Should AS lose the 8 p.m. hour offically?

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Cartoon Ruler, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

I, for one, would really want CN to take back the 8 p.m. hour again. At the very least, I could see them air premieres/encores of their older-skewing shows (Steven Universe, Infinity Train, Victor & Valentino, etc.).

Let's face it, ever since 2014, AS has not done anything special for that hour other than reruns of ended FOX cartoons. King of the Hill and The Cleveland Show can just easily air exclusively at the 5 a.m. graveyard hour since they're both not really qualify for primetime showings anymore (at least on a basic cable network that's relying on ad revenue). They've ended at least five years ago and neither were popular during their heydays, so I think they've had their time in primetime reruns. Adult Swim should just open up with either Bob's Burgers or American Dad at 9 p.m., and stop relying on Cleveland and King of the Hill (especially the former). Heck, maybe AS can still keep the 8 p.m. hour but air Dragon Ball Super reruns instead. I definitely think it'll do better than the mentioned two.

So what are you guys think about this topic? I'm definitely all ears in hearing out your thoughts.

2. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

King of the Hill serves as a good buffer-zone, so kids would be less likely to stay up for the raunchier shows. There'd probably be a lot of complaints if Teen Titans Go or Gumball lead into a TV-MA episode of Rick and Morty. One such episode aired tonight at 9pm ("Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender"), which pushed the gore more than usual.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #2 SpaceCowboy, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  3. Vaughn Max

Vaughn Max Well-Known Member

They should lose 8pm and 9pm

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

4. LinusFan303

LinusFan303 A fan of Charlie Brown and Linus

When King of the Hill joined Adult Swim it was on back to back at 10pmet, when they expanded into 9pmet, they moved King of the Hill there, when they moved to 8pmet guess what was there? The only change is they cut it in half. If, anything they'd still have KOTH as the starter at any point that seems to be their starting point. 2nd part is what would Cartoon Network do with 8pmet? They could air Steven Universe and etc.. but will they ?

5. Vaughn Max

They will if you just contact them multiple times a day and they get tired of it

6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Hardcore Gamer

Well, what are you waiting for? Get on it and let us all know how it works out.

7. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

If they lost the 8pm buffer zone, they would be in a lot of trouble.

8. Vaughn Max

Why?

9. Radical Edward

Radical Edward Was Rad's Kittens

They could try airing premieres in the 8pm hour again, but I doubt they'll do that. All of CN's premiere ratings have been tanking, so pitting premieres directly against broadcast network's programming sounds like a bad idea.

10. LinusFan303

LinusFan303 A fan of Charlie Brown and Linus

They are on this premiere in the AM then repeat all day kick so if anything 8PM would be repeat of the premieres most likely.

11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Hell, if they lose the Fox shows, they should scale back the 9:00PM hour too! Start at 10:00, or better yet, 11:00. Family Guy, American Dad, and Bob's Burgers are the only reason I watch the block at all. Rick and Morty is okay, but besides that, Black Jesus, and the last season of Samurai Jack, I haven literally not enjoyed a single original series on the channel since Home Movies was canceled. Adult Swim besides Toonami and Fox is basically loud, annoying, unfunny crap. I don't know how it gets any viewers at all.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Markus Nelis

Markus Nelis Member

I hope not officially, but at least give a 8 pm slot back to CN sometimes for 1 week.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cartoon Ruler

With King of the Hill possibly gone and Cleveland likely to carry the whole 8 p.m. hour to itself, now I feel AS really doesn't need that hour.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

KotH was the point of the 8pm hour, if it doesn't stick around then the 8pm hour should really return to CN, unless of course AS does something more productive with that hour other than going for a predictable rerun of a currently airing fox show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It doesn’t matter if the 8:00pm block goes to CN or not. There needs to be some kind of buffer program to ease the transition. With KOTH gone, Bob’s Burgers will be a suitable replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Well, except it's not going to be Bob's Burgers, it turns out it's going to be Dragon Ball Super...

A much better choice, I might add. Is "Bob's Burgers" really that much more tame than Family Guy/American Dad?

17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Actually, much more. It is usually rated TV-PG most weeks on Fox.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Cartoon Ruler

Totally called it! Apparently, DB Super is replacing KotH at 8 pm starting Monday.

Maybe I'll take back what I've said about the 8 pm hour. If one of Toonami's tamer shows (DBZ Kai, My Hero Academia, Naurto, etc.) takes 8:30 and eventually get rid of The Cleveland Show (or at least reduce its airtime), then maybe AS oughta keep the hour. I could definitely see the potential of primetime anime airing right after CN ends and before the more risque shows air (which could attract a teen audience), and DB Super was a great choice for beginners. I really hope this succeeds just so we won't have to have an hour of Cleveland every night.

#18 Cartoon Ruler, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  19. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

Honestly it seems like Adult Swim is using the 8pm better than I can see CN using it, at least Dragonball Super is something different and not Teen Titans Go

• Agree Agree x 2
    #19 PapaGreg, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  20. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

DBS is good for that slot. Doubt CN would have anything better to show right now. But in the future, why not? We'll see. Maybe Infinity Train...

• Like Like x 1