Seuss movie rights transfer from Universal to WB.

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Daikun, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

http://deadline.com/2018/01/dr-seuss-movies-warner-animation-group-cat-in-the-hat-1202268327

Warner Animation Group has struck a deal with the Seuss estate to make animated features based on the books of Dr. Seuss. This deal will not have any effect on Illumination's upcoming Grinch movie later this year, although this will be parent company Universal/Comcast's final movie based on the material, since they're losing the rights.

Anyway, WAG's first new project will be The Cat in the Hat. What better way to correct past mistakes?

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This should be fun, most of the Seuss movies were just middle of the road. Can't wait to see how will WB do with this new product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder what caused the move. Not that I’m complaining. I think an animated Cat in the Hat Movie is needed to wash away the bad memories of the live action movie.
    I’m just curious on what other Suess stories will they adapt, and will it include books he wrote but didn’t illustrate, like Wacky Wednesday.

I wonder if they’ll adapt the Sneethces. It’s a great story for today’s audiences about teaching acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I can think of two scenarios:
    1) Audrey Geisel didn't like the way Universal was treating her late husband's books.
    2) Their contract merely expired. (It's been nearly two decades, after all.)

5. MegasMilo379

MegasMilo379 Active Member

It was surprising me to learn at first (considering I still thought Uni still held the rights [and for sooo long], but I can get with this switch in atudios all the way.

I like Warner Animation Group considering most of the films they've made so far, so this is a real good fit for the Seuss movies imo.

I know whomever the Seuss/Geisel estate will pick to pen the screenplay for them will do a great job... Or at least a much better job than whomever wrote that borderline trash Cat in the Hat film.
    Ironically the first movie... is an animated Cat... film

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

There was no borderline about it. I saw part of it on Cartoon Network and I was absolutely appalled. Mike Myers played the Cat like a pervy sex offender, always making dirty jokes to the kids only he got, and winking at the camera as if he was cute instead of disgusting. It is to society's eternal credit that that movie basically ruined his entire career. He deserved it for that nauseating performance.

7. MegasMilo379

MegasMilo379 Active Member

Yeah... I said that to be nice for the people who actually like it. All 4 of them.

• Like Like x 1