Should Cartoon Network include more references and cameos to older shows in their current cartoons?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by AnimaniacNutso, May 14, 2018.

1. AnimaniacNutso

AnimaniacNutso Well-Known Member

I've been rewatching "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy" recently and I remembered how the show would have references and cameos to older shows like Yogi Bear, The Flintstones, and Scooby-Doo. Johnny Bravo did the same too from what I recall (I mostly remember the Scooby-Doo one).

So I was thinking, do you guys think Cartoon Network should include more cameos and references to their older shows in their new shows? It worked for Billy and Mandy and Johnny Bravo (That was part of the reason people loved those shows).

#1 AnimaniacNutso, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

They have been doing it for YEARS when it comes to new shows referencing each other. They're all being subtly cross-promoted. As for references to old shows in new ones? They actually did it a few times as well, but there isn't really a point in doing it as the old shows are old and not aimed at their demographic.

3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Wait till you see the new episodes of Clarence.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

No. There are occasional references as is (the very end of Steven Universe's "Say Uncle" immediately comes to mind), and I think anything more would just come off as pandering.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

When it comes to references of older shows I'd say its fine to have them in shows but do so sparingly, it could be distracting if a show merely attempts to address an older show over and over again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

More references to old shows could get old really quick, so I suggest that they only do one or two at a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

"Should Cartoon Network include more references and cameos to older shows in their current cartoons?"

Uh..no luv. The question should have been...

"Should Cartoon Network include more references and cameos to shows made from other companies?"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

No.

• Winner Winner x 1