Saban buys back Power Rangers; show will head to Nick

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Jaguar, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaguar

Jaguar Cogito ergo doleum

I had not seen a thread about this yet (if there was one, I'm incredibly sorry, and this one should be sacked), so I figured it was worth coming out of retirement for.

In a word: HUGE.

2. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Holy crap! This is huge, all right. Saban getting back into the kids show business? Power Rangers back in his hands? Power Rangers on Nickelodeon? A new movie?

I need to sit down for a moment to process this.

Ninja Turtles, Dragonball Kai, and Power Rangers on the same channel. Just...wow.

3. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

Whoa, WTF! are you serious? Nick seems to be getting everything nowadays.:confused:

4. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

Ok, so i'm not really sure if i'm blowing this out of proportion or not, but this is pretty awesome. Maybe he could start getting into kids shows stuff. I'm excited!

On the other hand this could very well just be a property he thought he could rejuvenate and nothing else. This is interesting because will it force Disney to FINALLY change their ABC Kids line up?

I know that ABC Kids has that 1 hour of power rangers which is pretty much optional (some affiliates like in milwaukee don't air it because its not E/I) but could i wonder if this would have an effect on their line up. Because he gets the rights to all the previous episodes so they won't be able to use them. I hope they end up changing up the block (but i doubt it)

5. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Didn't see a source so I looked for one and found the news all over the place. Here's an excerpt from the Hollywood Reporter.

As for me, this news is so big I need an image to capture my reaction.

[​IMG]

This news is absolutely huge. The guy who started it all, with what appears to be one of the major players behind the series for the first 10 years of its life. It's crazy, almost surreal.

I'm absolutely astonished. Saban seasons are generally favored among the fandom so with the father of the series behind it again, it can only mean promising new beginnings for the franchise.

Time to check Rangerboard for the general reaction.

6. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

Wow… just WOW! This is some HUGE news indeed!

It makes me 100x happier that I’m getting Nicktoons this June! :)

I have a feeling Nickelodeon will treat the brand better, and with Saban owning it again, maybe we’ll finally get some DVDs!

7. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Wow, I never imagined this would have happened in a million years! This can only mean good things for the franchise.

8. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

9. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

Why is Nick suddenly getting all the love? It would've been beter if it went to Disney XD, since there hasn't been a good program there in a while.

10. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nicktoons will begin airing older PR episodes, and 20 new episodes will air on Nickelodeon itself. I believe Disney will retain merchandising rights however according to the article, which has always been the strongest part of the Power Rangers franchise by far. "9 figures" would put north of $100,000,000 which exceeds the amount paid by Nickeleodeon for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles rights last year.

11. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

While i think Nick is the best choice since its the top rated network, I gotta think that Cartoon Network missed a chance here. This is a clear opportunity to start up a live action block which would have received almost automatic support. If they really wanted to make a successful live action block without all the resistance it has been getting, this would have been a great piece.

12. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocks™

Just got done eating dinner and OH. MY. GOD. Nickelodeon is getting all the stuff!

13. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

20 episodes? That's gonna make for a tight season.

Now we know why the MMv2 episodes got pushed to double-run status and will be done on Labor Day weekend.

How much you wanna bet this means the end of the fourth non-E/I hour of the ABC Kids block? If it isn't .... what do you put there? Zeke and Luther? Phineas & Ferb?

14. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Disney is more interested in developing Marvel shows.

What you see here is a very interesting split among evergreen properties.

Turner has DC, Disney has Marvel and Viacom is building a collection of the biggest brands that didn't fall under those companies with their own series Avatar along with three of kid televisions biggest action hits TMNT, DBZ and now Power Rangers. One of which they own outright the others they are borrowing for the time being. I really can't wait to see what else Nick picks up to bolster their action library as this is the first time they've ever built up a library of action properties for their networks. You can probably thank continued success of Avatar and solid ratings (for Nicktoons anyway) from the Marvel toons they've been playing lately.

I never dreamed Saban could buy back Power Rangers. I mean... that had to cost a lot of money.

I also didn't expect Disney to be the one to sell Power Rangers but if Toei couldn't shop it around as long as Disney had it then Disney would be the only one who could sell those rights I suppose. Still... I'm very surprised.

I had to double check the date on that article to make sure it wasn't from April 1st.

Smart move on Nick's part and I'm glad they got it rather than CN cause really Power Rangers has no business being on CN but it already has been once which means Power Rangers is a brand that has actually been on every major kids channel once it hits Nick and Nicktoons.

Fox Kids, Fox Family, ABC Family, ABC Kids, Toon Disney / Jetix, Cartoon Network (for the Turbo movie) and soon Nick and Nicktoons. Really all that's left is Boomerang and a 4kids block of what's currently out there. Not too many other franchises that haven't at least been around for more than a decade can say that.

I am a bit disappointed that Nicktoons will be using animation airing time to run reruns of Power Rangers when that would have been much better for Disney XD or 4kids and their streaming video site but I'm all for Nick airing Power Rangers and I hope it does well and is once again a strong action brand on US television.

And did that PR say a new movie? Saban is ambitious I'll say that much.

15. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

I had a feeling that once Disney bought Marvel, that that was a wrap for Power Rangers at 'The Mouse House'. I thought it was kinda cool that Marvel and Power Rangers were under the same umbrella... albeit briefly. But the franchise had been an afterthought at Disney for the last few years; so ultimately I think it'll be in better hands with it's original owner.

BTW, does the Saban library still remain with Disney?

16. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I wonder if the abomination currently airing on Saturday mornings was enough to force Saban to reclaim the property?

Either that or he's attempting to reclaim the money he lost as a Clinton donor.

17. PC!

PC! lolwut?

I don't know, but considering they pretty much do nothing with it anymore, it wouldn't surprise me if the rest of Saban's library is bought by various companies.

If Saban wants to buy back Digimon, that'd be just fine with me.

18. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

So we have come full circle. I really didnt saw that one coming. Heck I am really surprised Disney let it go to Nick.

19. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

To heck with Digimon. Give me VR Troopers.

20. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Man-oh-man, I hope filming and ADR returns to the LA area so some of the old actors could return. o_O

This is pretty dang huge, I hope Saban takes this chance to release home video. Heck, I have to wonder...do they now outright own the Disney episodes completely?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.