Should NickSplat Become A Channel?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Anthony Riley, May 29, 2017.

1. Anthony Riley

Anthony Riley Active Member

I think that if NickSplat became a channel, it could replace Nicktoons and air shows that Nicktoons doesn't air anymore like Kappa Mikey, The Secret Show, My Dad The RockStar, Edgar and Ellen and Making Fiends. NickSplat could also acquire shows like Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Dragon Ball Super, Animaniacs, Pinky and The Brain, Tiny Toons, One Piece, Yugioh, Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho, Digimon, Yakkity Yak, and Corneil and Bernie. They could also air every Nicktoon from Doug to Random! Cartoons excluding the bad ones like Barnyard. Tell me what you think.

2. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That doesn't seem like something that would happen anytime soon.

But I do think that Nick investing in a NickSplat app similar to Boomerang's would be cool. Especially if they put on more than the same handful of shows the block itself acknowledges.

3. Jonathan Teka

Jonathan Teka Member

I think it should, but it has to replace the SD feed of TeenNick and make TeenNick HD only. It should also air only shows from 1984-early 2003, even the ones that have licensing issues like The Adventures of Pete and Pete (full episodes).

4. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

based on your selections, it's a 3rd party acquisition shows..

5. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

No there's no point. Trust me, it's just going to die out very quickly. The most The Splat should be is a streaming feature sort of like Noggin.

6. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Inside No. 9

@Anthony Riley "excluding the bad ones like Barnyard."

That's opinion, not fact.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This would be out of the original purpose of the block. I think the channel wouldn't work well either as a throwback channel or an anime channel.

8. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Ambassador of Harvey Street

Those shows aren't even owned by Viacom!

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Well-Known Member

I would have said yes, I would like to see NickSplat become its own channel because that would allow the network to show more older shows from the 90s and 2000s instead of showing the same shows over and over again. But, the problem with this is that it could quickly lose ratings for the channel because they would only be able to air the same episodes over and over again and that might bored some people who might want newer episodes of these shows, despite the fact that most of these shows were cancelled years ago and might never be picked back up, unless the fan support is strong enough to do so, like in the case of the Hey Arnold! Jungle Movie.

Also, Nickelodeon did attempted to do something similar before where they created the Nick Gas channel that featured all the older game shows that aired on Nickelodeon throughout the 90s, but that ended up being taken off the air. So, if NickSplat were to get its own channel, it would depend on how creative Nickelodeon would get with the schedule to make it engaging for anyone watching the channel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AnimaniacNutso

AnimaniacNutso Well-Known Member

I think NickSplat is better off as a block.

Besides, knowing the Nickelodeon Networks scheduling, the NickSplat channel schedule would probably only be about maybe 7 or 8 shows on the schedule. There would be an overplay of stuff like Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, Rocko's Modern Life, and Doug.

Remember Nick GAS? Yeah. During the end of the block's lifespan, it was pretty much nothing but a ton of Legends of the Hidden Temple, Double Dare 2000, and Figure it Out, with some airings of GUTS and Get the Picture sprinkled in the schedule and 2 airings of Nick Arcade at like 4 in the morning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge "I don't need a job, I need money." - Dan

Personally, just call the entire channel as it is now NickSplat that just happens to have older Nick shows nightly 11pm-6am.

Same argument from me is there's nothing anymore (or really so much) "teen" the channel airs. That was best when The N and TeenNick once the name changed had nice acquisitions of outside-the-US teen dramas. Granted, I never cared for many of them, but they made the name of the channel feel accurate and belonging.

Probably may not happen, but I think they could blend in all the shows aired now throughout the day, to where you could have Kenan & Kel at 2pm or something, then .... Thundermans I guess... play around 1am, 3am, whatever the time while still being surrounded by older Nick shows. It at least would give them a mock-break of playing the same tween shows that like a lot of older nick shows share roughly the same episode count.

Aside from the yearly Halo Awards that's simulcasted and what-not, even today that idea would still be a full-on rerun network that doesn't necessarily need to be.
    To make things worse is even when they still were playing Finders Keepers at 2am & 5am, it was always the same 2 episodes per show throughout the day until the channel left. (Which means 12 different episodes shown each day) All you had to do was watch 12am-6am daily and you got everything covered without any show repeating in that span.

What I did like though is though it didn't start until August-ish of 2007, so everyone except DISH when it had its farewell April 2009, was enjoying seeing the episodes in production order. For example with Hidden Temple, I'd lost track at how many times before proper rotation they played the episode "The Discarded Seal of Ivan the Terrible" - and not just that one but others. Once they started rotating each show it gave many viewers who'd lose the channel by the end of the year a great opportunity to be able to properly see each episode. Kind of like a last hurrah.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As neat as the idea sounds, I don't think it would be a good idea for the Splat to be its own channel. They can't even provide a good variety to their lineup and it's been on autopilot for awhile. Unless they were suddenly interested in doing more with the block instead of repeating the same shows every week, then I don't see how a channel would be significantly better at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

Yes, I think so. The potential is there. Give us more reruns of the old shows, and mix it in with potential reboots on the channel (like if Rugrats get one, for example). Maybe an acquired show or two as well.

14. Zeether

Zeether HASSHA!!

An online stream + Roku or Sling TV channel would be a better bet. Put the old Nicktoons and game shows on there with old promos and it would work.

15. Spacething7474

Spacething7474 darude is a 1999 song from the artist sandstorm

No, it would get old after a while. Heck, the block in a whole is old news now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

The channel wouldn't become successful and would be wasted after a few months, much like MTV Classic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Well-Known Member

I agree. The same thing happened with Nick GAS when they aired all the classic game shows and it just eventually got cancelled because they were practically showing the same game shows over and over again.

18. AnimaniacNutso

AnimaniacNutso Well-Known Member

I agree. It also didn't help that they removed a lot of the Game Shows from the network like Any version of Double Dare (except Double Dare 2000), Think Fast, What Would You Do?, Wild and Crazy Kids, You're On, Make the Grade, and eventually Finders Keepers. Nick Arcade was only on for an hour really early in the morning, and they heavily relied on Legends, Double Dare 2000, and Figure it Out to carry a channel, with airings of GUTS and Get the Picture in there also. Not to mention, that Nick GAS never really had a lot of shows to air to fill a 24 hour schedule, so they just had to repeat their shows.

Honestly, with how few shows Nick GAS had to fill a 24 hour schedule, it's amazing how long the network lasted. 8 years is pretty long for the channel Nick GAS pretty much was and Dish Networks carried it till 2009. 10 years for Dish Networks is even more surprising, considering the channel Nick GAS was.

19. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

A similar thing happened with TCC in Scandinavia and one provider in the UK who refused to drop it for a while, they just looped four weeks worth of shows. A channel like this would have a constantly stagnating viewership base.

20. moose_tracks12

moose_tracks12 Active Member

As nice as that would sound, I personally wouldn't want an entire channel dedicated to classic Nickelodeon. As much as I love seeing old-school Nicktoons and sitcoms air on TV more often, I know that I would get sick of it at some point.

For instance, I remember a few months ago when Cartoon Network started heavily increasing the airings of the 2003 Teen Titans, eventually becoming the second most played show on CN for a little bit. As happy as I was seeing my childhood show initially, I eventually got sick of seeing it when they started playing it so much (But I guess you could say this about ANY show that you like. Not just nostalgic ones, but newer ones too).

In my personal opinion, nostalgic shows are very special and rare. They should be watched in moderation rather than on a daily basis, because watching them too much takes away the goodness you feel with it and causes you to grow annoyed with them. I want to always feel the nostalgia and not the annoyance.

So NickSplat as a block is enough in my opinion. I do hope the block does change the schedule up a little bit at some point in time though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #20 moose_tracks12, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017