Should AS lose the 8 p.m. hour offically?

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Cartoon Ruler

Dec 11, 2011
Ratings
1,900 7
Galloway, NJ
I, for one, would really want CN to take back the 8 p.m. hour again. At the very least, I could see them air premieres/encores of their older-skewing shows (Steven Universe, Infinity Train, Victor & Valentino, etc.).

Let's face it, ever since 2014, AS has not done anything special for that hour other than reruns of ended FOX cartoons. King of the Hill and The Cleveland Show can just easily air exclusively at the 5 a.m. graveyard hour since they're both not really qualify for primetime showings anymore (at least on a basic cable network that's relying on ad revenue). They've ended at least five years ago and neither were popular during their heydays, so I think they've had their time in primetime reruns. Adult Swim should just open up with either Bob's Burgers or American Dad at 9 p.m., and stop relying on Cleveland and King of the Hill (especially the former). Heck, maybe AS can still keep the 8 p.m. hour but air Dragon Ball Super reruns instead. I definitely think it'll do better than the mentioned two.

So what are you guys think about this topic? I'm definitely all ears in hearing out your thoughts.

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
Ratings
98 2
USA
Visit site
King of the Hill serves as a good buffer-zone, so kids would be less likely to stay up for the raunchier shows. There'd probably be a lot of complaints if Teen Titans Go or Gumball lead into a TV-MA episode of Rick and Morty. One such episode aired tonight at 9pm ("Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender"), which pushed the gore more than usual.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Fan of Linus and Peanuts
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
831 5
Colorado
When King of the Hill joined Adult Swim it was on back to back at 10pmet, when they expanded into 9pmet, they moved King of the Hill there, when they moved to 8pmet guess what was there? The only change is they cut it in half. If, anything they'd still have KOTH as the starter at any point that seems to be their starting point. 2nd part is what would Cartoon Network do with 8pmet? They could air Steven Universe and etc.. but will they ?

Vaughn Max

Sep 10, 2017
Ratings
371 35
When King of the Hill joined Adult Swim it was on back to back at 10pmet, when they expanded into 9pmet, they moved King of the Hill there, when they moved to 8pmet guess what was there? The only change is they cut it in half. If, anything they'd still have KOTH as the starter at any point that seems to be their starting point. 2nd part is what would Cartoon Network do with 8pmet? They could air Steven Universe and etc.. but will they ?
They will if you just contact them multiple times a day and they get tired of it

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Radical Edward

Feb 3, 2018
Ratings
1,115 6
They could try airing premieres in the 8pm hour again, but I doubt they'll do that. All of CN's premiere ratings have been tanking, so pitting premieres directly against broadcast network's programming sounds like a bad idea.

LinusFan303

Fan of Linus and Peanuts
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
831 5
Colorado
They could try airing premieres in the 8pm hour again, but I doubt they'll do that. All of CN's premiere ratings have been tanking, so pitting premieres directly against broadcast network's programming sounds like a bad idea.
They are on this premiere in the AM then repeat all day kick so if anything 8PM would be repeat of the premieres most likely.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,458 4
Framingham, MA
Hell, if they lose the Fox shows, they should scale back the 9:00PM hour too! Start at 10:00, or better yet, 11:00. Family Guy, American Dad, and Bob's Burgers are the only reason I watch the block at all. Rick and Morty is okay, but besides that, Black Jesus, and the last season of Samurai Jack, I haven literally not enjoyed a single original series on the channel since Home Movies was canceled. Adult Swim besides Toonami and Fox is basically loud, annoying, unfunny crap. I don't know how it gets any viewers at all.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,173 36 1
Austin, Texas
KotH was the point of the 8pm hour, if it doesn't stick around then the 8pm hour should really return to CN, unless of course AS does something more productive with that hour other than going for a predictable rerun of a currently airing fox show.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
887 14
Springfield, MO
It doesn’t matter if the 8:00pm block goes to CN or not. There needs to be some kind of buffer program to ease the transition. With KOTH gone, Bob’s Burgers will be a suitable replacement.
Well, except it's not going to be Bob's Burgers, it turns out it's going to be Dragon Ball Super...

A much better choice, I might add. Is "Bob's Burgers" really that much more tame than Family Guy/American Dad?

Cartoon Ruler

Dec 11, 2011
Ratings
1,900 7
Galloway, NJ
Heck, maybe AS can still keep the 8 p.m. hour but air Dragon Ball Super reruns instead. I definitely think it'll do better than the mentioned two.
Totally called it! Apparently, DB Super is replacing KotH at 8 pm starting Monday.

Maybe I'll take back what I've said about the 8 pm hour. If one of Toonami's tamer shows (DBZ Kai, My Hero Academia, Naurto, etc.) takes 8:30 and eventually get rid of The Cleveland Show (or at least reduce its airtime), then maybe AS oughta keep the hour. I could definitely see the potential of primetime anime airing right after CN ends and before the more risque shows air (which could attract a teen audience), and DB Super was a great choice for beginners. I really hope this succeeds just so we won't have to have an hour of Cleveland every night.

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,391 7
Honestly it seems like Adult Swim is using the 8pm better than I can see CN using it, at least Dragonball Super is something different and not Teen Titans Go

Last edited: