series. Who knows, maybe a small miracle will occur and we'll get the Susan Hart episodes.

As for vol. 27, which I just finished, "Village of the Giants" was my favorite outing. This was the Comedy Central Mike era at the top of its game, where pretty much every riff worked. It doesn't hurt that the film itself was great '60s cheese, something which is bad but at least entertaining. Second would be "The Deadly Mantis", not my favorite of the Sci-Fi era but still pretty solid. Then I'd say "Rocket Attack U.S.A.", which was actually quite good for a season 2 episode but still fairly hit-and-miss (though, any episode which gave birth to the stinger can't be bad). Way at the bottom is "The Slime People". It had a few okay jokes but I don't care for season 1 all that much. They were still operating under the improvisation technique instead of scripted riffing, and it shows.

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Double post, I know, but here are the special features for Vol. 28, courtesy of mst3kinfo:
    They keep topping themselves! I'm very interested what the three-part doc on the 25th Anniversary will be. Maybe a tour of the old stomping grounds?

11. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

I missed the news about The Day the Earth Froze. That's my all-time favorite MST3K episode. Thrilled, thrilled, thrilled. Gorgo is an awesome surprise too.

12. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Gorgo's huge news as, as mentioned previously in this thread, it was only shown twice and never again.

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Anybody else pick up the Blu-ray/DVD movie re-release? It blows the old 2008 release out of the water. Of note, we get deleted scenes!

14. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Haven't gotten it yet, but how's the quality of the deleted scenes? Blu-Ray.com's review says they look sourced from an old videotape.

I still have the old, original DVD release, so I'm looking forward to finally upgrading.

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

The quality on the deleted scenes isn't great, but considering they've rarely been seen before this, I'm grateful to have them at all.

Side note: Favorite quotes from the movie? Here are some of mine:

"Green Acres!"

"Inserting the breakfast pastry." "The secret government Eggo project." "Contacting Dr. Jemima." "Warming the syrup."

"Heil HITLER!"

"Into the Weenie Mobile! Weenie Man away!"

"Come on down to L. Marie Ford, free hot dogs, and balloons for mom."

["Well, there you have it."] "A letter opener."

"The Jetsons 2: After the Armageddon."

"Ri-co-la!...la!...la!"

"Watch your lips."

"Other people need to use this ladder, ya know."

"Check it out: Baywatch is on."

"Shut your gob, small head."

"Great, they're going sixty-five, so they'll be there in three billion years."

"Hey, who sneezed on the credits?"

"Put your shoes on, we're at grandma's."

"Eastman: He came out of the east to do battle with the Amazing RANDO!"

"Now if you don't mind, I've been waiting ALL day for this."

"Raspberry World: For all your raspberry needs."

16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

So here's something I didn't realize until now: If you order directly from Shout! Factory instead of on Amazon, you can get the set a couple weeks before street date! Yes, I should've known this.

With that said, I've been working my way through the 25th Anniversary set. The 3-part documentary had some repeat info from previous interviews but had enough new stuff to justify watching it. I'm glad they did something special for the anniversary.

As for the episodes themselves, my favorite this time was "The Leech Woman" ("This is like a murderous episode of "Lucy"."), with close runner-ups being "Mitchell" and the riffing on the "Here Comes the Circus" short in "The Day the Earth Froze". Least favorite, no surprises here, was "Moon Zero Two". Awful, awful film, made even harder to sit through because the riffing wasn't very good. But you should know by now that I don't care for most of season 1.

Just FYI: There are only four thinpaks like usual; "Gorgo" is housed in a double-disc thinpak with "Mitchell" and "The Brain That Wouldn't Die", which share the same disc (no, it's not double-sided). Works, I suppose.

17. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

The next volume's episodes were just posted:
    I'll love owning The Puma Man. After all, he flies like a moron!

I don't really remember The Thing That Couldn't Die- good episode or not?

18. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Yay. Finally, Puma Man at last. This will definitely be one to get.

We're just one episode short of completing season 1 too, IINM. That'll be a milestone.

19. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Well-Known Member

Has Zombie Nightmare been released yet, or do the music rights to that one make that less likely?

20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Zombie Nightmare is included on Collection XV.